Mattress Protector Inquiry

Iā€™ve been looking at the Suite Sleep one, too, as well as the CozyPure and now the one dn likes - wish sellers listed weight of product, or gave some idea of how thick the protectors are. I just donā€™t have it in me to drive all the way to Norfolk to see how theirs feels, so itā€™s a stab in the dark with these seeming good protectors - and a couple others that Mike listed from the clean bedroom site - too expensive not to like the first one I buy, so now I seem to be stuck worse than I was when it came to choosing a mattress! All I know is I want something that makes me feel Iā€™ve done an adquate job of protecting the mattress while not changing the feel of the Latex more than canā€™t be avoided.

All Lee said at Sleep Essentials where I got my mattress, when I asked him about putting a protector on the bed, was that I shouldnā€™t bother - just put sheets on it and sleep on it the way it is. Feels great that way - even with an extra bottom sheet that I added - but I canā€™t escape the feeling that it needs a protector.

Decisions, decisions - I had it narrowed down to the cozypure right up until I ran across that clean bedroom website and they have options . . . options that apparently donā€™t ship for a couple of weeks, or so. Patience is a virtue. I know. Itā€™s one I lack, and Iā€™m ready for my new bed to reach that mythical state of perfection so I can just enjoy it!

@mike, clawdia,

I just looked at the 2 covers you linked. The Suite Sleep and the Naturally Organic Oyasumi (presumably Sleeptek, which Phoenix said, as thatā€™s who their website makes their naturally organic line). As best I can tell both would be identical descriptions of the green sleep vasilo (on paper theyā€™re identical).

I got the vasilo because it was high quality and easy (I.e. It was right in front of me, I could touch it and decide). Plus it matches my bed which is green sleep, so I felt there value in keeping the whole experience with 1 company to have the best experience, and if warranty needed, no issue with an insufficient protector.

Clawdia, you might be able to get shipping weights from the clean bedroom with a phone call, and seems like a reasonable way to see if the products are the same or different.

It seems to me that the how the surface/top ā€œfeelā€ of a mattress protector works for you is very personal, and similar in that way to pillows. I know that for many others the St. Dormeir terry-cloth top works great, but Iā€™m with the others in this post that it feels a little like lying on a towel to me. This is such a personal preference, though, since the terry-cloth actually works well absorbing moisture, from a performance standpoint.

I own a Natura washable wool mattress protector (newer purchase; fitted like a sheet) as well as a Soaring Heart cotton mattress pad (old stand-by; unfitted). I think the Soaring Heart mattress pad has the very least effect on the mattress that it possibly could, because the protector just lies on top of the mattress, instead of fitting on 4 corners like a sheet. It doesnā€™t even have straps to hold it down. This eliminates any possibility whatsoever that the protector could create a drum effect and tighten the latex below. The only drawback is that these kinds of mattress pads do require a little more adjustment than the fitted styles, so that they donā€™t bunch up from tossing and turning. Iā€™d say I adjust mine weekly. But if I had spent a very long time picking a mattress which feels exactly right to me, Iā€™d probably consider the unfitted style.

Soaring Heart also has an unfitted wool mattress pad, which is just like a wool blanket you put under sheets. Pure Rest has a very similar one they call a Wool Puddle Pad, as does Holy Lamb and probably some others. Naturally Organic and Shepherdā€™s Dream have versions of these that also have thin straps that go under the mattress, but still do not fit like a sheet, so I think would have a lesser effect on the mattress.

Also, I just saw that Naturepedic has a cotton mattress pad that lies on top of the mattress like mine from Soaring Heart, but has thin straps on four sides, as does one from Rawganique. The Rawganique one is hard to find, so here is a link: http://www.rawganique.com/Bed/organic-cotton-mattress-pad-protector.htm

I have emailed the company to see what they recommend the suite sleep is $189 on their website I may get that one but I do like the idea of straps. But the ones you listed DahliaM are very expensive. Although the rawgnique looks good
While on the subject of bedding anyone recommend sheets that fit a 12" mattress
thanks)
Dn does your mattress protector cause any sort of drum effect?

Hi Mike7,

Post #3 here may be of some help.

