Mattress report: Liteterie Provincial Latex 100% Natural Talalay

Hi astralmind,

Thanks for taking the time to share your Montreal experiences ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Sometimes the simplest choice can also turn out to be the best choice ā€¦ and a single core of latex on a box spring (that has some give and can add more of a ā€œbottomless feelā€ to a thinner latex mattress vs a solid non flexing foundation) is certainly a combination that works well for many people.

Most importantly ā€¦ congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Itā€™s not unusual at all that different manufacturers have different opinions about things based on their experiences and that are sometimes influenced by the mattresses they sell as well. I would agree with them though ā€œto a pointā€ that thickness by itself is just a side effect of the design and internal layering of a mattress and is only one of many factors and specs that will affect how a mattress feels and performs so using thickness by itself as a guideline isnā€™t particularly practical or meaningful (see post #2 here). If your testing or personal sleeping experience indicates that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP then itā€™s ā€œthick enoughā€ although if you have a box spring (with springs) under your mattress vs a foundation (that has no flex at all) then the box spring would be a more active part of your sleeping system that would add some give and softness and depth of support under your mattress and can result in a combination that doesnā€™t need a separate comfort layer for many people.

I would also agree that a two sided mattress will have ā€œless benefitā€ with a single monoblock layer of latex that is all the same firmness vs a mattress that has softer comfort layers on each side of a firmer support core although I wouldnā€™t agree that it would have no benefit at all.

Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback once youā€™ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix