Mattress Purchase

My wife and I have been researching mattresses. We are going to check out Magic Sleeper in Pottstown, PA tomorrow. We would like to get an adjustable base with the new mattress. Couple of quick questions:

1. How is the quality of Magic Sleeper’s adjustable bases?

2. Their website pretty heavily advertises for Serta. If the basic premise of The Mattress Underground website is that commercial manufacturers are overpriced and inferior quality, why are they advertising Serta?

3. How does Magic Sleep compare to Verlo (Pennsylvania). Verlo doesn’t advertise their prices, so it makes it difficult to shop, but I am going to visit their store tomorrow. I see Verlo uses polyfoam in a lot of their beds, including some that appear to be their higher models. The use of polyfoam is what turns me off from purchasing a Tempurpedic. Does this bring Verlo’s mattress quality into question?

4. I have tried to compare specs with relative success. How do Magic Sleep’s products compare to:

a. Tempurpedic
b. Aireloom

I understand Magic Sleep has significantly lower prices than Tempurpedic or Aireloom, but how does the quality compare? I know Serta’s memory foam beds (iCloud, iComfort, iSeries, etc. depending which store you are in, they have an exclusive line for every retail outlet to avoid the consumer shopping their product) have significantly less foam density than Tempurpedic and their coil beds are significantly lower quality than Aireloom.

Are the beds manufactured by Magic Sleep similar quality to Serta, but cheaper? Or similar quality to Tempurpedic and Aireloom, but cheaper? Or better than all of above and cheaper?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. I will be back with a follow up after my visit to the Magic Sleep retail store tomorrow.

Hi chris105,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ,… and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

There is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research and I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you call the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at websites.

I would treat all the major adjustable bed manufacturers as being closely comparable in terms of quality and reliability so choosing an adjustable bed is really a matter of choosing the model that has the features that are most important to you at a price that competes well with other models that have the same features.

They are the only ones that can answer this (I don’t have access to all the information and reasons behind why any manufacturer or retailer would choose to make or carry the mattresses that they carry) but sometimes it can be just to draw traffic through the door because such a high percentage of consumers only look for major brand mattresses and ignore any other options that may be available to them.

All the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay and I would avoid any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see this article) and confirm that they meet the quality/durability guidelines here which would exclude almost all of the major brand mattresses (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

It would depend on the specifics of the mattresses you are comparing.

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or any exchange/return options that are available to you).

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else in terms of firmness, “comfort”, or PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP (which is all about how well you will sleep on a mattress) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is it’s durability and in terms of durability a mattress is only as good as its construction and the type, quality, and durability of the materials inside it (which is all about how long you will sleep well) regardless of the name of the manufacturer or the name of the mattress on the label.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

There are certainly many mattresses in the industry that use lower quality/density polyfoam in their design which would be a weak link in their mattresses in terms of durability and would be subject to premature softening and breakdown (including many major brand mattresses) but there are also higher density versions of polyfoam that are a very high quality and very durable material that would certainly be well worth considering. It all depends on the quality/density of the polyfoam.

Again it would depend on the specifics of the materials and components inside the mattresses you are comparing rather than the name of the manufacturer or the price of the mattress.

I would generally avoid Aireloom because it’s unlikely that they will provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses (see this article).

Tempurepedic tends to use higher quality and more durable materials in most (but not all) of their mattresses but they are also in a much higher budget range than many other similar mattresses made by smaller manufacturers that use similar or in some cases better quality materials and sell in much lower budget ranges. You can see some comments in general about Tempurpedic in post #10 here and in post #2 here.

There is also more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort” and PPP based on the specifications of the mattress.

It’s much simpler to compare the quality and durability of the materials inside a mattress and a mattress as a whole once you have found out the specifics of all the materials and component inside it because durability is more objective than “comfort” and PPP which is why dealilng with a knowledgeable and transparent retailer or manufacturer can be so important).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so while you may find some local mattresses that use “similar” materials or designs and there would be many others that are in a similar general category or firmness range … they will generally have different combinations of foam layers and components so the only way to know how they compare in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP would be based on your own personal testing and experience.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback after your visit :slight_smile:

Phoenix

There are probably a few members of TMU that sell products not recommended by TMU.

Brooklyn Bedding promotes and sells Serta Mattresses in their Arizona stores, aka, R&S Mattress. Serta is described as one of the best beds in the business.

R & S Mattress