Mattress support cores - innersprings

Information About Innersprings

Innerspring mattresses remain the most popular type of mattress. They are generally less expensive to manufacture than a high-quality HR or latex foam and they have been developed over time to provide a wide range of characteristics that provide different benefits for different needs. Although there is a wide variety of different innerspring designs, they can be roughly grouped into 4 main categories. These are Bonnell, Offset, Continuous coils, and Pocket coils. There are also many different names for each type but they will all generally fall in one of these categories.

Good quality Pocket coils, in general, have the greatest “response range” which means that they can be softer on initial compression and then firmer on deeper compression. They also have the advantage of providing greater “point elasticity” which is the ability to form itself around your body profile. This means that they are particularly suitable for use in “progressive” mattress designs or with comfort layers like natural fibers which have less elasticity and the ability to form a pressure relieving cradle as they can “borrow” this ability to some degree from the innerspring beneath it. In their best quality, they are the most expensive innerspring to manufacture however there are many cheaper versions that are being imported. How they are joined together, the nesting pattern, and what surrounds them is important to quality as the biggest disadvantage of a lower quality pocket coil is that they can migrate with use through lower quality pockets, fabrics, or methods of connecting them together. North American made pocket coils are usually (although certainly not always) higher in quality than Asian imports. In the case of pocket coils … more is generally better as more coils allow the use of softer higher gauge wire and give the innerspring a greater ability to help the comfort layer in forming a cradle. If you are comparing here though (for those of you who just can’t resist the temptation to count coils), only compare pocket coils to pocket coils since even rough comparisons between categories can be very misleading and in many cases, meaningless

Good quality Offset coils share some of the same qualities of Pocket coils and are often used in higher quality mattresses. They are an offshoot of Bonnell coils with a “hinged and shaped (squared) wire” on top which when joined with the coil next to it (with a helical wire) creates a hinging effect which flexes under softer pressure while the main body of the coil “kicks in” with deeper compression. There are several versions including free arm offset and double offset (has a squared-off section on each side of the coil). Some of these hinges extend to one side only while others extend to both sides. Some are also hinged on the top and bottom. They have the ability to be both soft on top and firmer with deeper pressure and can be made firmer than Pocket coils because the individual coils are joined together with a “helical wire” and can “share the load” more than a pocket coil. For those who need some softness in an innerspring support layer and then firm support underneath this, an offset coil is a very good choice. They are generally the second most expensive form of innerspring although in their more complex designs they can approach the manufacturing expense of some pocket coils. These too would be very suitable for either a progressive or a differential mattress design.

Bonnell coils are the original mattress coil and are a development of wire coils used under seats in horse and buggy days. They have an hourglass shape and can be made with many different wire gauges to make them more or less firm. The reason for the hourglass shape is so the middle thinner part of the spring can compress with softer pressure and then the rest of the spring “engages” with greater pressure to provide support. This method is not quite as effective as either pocket coils or offset coils however Bonnell coils are a good compromise and a very simple and effective design. Because they are less costly to manufacture and provide good value in comparison to benefits, they are very popular and a good choice in lower-cost mattresses. Because they can be made in both firmer and softer versions, they can be used in either the main type of mattress design as well but are more suitable in a firmer version as part of a differential design.

Continuous coils are made from one continuous wire made into rows with “simulated” coils in each row. These rows are then attached together with helicals. They are very simple and inexpensive to make because they do not have the expense of forming individual coils and then placing and connecting them inside the innerspring. Because they use a single wire and are “strongly joined” with their neighboring “coils”, they can provide a very firm support system but have a far lesser ability to shape themselves to a body profile. They are most suitable in a “differential” construction of mattress with thicker comfort layers on top of the coil. In this construction method, they can provide good value in a lower cost mattress because of their low cost of manufacture and the firmness of the innerspring.

How innersprings respond to pressure and compression.

Each of these has a different type of progressive response to pressure and some are better than others at providing softness with initial compression and firmness with deeper compression. There is also a wide difference between categories in how well they shape themselves to an individual body profile and help the comfort layers form a deeper cradle to relieve pressure when necessary. While none of them are as effective at this as many foams or other materials, which is why they are only suitable as a support layer in a mattress, Pocket coils followed by Offset coils are the most effective at “body contouring” among the innerspring categories and make good choices when this ability is needed in certain mattress constructions that use thinner comfort layers. Bonnell coils are a good budget alternative when this quality is needed in a budget mattress. All innersprings can be made to be firm.

