Mattress length question

I’ve been searching for a good mattress solution for the past few weeks, and - as some of you here may agree - I’m finding the amount of information truly overwhelming. So thanks for the opportunity to post a question to this forum.

I like the selection of mattresses available from Brooklyn Bedding, and they seem to be a favorite of this forum, well-reviewed with good customer service. I “chatted” with Mario yesterday to ask for suggestions that would make sense for my and my husband’s differing needs. One question I don’t feel he had a good answer for: why do the standard twin mattresses from BB measure 74" in length when the industry standard (as I’ve seen listed everywhere else in my research) is 75"? Mario said that “typically a mattress will not measure out to be exactly 75” even if that is what is advertised."

The reason I am looking at twin standard-length beds is that we want to up-size from a queen to a king, however the standard king length of 80" will not work in our space; the 75" twins together will help us accomplish our sort-of-king-size goal. At any rate, I’m having a hard time coming to terms with sacrificing yet another inch of the length of the bed.

Can anyone shed any light or experience on this?

Thanks!

[quote=“Helene” post=30281]
The reason I am looking at twin standard-length beds is that we want to up-size from a queen to a king, however the standard king length of 80" will not work in our space… [/quote]

Just to confirm, you know that a standard queen is 80" also? A king (76"x80") is basically 8" wider on either side than a queen (60"x80") - the length is the same.

But yes, the bedding industry isn’t built around tight tolerances… +/- 0.5" is common to see apparently.

Hi Helene,

As Mario and dn mentioned … there are no “exact” sizes with mattresses because you are dealing with soft materials that can be compressed or stretched to various degrees depending on the construction, the materials, and the cover. A “standard” twin size would be 75" as you mentioned but a tolerance of +/- 1" would generally be considered “normal” so their’s may be on the shorter end of the range. As long as you know the size of what you are considering and what to expect then you can make your size choices accordingly and factor it in with the other things that are important to you without “surprises” (outside of the normal variance).

Ad dn also mentioned … if you had a queen it would have been 80" long so you may have had a double or “full size (which is 53”- 54" wide x 75" long).

Some manufacturers will also make a “short queen” which is often used in RV’s and would usually be 60" x 74" - 75".

You may also find some “king size” mattresses for RV’s which are 72" x 75".

Mattress sizing … even in “standard sizes” … is not always consistent from mattress to mattress or from manufacturer to manufacturer and is rarely exact.

Phoenix

[/quote]Just to confirm, you know that a standard queen is 80" also? A king (76"x80") is basically 8" wider on either side than a queen (60"x80") - the length is the same.[/quote]

Thanks for your responses dn and Phoenix. And, yes, I know that our current queen is 80" long. It fits because it is 60" wide. The combination of 76" wide and the 80" length do not work however (without going into a detailed description of the dimensions of our bedroom!)

I appreciate your feedback! Thanks.