Mattress Return Experiences in NYC

Hi,

Has anyone had any experiences (positive or negative) with returning bed in a box mattresses from NYC? I’m shopping for my first bed in a box mattress (all previous mattresses were purchased locally), and have read about mixed experiences with returning mattresses from NYC within the trial period. Pretty much all mattress companies want you to donate the mattress to a charity in order to process the refund. However, none of the charities in NYC accept used mattresses due to fears about bedbugs. Some companies will set up the donation and pickup for you, so the return experience is smooth. But others request that the customer look for a charity or someone on craigslist to take the mattress. People on craigslist are equally afraid of bedbugs and won’t take free used mattresses also. In the case where you’re unable to donate the bed, you need to pay a junk collector to collect the bed, and different companies have different policies on whether they will reimburse you for the collection. I’ve gotten mixed/vague feedback from some of the mattress companies I’ve contacted. Wondering if anyone here has had return experiences with specific mattress companies they can share. A lot of showrooms are closed right now, making it more difficult to know which mattresses definitely won’t work for me.

Thanks,
Jen

Hi Jen,
I had a return from Sleep On Latex and I live in the Chicago suburban area where there similarly seems to be no charities that accept used mattress donations. They handled it completely and arranged for 1-800-GOT-JUNK to make the pickup and I just had to be home at the scheduled time. As soon as the pickup was confirmed SoL promptly issued me a full refund. SoL is known for having excellent customer service and is a Trusted Member of TMU.
Hope that helps,

• Bill

Hi pucknyc:

As you mentioned, most online-only mattress companies will have different policies should you take advantage of their return/exchange policy for those who live in an area where it is difficult to donate a mattress. Some will arrange for a pick up. Some will tell you to dispose of it (they may or may not offer a reimbursement for this). Others may simply issue a refund and tell you to do whatever you want to with the mattress.

You will want to get the policy of any online mattress company for your area (especially if there are special situations) in print or in an email beforehand to make sure you’ll know what to do should you not like a mattress you purchase online.

Spindle recently partnered with 1-800-GOT-JUNK to create a mattress recycling and donation program. There’s also Renewable Recycling in NYC. This article talks about these two options: Now You Can Recycle Your Mattress in NYC.

Additionally, donations of all kinds are being curtailed nationally due to COVID-19, so this is something that all of the online mattress companies are aware of and should be addressing as a special circumstance.

I’m not sure that placing your question in my section of the forum is the best place to get the largest response for a topic like this. The moderator may wish to place this in the general section of the TMU site for more people to view who may have had experiences returning a mattress in NYC.

Hopefully you’ll get more responses from others in the NYC area.

Good luck!

Thanks, Jeff. I was trying to post under General Mattress Questions but when I selected start a new topic, the menu for topics wouldn’t let me select it. It was greyed out and the selection defaulted to Luma. It would only let me select the more specific topics underneath. Maybe it was something to do with the new website design.

Thanks,
Jenny

Yes, I found out yesterday that due to the site redesign, posting to the general forum section has been temporarily restricted while the new design is debugged.