The thickness of innerspring wire ranges from the thickest 12.5 gauge to gauges above 16 which are much thinner and less firm although higher gauge thinner coils can shape themselves to a body profile more effectively. While the gauge of innerspring wire and the number of coils in the innerspring are the most commonly used “statistics” of innersprings used to measure its qualities, these by themselves can be very misleading.

All innersprings can be made less or more firm through the use of thicker gauge wire, a greater number of coils, a larger number of “turns” in each coil, tempering, type of steel used, different construction methods, coil shape, coil height, and different Insulator Layers that are placed on top of them. Bonnell, continuous coils, and offset coils are also joined together with a tightly coiled thinner wire called a helical and different types and designs of these can also make a big difference in how each individual coil is affected by its neighbors and the firmness and conforming ability of an innerspring. Pocket coils are kept together through the use of fabric “pockets” which are joined together (rather than the coils themselves being joined) or in the case of higher quality versions by “hand-tying” each coil to the other coils near it. These pocketed or hand-tied coils have more independent movement which gives Pocket coils their greater “shape conforming” ability while the other 3 types act more together in a group with other coils because of the helical connections. All other factors being equal, this gives them greater firmness.

The most important innerspring qualities.

Rather than get caught up in the many complex differences between different innersprings, which too often ends up becoming a meaningless distraction in the search for a better mattress, it is important to remember that the two most important qualities of an innerspring … once you get past all the complexities … are their ability to conform to your body shape if you are using thinner comfort layers in more progressive, layering constructions and their ability to hold up the heavier parts of your body so they don’t sink out of alignment while you sleep. More than this and a general idea of which type of coil is best at each function is not really necessary.

Many mattress salespeople … and consumers … reduce the whole experience of mattress shopping to an exercise in “coil counting” sometimes with the coil gauge “sprinkled” in, which is among the worst possible ways to buy a mattress. Many cheaper mattresses use higher coil counts using lower quality coils as an enticement to buy a lower quality mattress and increase profits. Since innersprings can all be made more or less firm and more or less conforming in many ways, and since coil count is only one of many ways to change how an innerspring performs, remembering the two basic functions of an innerspring is the most important part of the innerspring puzzle. In general, terms again, if a queen-size mattress has approximately 400 coils or more in a reasonable gauge of wire (around 14 or better), then you can expect that it will provide you with good support. Higher coil counts are really only necessary (and other factors are involved here as well) when the innerspring needs to be more conforming to help with the pressure relief of a thinner comfort layer.

A Note About Innersprings

Innersprings, like all support layers, are meant to control how deeply your heavier parts sink down into a mattress and help the comfort layers hold up your more recessed parts when necessary. Since pocket coils and offset coils have the greatest shape conforming abilities, they usually make the best choices in more progressive mattress constructions with thinner comfort layers above them. Bonnell are a lower-cost budget alternative. In differential constructions with thicker layers above the innerspring, firmness of the support layers becomes the most important factor and any of the categories can make be an appropriate choice. Again in general terms, innersprings from most to least expensive to manufacture are Pocket coils, Offset coils, Bonnell coils, and Continuous coils, and the price of a mattress should reflect this but there is also a great deal of overlap and there are lower cost and higher cost versions in each category. Perhaps the most reliable way to evaluate the “quality” of an innerspring is based on the weight of the steel but this is not a spec that is usually provided.

Innersprings in general, as long as they are of reasonable quality, the steel has been tempered, and they have an appropriate degree of firmness, are among the longest-lasting parts of a mattress, and will outlast most polyurethane and memory foams. They will not however generally last as long as latex foam. Depending on the type, they also have a roughly equivalent degree of resilience or “pushback” to firmer foams and tend to be a springier than latex or polyfoam for those who like that feel. If the mattress you are considering reflects the lower general cost of manufacturing innersprings over high-quality specialty foams (in most but not all cases) and the cost also reflects the type of innerspring and comfort layers being used, then innerspring mattresses can represent very good performance and value.

Anyone have experience with Englander tension ease mattress? How long they last etc.

Hi Coolgranny,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

If you can find out the specifics of the materials inside (see the information you need to know here) the particular Englander Tension Ease mattress you are considering and post them here, I’d be happy to make some comments or help you identify any potential weak links in the mattress.

When considering any mattresses, the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

Regarding other people’s experiences, I’d suggest you follow the guidelines I linked to above in selecting a mattress and avoid “reviews”. While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Durability is an incredibly complex subject with mattresses and there is no way to standardize that, as there are far too many variables involved. Your best chance at having a longer comfort life is to begin with a mattress using better quality and more durable materials (as described in detail in the mattress shopping tutorial). If you’d like more information about mattress durability, this post goes into more detail.

