Mattress Recommendation

Hi, this is my first time posting here (and first time buying a mattress) so I apologize if this out of place.

My partner and I are looking for a new king sized mattress and could really use some help. We are both tall (5ā€™11 and 6ā€™3) and both around 210-220 pounds. Weā€™ve been doing some research, but are having a hard time finding the best option for our needs.

Our main needs are:

1. excellent edge support (we both tend to sleep close to the edge and sit on it often)
  2. minimal heat retention (we both sleep very hot and often get sweaty/wake up from being hot)
  3. pretty firm (like a 7-8 on a scale of 1-10).

As far as sleep styles, we both toss and turn in the night so itā€™s important that weā€™re able to move around easily. Weā€™ve recently tried a memory foam mattress in store and really didnā€™t like it because of the restricted mobility and feeling like we were sinking into the mattress. I also prefer my mattress to have a bit of bounce otherwise it just feels dead to me (Side note: weā€™re both heavy sleepers so the whole motion isolation thing is not really a priority for us) Other than that, I primarily sleep on my stomach/side and he primarily sleeps on his back/side but we both prefer firm mattresses. We like feeling like weā€™re on top of the mattress rather than ā€œinā€ it if that makes sense.

We were able to try the saatva zenhaven in store and we really liked the firm side of it, but we felt like we should continue searching to see if thereā€™s anything better for the money (it was $3k for the zenhaven). I was considering a custom latex mattress from flexus, but Iā€™m concerned that an all latex mattress will not have good enough edge support. Currently, Iā€™m mainly considering a latex/coil hybrid but canā€™t decide which brand to go for. I see that flexus, AP, sleepez and saatva have similar options but donā€™t know which would be best for our needs. Iā€™m also willing to consider any other brand as long as itā€™s under $3k. Do you have any recommendations? Would a latex/coil hybrid even be the best choice?

I also would like to note that when Iā€™m at home, I spend a majority of the time on my bed (both sitting and laying down). I sometimes even do meetings from my bed, so itā€™s not just for sleep.

Hi az333, and welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:
Glad to have you here.

[quote]My partner and I are looking for a new king sized mattress and could really use some help. We are both tall (5ā€™11 and 6ā€™3) and both around 210-220 pounds. Weā€™ve been doing some research, but are having a hard time finding the best option for our needs. Our main needs are:

1. excellent edge support (we both tend to sleep close to the edge and sit on it often)
  2. minimal heat retention (we both sleep very hot and often get sweaty/wake up from being hot)
  3. pretty firm (like a 7-8 on a scale of 1-10).
    As far as sleep styles, we both toss and turn in the night so itā€™s important that weā€™re able to move around easily[/quote]
    A new mattress is an important purchase, and itsā€™ good you are taking the time to take a look at your options since this is your first mattress. Any mattress is unique to the sleepers who sleep on it, and is based on your stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions, if any), and your PPP(Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Thanks for providing you and your partnersā€™ stats ā€“ you donā€™t say if you have any health issues or soreness on waking, but that you did not like the feel of the memory foam mattress you tried in a store.

First you may want to take a look at the mattress shopping tutorial to get an idea of what your options are, as well as the mattress specifications you need to know, and also themattress durability guidelines to see how different components hold up over time. Both a hybrid latex and an all latex bed in firm or medium firm wonā€™t present durability issues given your higher BMIs. So thatā€™s a good direction thus far in terms of durability.

[quote] Weā€™ve recently tried a memory foam mattress in store and really didnā€™t like it because of the restricted mobility and feeling like we were sinking into the mattress. I also prefer my mattress to have a bit of bounce otherwise it just feels dead to me.
(Side note: weā€™re both heavy sleepers so the whole motion isolation thing is not really a priority for us)Other than that, I primarily sleep on my stomach/side and he primarily sleeps on his back/side but we both prefer firm mattresses. We like feeling like weā€™re on top of the mattress rather than ā€œinā€ it if that makes sense.[/quote]
You have already identified some materials that you likely want to avoid, like memory foam, and as you are not concerned with motion isolation, you can likely not be concerned with a zoned latex. Since you both sleep very ā€˜hotā€™ you will want to look for mattresses that have a breathable layer closest to the sleepers ā€“ like cotton, wool, or coconut coir ā€“ to keep perspiration from gathering around your bodies while you sleep. As you both prefer firm mattresses, a firmer ILD latex mattress, or a hybrid with quality high density foam, along with a pocketed coil innerspring base with edge support, since you spend a lot of time on your bed besides sleeping, and you both prioritize firmness, this may be worth looking at.

