Mattress Shopping Nightmare

:unsure: We really need help! Our current Serta Kentland king mattress is 6 years old and we have two huge hammocks where each of us sleep. For months, my husband has had lower back pain that wakes him up, and I have knots in my neck every morning. We need a new mattress ASAP and have discovered that shopping is a NIGHTMARE!

We actually purchased a mattress today (BEFORE I discovered this site) and I’m wondering if you could take a look and give me some feedback. It hasn’t been delivered so I can still cancel without taking a hit. We got the ELGIN by Summerhill & Bischop at Ortho Mattress. The salesman bragged about it’s pocketed coils and 2 and 1/2 inch “rubber” pillow top. Here is the link:

http://www.orthomattress.com/mattresses/summerhill-and-bischop-elgin-pillowtop.html

It seemed very comfortable in the store but I’m afraid it’s going to sag like the one we have now. I am usually a side sleeper, my husband is a back sleeper.

This has to be a looooong term investment for us (we can’t afford to replace it every few years). PLEASE HELP!!

Hi miss_lins,

A mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials and construction that goes into it and unfortunately the description on the website doesn’t include any meaningful information about the specific layers of the mattress and the type and quality of materials that they use so it’s not possible to give you any meaningful comments about it.

I would call them and ask them about the specific materials and components that are in the mattress (including the density of any memory foam or polyfoam) and if you post it here I’d be happy to let you know what I think about them.

If you do decide to look elsewhere (and I personally wouldn’t buy a mattress where I didn’t know the specifics of the materials that were in it) … then post #1 here and the information it links to would probably be helpful as a step by step guide to finding the best possible quality and value mattress.

Buying a mattress without knowing what is in it is much like buying furniture that is made of particle board with a nice veneer cover but paying real wood prices. Both will have a similar look and performance but the lower quality particle board won’t last as long. In the same way … low quality materials in a mattress can feel the same as high quality materials (you can’t feel quality) … they just don’t last nearly as long.

If you follow the steps in the post I linked you can certainly find some great quality and value that will last you a long time but again … the most important part is connecting with local manufacturers or better sleep shops that are completely transparent and will tell you the quality specs of the materials in your mattress so that the weak link of your mattress (generally lower quality foams in the comfort layers of the mattress) doesn’t lead to premature softening and the loss of comfort and support that is so common in most of the mattresses sold today.

Phoenix