Phoenix

I donā€™t know what a drum effect is?

Thanks phoenix how are the dreamfit bamboo sheets

Dn drum effect when the pad or sheets cause the mattress to feel like a tight drum

[quote=ā€œmike7ā€ post=25177]
Dn drum effect when the pad or sheets cause the mattress to feel like a tight drum[/quote]

Hi Mike7,

I believe I know what you mean, and no, it does not cause a drum effect. In fact quite the opposite, the material is very stretchable, and there is surplus material because a) itā€™s designed to fit deep mattresses, and since my mattress is only about 10" deep thereā€™s surplus, and b) we didnā€™t wash it yet, but thereā€™s generous extra material to allow for shrinking in the wash.

My guess/ assumption is any of the stretch knit mattress protectors you linked to (Suite Sleep, and Naturally Organic/Sleeptek) would be similar or equal, but since I only have the Green Sleep I can only report on it personally. Its kind of like a cotton t-shirt except the material about 4 times as thick and a bit more stretchy.

I think its down to these ones, Organic Cotton Knit Mattress Protector by Suite Sleep or
Bed Bath & Beyond | The Best Deals Online: Furniture, Bedding, Rugs, Kitchen Essentials & Moree on sale ā€” and the reviews seem good one bad review saying its thin but thats good if you want to feel the latex. this one is 15" pocket depth the suite sleep is 18" but is this the same as the following link because one site says you can use a dryer the other says you cant http://www.naturaworld.com/products/washable-wool-filled-mattress-pad/

I guess the wool would be better due to its water resistant properties and temperature regulating but does it take away from the latex feel?, and the other one seems to be more of a stretchy material and thinner but better in allowing the feel of latex
also if my mattress will be 12" how do you keep these in place if they have 18" pockets? and is 15" too tight?

if anyone who owns either one of these can share their experience
thanks-

Hi Mike7,

Based on some of the information Iā€™ve seen ā€¦ the Natura Wash N Snuggle mattress pad has about 18 oz / sq yd of wool and would have a bigger effect on the feel of the latex than a mattress pad with less wool. Some of the other Natura mattress pads have 10 oz sq yd. For reference the Dormeir has 4.5 oz / sq yd of wool and has a more stretchy cotton cover.

I have a Natura Protect Deluxe mattress protector which is probably in the range of 10 oz / sq yd of wool (and a semi permeable membrane as well so itā€™s waterproof) and for me it has a noticeable effect on the feel compared to sleeping directly on the latex.

Any of the knit cotton protectors would have less effect on the feel of the latex than the wool protectors.

Phoenix

I spoke with the owner of SuiteSleep very nice lady. They make the stretch knit cotton pad specifcally for the latex type mattresses. The only thing that concerns me was that she explained the knit pads would allow for moisture to reach the matttress where as the wool wouldnt should one sweat. Yet the wool mattress pad would change the feel as well as maybe tighten up the latex and ytake away from the feeel

I forgot to ask the natura wool pad I posted above would be even thicker than the one suite sleep sells?

Phoenix (or anyone else that has a clue . . .), can you tell if these two mattress protectors are the same? They both say made by CozyPure, but to me the first one doesnā€™t look just like the 2nd one - although they both say theyā€™re made of the same ticking as the mattresses they make . . .and the first one, at tomorrowsworld, doesnā€™t use the word ā€œmatelasseā€. Theyā€™re exactly the same price. Matelasse to me implies more of a textured feel, although I could be wrong, which is really the only reason Iā€™m looking for an alternative to the one from CozyPure.

http://www.tomorrowsworld.com/Organic-Cotton-Stretch-Knit-Mattress-Cover-QUEEN-p/09-3505.htm

and

Iā€™m still considering the Suite Sleep and the one dn likes so much that was from tmasc.ca, but that the cleanbedroom site has on 20% sale this month.

Ruled out the St. Dormeir - no matter how ā€œgoodā€ it is in many ways, the notion of putting something resembling terry cloth between me and my mattress isnā€™t something I find appealing.

@Mike7 and Clawdia;

Iā€™m still here if you want any questions of me, and really curious what you decide and what itā€™s like when you get it!

I donā€™t have any special insight more than you can see on the websites for the ones available for sale.

