Mattress suggestion needed

I slept better than I have in a very long time this past week in an Air BnB. I thought my back and shoulder pain were due to getting older but apparently it’s my mattress! I realize this mattress is no longer made, but I’m hoping to get something as close as possible. See picture. Thanks for any input!

Hi Idohair2 and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Great that you had a relaxing sleep on the Beautyrest mattress at the air bnb! As you probably know, any mattress you choose will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) & any underlying health issues and you PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). You can also take a look at the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know compared to the Mattress Durability Guidelines to see how certain materials will last over time.

Replicating a mattress can often be a frustrating experience, unless you can find the exact specifications of each of the layers. Beautyrest, like most of the ‘big brands’ are not transparent in the details of their components, listing no density and sometimes, not even the thickness of their lsyers; as there foam is of a proprietary formula, there’s no way to assess the suitability of durability for any consumer with these. Memory foam, if it’s of insufficient density of inexpensive ‘filler’ is used, can break down prematurely, leaving ‘ridges’, ‘valleys’ or worn ‘sagging’ areas. A few ‘good nights’ of rest doesn’t really tell you much - except that your current mattress may be in bad shape where any half decent mattress will feel comfortable. We recommend any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support you are looking for a memory foam hybrid mattress, many of the Trusted Members of the site offer a variety of foam hybrids, with full transparency in construction, layer density and thickness…by providing them with you Stats, PPP and mattress history, they can help you to find a sleep solution based on your own body profile, and they also have generous return and exchange policies. This can take a lot of the guesswork out of shopping for a new mattress. If you can give us your Stats and any specific mattresses you are looking for, we can possibly comment on their suitability.

~ Basilio

I’m trying to stay away from any and all memory foam if possible. I am a 5’10" woman, 160lbs, I sleep on both sides throughout the night, and have occasional acid reflux. I guess I like a somewhat firm mattress I think. Looking for queen or king and I sleep alone.

Hi Idohair2,

Thanks for providing your Stats! The mattress you slept on at the air bnb is a foam hybrid with a pillowtop, with pocketed coil innerspring with edge support. You can see @Phoenix on the difficulty in replicating hotel mattresses in post #3 here. With your lower BMI, you have a lot of options for a new mattress…you don’t say what type your current mattress is, but it sounds like a latex hybrid may provide the comfort and support you are looking for. Different types of latex have different ‘feels’: Talalay is bouncier than Dunlop (the difference is like angel food cake vs. pound cake). Latex is one of the most durable materials you can have in a mattress. Also, with your acid reflux, another option could be an all-latex mattress with an adjustable base, allowing you to raise your upper body at night to relieve your symptoms.

In either case, many of the Trusted Members of the site offer various latex and latex hybrid mattresses in differing configurations and firmnesses, like Arizona Premium Mattress, Luma Sleep, Latex Mattress Factory, European Sleep Works, and The Mattress Factory, among others, carry quality latex and latex hybrid mattresses, and have experience in finding the perfect sleep solution for any sleeper…if you provide them with your Stats, PPP and mattress history, and the firm comfort level you want, they can tell you what options are available.

While it may not quite match the bliss of sleeping on a decent mattress after spending time on one that’s seen better days, a good latex mattress will last you many years, and provide you with many restful nights. Please let us know how your mattress search goes!

~ Basilio