[quote] We were able to try the saatva zenhaven in store and we really liked the firm side of it, but we felt like we should continue searching to see if thereā€™s anything better for the money (it was $3k for the zenhaven). I was considering a custom latex mattress from flexus, but Iā€™m concerned that an all latex mattress will not have good enough edge support. Currently, Iā€™m mainly considering a latex/coil hybrid but canā€™t decide which brand to go for. I see that flexus, AP, sleepez and saatva have similar options but donā€™t know which would be best for our needs. Iā€™m also willing to consider any other brand as long as itā€™under $3k. Do you have any recommendations? Would a latex/coil hybrid even be the best choice?
I also would like to note that when Iā€™m at home, I spend a majority of the time on my bed (both sitting and laying down). I sometimes even do meetings from my bed, so itā€™s not just for sleep.[/quote]
I took a look at the Saatva ZenHaven, which is a 10" flippable Latex mattress with a ā€˜plushā€™ side and a ā€˜luxury firmā€™ side. Latex is naturally more breathable than any other type of foams layers in between the latex layers but even though they do not list the thicknesses or (ILD ā€“ Indentation Layer Deflection, the higher the ILD the firmer the latex) so Iā€™d make sure to get the comfort level to match up with your needs and that is approximating Saatva you tried. I am glad you both prefer firmer sleeping surfaces as those would be most appropriate for your stomach sleeping and your partnerā€™s back sleeping. Additionally, firmer sleeping surfaces would sleep cooler as you wonā€™t sink in too much and trap the body heat thus creating a hotter and more humid sleeping microclimate. Firmer surfaces will also help with sitting on the edge or mattress roll off. . You may want to look at these few readings about Sleeping style, andHigher BMI people. There is also more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range., for more relevant details, but all in all you are on the right track with everything. Saatva uses a proprietary 100% natural Dunlop latex which is a little firmer than Talalay latex in the same ILD. So thatā€™s a good choice of a material as well. Latex is a little lower on the scale when it comes to motion isolation than memory foam but that is not important criteria for you.

For a 3k budget ā€“ you should be able to find a lot of offerings under that price. The other manufacturers you mention ā€“ Flexus Comfort , Arizona Premium and Arizona SleepEZ Factory are all trusted members of the site, and all are transparent regarding the materials and construction of their mattresses but above all they have great customer support and help to find the best comfort option that would be a perfect fit for you both sleepers. . If you can provide them with a little information, and the concerns stated above, they will strive to match you with a mattress that suits you both and will last a long time. In the end, though, keep in mind that only you and your partner can determine what works for you. To address the edge support issue, you may want to read thisPhoenix post here.

[quote]Because of its point elasticity though ā€¦ those who sit on the very outside edge a lot (instead of sitting with your body weight more into the middle of the mattress) or who sleep with more concentrated weight on the outside few inches of their mattress may find themselves sinking down more than they like even though this isnā€™t normally an issue when sleeping on the mattress. For those who prefer a firmer edge then there are a few latex mattresses that use whatā€™s called a ā€œracetrackā€ perimeter where the outer few inches of the latex support core is surrounded with a firmer foam. Unfortunately, most of the time this firmer foam is a much less durable (but firmer) polyfoam which will soften and break down sooner than the latex and what starts out as a positive can become a negative over time (depending on the density of the polyfoam this can sometimes be a fairly short time). Because of this it would be much better to use firmer latex in those cases where perimeter support is preferred rather than less durable polyfoam but this is an uncommon construction for latex.
In most cases though ā€¦ a latex support layer that is firm enough relative to body weight of the person sleeping on the mattress will be fine for most people. [/quote]
I am not sure if any of our trusted members provide edge support on their products, but if you are set on that, you can call any of them and inquireā€¦for example, membersDIY Mattress and alsoLatex Mattress Factory botth are experienced with providing custom latex mattresses, so they may be a good place to start.

I wish you success on your mattress journey!

Basilio