I think Phoenix nailed itā€¦ anything with wool (or any other ā€˜fillā€™, that has been quilted/knit into it) will change the feel far more than a plain cotton stretch knit mattress protector. I actually donā€™t suspect you could get any kind of wool that wouldnā€™t have an impact on the latex feel.

Mike, Clawdia: do your mattresses have wool quilted into the top layer of the mattress itself? if so, moisture might be less of a concern. My mattress does have thatā€¦ and yes, the layer of quilted wool that on the mattress surely changes the feel vs if I slept on the latex pads themselves.

Clawdia Suite Sleeps website has that mattress pad at less than clean bedroom even with the discount also a new version has a cover thats the same color.

dn no mine is a pure latex bliss they use a stretchy knit cover that also has a cooling fusion material. So yours has a wool cover and then a cotton strecth knit mattress pad? And you dont mind the loss of feel of the latex etc?
thanks)

My mattress is simple - a 6" core Dunlop layer with a 3" Dunlop softest comfort layer, all zipped up in a soft knit bamboo cover. The cover is removable and washable, although I still want a cover on it.

No wool anywhere - and no flame retardants. Bought the mattress with a doctorā€™s prescription.

mike7 - Iā€™ve seen that pad at Suite Sleep, too, and youā€™re right - itā€™s cheaper. It was another of those at that website that I was looking at harder, because of the 20% sale - that one that dn likes so much.

Ummm - edited to delete a paragraph that made no sense - I think I was sleepy.

I think Iā€™m going to order the CozyPure or the one dn likes, the name of which I can never remember, but I know how to find it. I was a little surprised to learn itā€™s only about 4 times the thickness of a t shirt, but that should still offer some protection for the mattress. I wish I could find a bamboo cover similar to the one that encases the mattress but perhaps a bit thicker, but Iā€™ve not found one that doesnā€™t either have too much stuff quilted into the cover, or a waterproof layer added.

Correct. The mattress I have has 9" of latex inside a cover. The cover is made out of cotton and wool. The top of of the cover has approximately 25oz wool per sq yard (I believe I read 800 grams per sq metre). The wool is quite compacted, and quilted into that layer. Itā€™s there for comfort and no doubt fire resistance. And then yes, correct, on top of that I have tht stretch knit mattress pad.

Yes, I like the feelā€¦ But thatā€™s personal preference. If you like the feel of only latex, the mattress with case I have would be a poor choice for you. (I have the green sleep Vicence mattress).

We purchased a Linen Spa mattress protector[/url for our PLB mattress and for our 10 year old Sealy Reflection hybrid latex mattress. Yes, it has a thin terry cloth top with a polyurethane backing. With a sheet on it you can not feel the terry cloth. It did not change the feel of either mattress, no drum effect, and sleeps cool. We have washed both twice and they look as good as new.
You can purchase it directly from Linen Spa with a 15% off coupon code, ENDOFSUMMER15, free shipping, and a 30 day money back guarantee. Reviews at [url=https://www.amazon.com/LinenSpaĀ®-Waterproof-Mattress-Protector-Eliminates-Warranty/dp/B00A2G9VFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380749256&sr=8-1&keywords=linenspa+mattress+protector] Amazon.

We purchased the Linen Spa mattress protector for our new PLB and 10 year old Sealy Reflection hybrid latex mattresses. Yes, it has a thin terry cloth top and a polyurethane backing, but with a sheet on it you can not feel the terry cloth. It did not change the feel of either mattress, has no ā€œdrum effectā€, and sleeps cool. We have washed both twice and they look as good as new. You can purchase it directly from Linen Spa, 15% off with promo code ENDOFSUMMER15, free shipping, and a 30 day money back guarantee.
Reviews at Amazon.

yes the plb comes tomorrow Ill see if i like it without a pad or maybe ill want a lil padding if so I may go with this one but the diamond quilting may be noticeable its still a great price Bed Bath & Beyond | The Best Deals Online: Furniture, Bedding, Rugs, Kitchen Essentials & Moree
If I go with the stretch knit ill choose suite sleep they were designed for a latex mattressā€¦
any other wool protectors please let me know thanks)