Mattress most similar to Original Tempurpedic

I have an original Tempurpedic mattress (the first model that came out and I think was called the OriginalBed) that’s definitely firm and to my liking. Don’t know the exact specs of it. I recently tested out a lightly used by a lightweight person Sealy Embody Introspection memory foam mattress that many people in online review thought was firm (which I like) but was disappointed as to the softness of it, in my opinion, as I like hard as a rock mattresses. I was expecting original Tempurpedic firmness based on the specs and online reviews. The specs of the Sealy Embody Introspection were as follows:

1/2" 2.5lb Ventilated Memory Foam
2.5" 5.0lb Memory Foam
Core: 7"HD Laminated Poly Core

What specs should I be looking for to match the original Tempurpedic or what are some other popular brands/models that are similar to the specs of the firmest Tempurpedic?

Hi Rohrgatz,

[quote]I was expecting original Tempurpedic firmness based on the specs and online reviews. The specs of the Sealy Embody Introspection were as follows:

1/2" 2.5lb Ventilated Memory Foam
2.5" 5.0lb Memory Foam
Core: 7"HD Laminated Poly Core[/quote]

The specs of a mattress aren’t a reliable way to try and “match” one mattress to another one in terms of firmness or “feel” because even if the type, thickness, and density of all the layers are the same the memory foam comfort layers or the polyfoam support core may be a different firmness level so two mattresses with the same density and thicness specs can be very different. The density of a foam is the most important factor in terms of durability but the density of a material isn’t a reliable indicator of it’s firmness because any density of memory foam or polyfoam can be made in a range of firmness levels. There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here.

The Tempurpedic Original used 2.8" of their 5.3 lb memory foam on a 5" polyfoam support core. The firmest mattress they make now would be the Contour Supreme which uses two layers of their 5.3 lb memory foam that total 3.4" over two layers of polyfoam support that total 8.1" and would be a little softer than the original but you could test this in the store to see if it’s “firm enough” for you.

The mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) any many of them make mattresses that are designed to approximate some or all of Tempurpedic’s current mattresses. There may also be some local mattresses that are a reasonable “match” to the original but you would need to test them in person to confirm that they would be “firm enough” for you. If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then a more detailed conversation with an online retailer or manufacturer will also be the most reliable source of information about the firmness of their mattresses (as well as the quality/density of their materials) and any of them would be able to tell you which of their mattresses are the firmest and would come closest to the Tempurpedic original.

Phoenix