Mattress Search Feels Hopeless

I started my mattress search in June. I’ve read Mattress Underground’s educational materials, but I still feel as overwhelmed as ever. I wanted to go with a local Trusted Member, but when I visited them, none of the mattresses felt comfortable at all. So I’ve been leaning towards a major manufacturer, but of course I can’t assess the quality of materials since they aren’t transparent about that.

I am average size (5’9’’ and 165 lbs, although I believe I carry a lot of weight in my hips/butt) and predominantly sleep on my back. The Trusted Member’s mattresses did not appropriate support my back (my hips sank uncomfortably). I mentioned it to the salesperson, who directed me to the most expensive mattress, which also did not appropriately support my back.

I’m very confused because this company has so many glowing reviews. I wonder if the floor models were too worn out to accurately reflect the feel of a new mattress? Does anyone have any recommendations for me to reassess this Trusted Member? How to effectively communicate my problem with them and what a possible solution would be?

After hours and hours of testing, I narrowed my choice down to three major manufacturers’ mattresses which felt comfortable (BeautyRest Harmony, BeautyRest Harmony Lux, and Sealy Posturepedic Premium Hybrid). The mattresses were 15" with about 5 inches of comfort layers and 2 inches of quilt (priced $1,400-$1,800). Given that the quality of the foam used in the comfort layers is unknown, and also considering the multitude of reviewers all writing, “This mattress started GREAT, but became unbearable within months due to sagging,” I assume I should eliminate these options right!?

Then there’s the Beautyrest PressureSmart 2.0 Plush 11.75" Mattress at Mattress Firm, which at least doesn’t have all those inches of low quality foam, but I don’t know how comfortable it is…

I don’t know what to do and I want to cry! I felt pressure to purchase a mattress on Memorial Day and now I feel pressure to purchase a mattress on Labor Day. I know, I know: “Never let a ‘major sale’ create a sense of urgency.”

I just had that Beautyrest Pressure Smart 2.0 delivered today. Fingers crossed. The outgassing is intense right now, maybe it sat on the truck in the heat wrapped in plastic all day? Hope tomorrow is better.

1 Like

Id check out Aireloom Preferred Luxetop M1 or M2 in Firm or Plush (4 mattresses). M1 is 1 layer of microcoils and M2 is 2 layers. Firm or plush is coil firmness. I like M1 Firm myself. Also, check out the Streamline Luxury Firm.

John

Check out King Koil Pure Bliss Latex (100% Talalay). They are nationwide. Go to website to find a retailer. Prepare to be shocked because the mattress is incredible!

John

I hope it works well for you!!! I wish you bought it a year ago to give an update :laughing:

I know what you mean about the off-gassing, because I went to two retailers right after they changed out the floor models and it was making me so nauseous. :fearful:

When I bought my kids new memory foam mattresses, I would open up the windows and keep a high speed fan on for a couple days. I don’t know whether it sped up the process, but it kept the air more bearable.

Thank you so much for all the recommendations!! It appears they all cost about $3,000+ correct? That’s quite a bit out of my budget right now. :pensive: Maybe I should contemplate just choosing a sub $1k mattress now with the assumption that it will break down quick and I’ll hopefully be able to afford something higher end in a couple years. I don’t know lol.

Also kind of funny, one of the local retailers is named “The Dump” :flushed::rofl: It’s a luxury furniture outlet.

They are pricy for sure!

But I think that having back pain and health issues from a mattress is even more expensive!

I would get a loan and/or part time job and get the mattress you want the first time. I dont think that buying a mattress is a good time to be cheap. You probably dont need a $100k Hastens mattress, but $3-5k is so doable!

You can try Costco mattresses too!

John

1 Like