Mattress Protector Inquiry

Are there any readers that have tried the wool mattress pads that do not actually have a wool fill quilted in between cotton, but are simply wool felt (some with straps, some without, as described in Post #23 of this thread)?

I havenā€™t tried them out overnight, but have seen variants in local stores, and they really donā€™t seem thicker than the cotton stretch mattress protectors such as Green Sleep, so Iā€™d be surprised if they had more of an effect on the latex. Perhaps the inherent properties of wool felt will have less ā€œstretchā€ than knit cotton, though? Iā€™d be interested in trying one out, because wool is so great at temperature regulationā€¦and winter is coming.

Would you believe I still canā€™t make up my mind?

Buying the mattress was easier, for me!
:blush:

mike7,
I have a Natura washable wool-filled mattress pad that is the same or very similar to the one you linked to on Overstock, and I donā€™t think the diamond quilting is bothersome at all, personally. This is a good wool mattress pad but mine does firm up the latex just a little bit, as most quilted wool mattress protectors would (I imagine). Some people probably wouldnā€™t notice the slight firming effect at all - it depends how sensitive you are. For the record, I donā€™t believe this is because of the ā€œdrum effect,ā€ but rather that the wool is a little firmer than the soft 24 ILD latex below it.

Clawdia,
Iā€™m really interested in what you end up picking, especially since I know you love your mattress so much!

I ordered the Cozy Pure one last night.

I got tired of trying to decide, and figured I really couldnā€™t go wrong with this one.
I hope. Sometimes I really wish I werenā€™t quite so picky.

Hi Clawdia,

FWIW ā€¦ I think you made a great choice ā€¦ and Iā€™ll be interested in your ā€œreportā€ when you receive it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Sweet, I also look forward to how it is!

Iā€™ll let yā€™all know when it gets here - hopefully, sometime next week since it only has to travel a couple of hundred miles.

following up on mattress protectors. I used my current cotton padded protecter and it did change the feel of the latex in addition to added heat. If I keep thelatex mattress I will purchase the suite sleep organic protector as its strectch knit and was designed specifcally for latex mattresses

Iā€™ve been using my cotton matelasse protector from CozyPure for about a week now. When I first got it, it had a bit of a smell so I thought itā€™d be a good idea to wash and dry it. I did, according to the directions - used cold water, low heat. I could hardly stretch the corners enough to fit onto the mattress, seemed quite small, especially since my mattress is only 9". I finished making the bed, slept on it for a few nights, and then took everything off and started over. Apparently, just sleeping on the fabric for those nights was enough to stretch the protector out to where it now fits. Thereā€™s not a lot of excess material that needs to be tucked under, but thatā€™s all right as it doesnā€™t change the feel of the latex after the first night or two, and is just what I wanted.

I like the feel of it so much that I ordered a blanket out of the same material, and Iā€™m thinking about trying one of the Lanoodle pillows from them. Iā€™ve got the blanket in the wash right now, since UPS just dropped it off. I think this time Iā€™ll dry it on low for a little while, check it, and then dry it for a few more minutes, over and over until itā€™s dry enough to put on the bed. I figure worst case scenario, Iā€™ll just sleep on it instead of under it for a few days if it does shrink more than I want, and itā€™ll be fine. :wink:

Hi Claudia,
I apologize for being so late posting a reply. I actually wrote an email from my house on Oct 17th and sent it to the shop so I could post it here, but time has a way of getting away from me!

Anyway hereā€™s what I wrote a week and a half ago:
I want to address a few things from your post about our organic cotton protector and hopefully answer some questionsā€¦

1 - Yes we did change the design - but not the fabric. Itā€™s the same thing just now it has our exclusive design which no one else can use. The composition of the fabric is identical to the previous version and there is no change in how it feels. Itā€™s strictly a cosmetic difference.

2 - Weā€™ve been making the covers for about 8 years and have sold hundreds every year, without any complaints. Theyā€™re patterned to fit mattresses up to approx 14" (pocket depth). Weā€™ve not had any customers say they donā€™t fit so if yours is not fitting properly, itā€™s an isolated case and weā€™ll need to find out why (hot-water washing and high-heat drying could be the case resulting in too much shrinkage, however itā€™s also possible we did something on our end but Iā€™ll have to consult our cutting room supervisor). The pockets have a 16 - 17" depth before washing, designed to shrink to approx 14". Note that after washing and drying and first placement on your mattress it may be a little restricted since itā€™s freshly washed & dried, and it may need to ā€œrelaxā€. This is a stretch-knit fabric so it will give more with time (a night or two should stretch it a bit more). Otherwise, again it could be an excessive shrinkage issue due to hot wash & high-heat dryer or perhaps a cutting problem. PLEASE CALL US so we can discuss in detail the specifics relating to your situation. We are always here to help our customers :slight_smile:

3 - Our covers are designed primarily for our mattresses which use the exact same fabric (but our mattresses also feature wool quilting on the surface), so thereā€™s not much difference in the feel at all when using the cover on our mattresses. Now of course our protector covers can be used on other mattresses, however since the top panel of mattresses from other manufacturers can be very different from ours, thereā€™s no guarantee that it can retain the same exact feeling. In fact, putting anything on top of your mattress will most likely change the feel in some way (and most mattress protectors are quilted and therefore change it dramatically, whereas ours is a flat stretch knit and doesnā€™t change it that much). But again it depends a lot on how the top panel of your mattress is constructed. For instance you mention your mattress cover is bamboo and many zippered bamboo covers donā€™t have the wool quilting, theyā€™re treated with FR and have a flat surface which puts you in very direct contact with the latex so adding anything on top of a cover like that, will of course affect the feel.

4 - Iā€™m attaching a photo of our queen size mattress cover on our 12" perfection mattress so you can see that it still offers some room to accommodate a few more inches.

Again, to my knowledge this is the first time Iā€™ve heard anyone say our cover doesnā€™t fit properly. Most people call and order more covers for all the mattresses in their house because they love it so much, so this surprises me very much and weā€™re here to help! Please give us a call :slight_smile:

Cheryl Hahn