Mattress Shopping in NYC

I’m glad I found this site before buying a mattress. I currently have a 10 year old innerspring mattress with a pillow top. The mattress is so thick that getting sheets is a pain in the neck. While this mattress served me well, none of the mattresses at the chain stores felt comfortable.

I’ve been thinking about latex due to the durability. I went to IKEA and tried their latex mattress (the one that’s 85% natural thats been referenced in other posts). The best word I could find for it would be bouncy. Are all latex mattresses like that?

I’m a side sleeper. 6ft tall with weight fluctuating between 225 and 240. I thought the latex was OK on my back but on my side I don’t think it cradled well so I always felt like I would roll over.

I’d like to hear any suggestions as well as places in NYC to shop. Thanks!

I went to The Clean Bedroom to check out latex mattresses – they have different types of set ups and brands, and they were very pleasant and knowledgeable. No hard sales pitch, really seemed more focused on what I wanted and just letting me try different things and giving suggestions. I didn’t visit them, but Long’s bedding also has latex options (their own brand and OMI I believe.).

For me, the try-outs were really important and helped me narrow down the choices. After giving it a lot of consideration, I will most likely end up purchasing from SleepEZ since the prices are much better for what seems to me to be an almost exact match in terms of quality of construction, materials, and return policy. (I did buy other items from Clean Bedroom tho, so they did get a nice chunk of my biz :slight_smile:

Hope that helps and good luck!

Hi SleepNYC,

Latex is a highly resilient material so it would be more “springy” or “bouncy” (depending on the type of latex) but there is also a wide range of different “feels” with a latex mattress and some are moreso than others and the type of quilting in the cover will make a difference as well.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … post #1 here has the basic information, steps and guidelines that can help you make the best choices.

In addition to kmk9’s suggestions and experience … some of the better options in and around New York City are listed in post #2 here and there is a more categorized list with more detailed descriptions of many of them in post #7 here.

Phoenix