Mattress shopping in Brooklyn, NY

I’m ready to invest in a quality mattress, but having trouble locking down the right stores to go visit.

I live in Brooklyn, NY and don’t have a car so my options are pretty much limited to whatever I can get to by train/subway. I know there are plenty of stores around me that sell mattresses, I just want to make sure that I go to one where I can get some quality help and a good value.

Are there any stores that have a good reputation or that other people have had success with? I could easily do an online purchase as well, I just really want to get a feel for the different types first. If I do an online purchase, is it bad form to go to a store with the sole purpose of just trying out the different types of mattresses?

Here is some general info about what I am looking for:
Price - around 1500$ for a queen
Type - undecided, but most likely a high quality spring or latex mattress
Positions - I sleep on my stomach or my side, my girlfriend is a side sleeper
Preference - I like a somewhat firm mattress, my girlfriend likes it a little more towards the middle range.
Other - Needs to be breathable, we both get hot.

Hi rierevin,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

Once you are ready to start testing mattresses then some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the area are listed in post #2 here and there is also a more categorized list with more detailed descriptions of many of them in post #7 here.

Of course if you have questions along the way feel free to post them here.

Phoenix