Phoenix

Phoenix, do you have any info on the Quadra flex coil system used by Flexus in this mattress? I couldn’t find any specifics on the site but figured you might know more. If not, I will give them a call and see if I can get specs that way. Overall your thoughts on this mattress: QUADRA-Flex® Pocket Coil Latex Mattress - Flexus Comfort ? Thanks!

Hi prayformojo,

The spring unit looks very similar to the QuadCoil produced by Texas Pocket Springs, which would be a good quality and durable spring unit, but I don’t know if TPS produces this for Flexus or not. Many manufacturers consider information about their suppliers as proprietary. Contacting Flexus would be your best course of action. I’d be interested in learning about what you find out.

Phoenix

So the guy I spoke to didn’t seem to have a TON of info and seemed to be reading off a sheet but I did get that the perimeter is 13.5 gauge and the center is 14.5 gauge and that there are 884 total coils in the Queen size. Is there any other info I should be looking for or asking for that would help inform my decision?

Hi prayformojo,

The innerspring unit isn’t usually the weak link within a mattress, and the gauge of steel is commensurate to other pocketed spring units offered for this type of product. If you’re curious you could phone back to ask about the quad configuration and why they’ve chosen the design they have, and they may be able to provide some color on that subject. You could also ask who supplies the springs, but some companies choose to keep that proprietary, and even if you did know the company it wouldn’t be meaningful for most individuals.

Phoenix

One mattress I am looking at has what is described as follows; what are your thoughts on this?

8" Quantum Edge® Combi-Zone® Coil System - 14 Ga. 5-turn pocketed coil with 17 Ga. 10-turn center zone comfort support and dual rows of 16 Ga. 10-turn edge support system

Hi nascarnole,

I believe you are looking at a version of this spring unit from Leggett and Platt. This would tend to be a good quality and durable unit and also is popular for mattresses used in adjustable bed applications, if that is of interest.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!

Been reading here for a while, and truly appreciate your wisdom.
I’ve stumbled across some innerspring mattresses with more than 1 layer of coils, and was wondering if there’s any advantage or disadvantage to that kind of build.
My logic says that if the whole idea of pocketed springs is to have them isolated from each other, stacking them over another coil layer might be counterproductive.

I would really appreciate your comment!

Johnny

Hi JohnnyHay,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Using multiple spring units within a mattress has become a bit more popular lately with the proliferation of comfort layers using smaller pocketed springs, such as microcoils and nanocoils. These layers are generally meant to replace foam comfort layers and tout increased breathability and durability.

Some manufacturers will also “double up” in the deep support layers within a mattress and stack two innerspring unit atop each other. Quite often these spring units will be a bit lower in profile and each unit will have different characteristics to achieve a desired level of support/firmness/deep comfort.

Whether it’s a “disadvantage or an advantage” would depend upon the overall construction of the mattress as well as the comfort being desired. Some people desire the elimination of any type of foam within a mattress, so they prefer the use of items such as natural fibers and micro- or nanocoils in the comfort layers. Others simply prefer the unique feel that these products offer.

The same would go to the support unit. By combining two different support innerspring units, a different deep sport can be achieved by the mattress designers. The key thing, as in all mattress construction, would be to make sure that these units were assembled properly within the mattress to assure decent structural integrity.

Disadvantages could be that you may not prefer the feel of multiple spring units within a mattress, or there may be a difference in price versus the foam comfort layer(s) that the spring unit replaces, or the mattress may not be assembled properly using these multiple spring units. Much of this of course would be subjective.

Actually, in the deeper comfort layers, one innerspring support unit split into two units could have the ability to be more motion isolating, as the wire for each spring in effect would be snipped into two separate springs, one sitting atop the other, with the potential to distribute forces over a wider area. But there are of course more variables involved in a completely assembled mattress that just the deep innerspring unit when it comes to force distribution and motion isolation. Post #4 here speaks in more detail about motion “damping” within a mattress.

Phoenix

Hi there – I’m hoping the mattress experts here can help me diagnose what’s going wrong with my new mattress.

My wife and I bought a king-size coil/latex hybrid mattress from a small local store that I liked a lot. It’s got a zoned coil system (firmer at hips and on the edges) with 3 inches of talalay on top – medium on my side, soft on my wife’s side. We got it last Friday, and my wife has been happy, but I have been miserable. It’s been a uniquely uncomfortable experience, and I’ve been struggling to explain why I’m waking up so often and feel so sore in the morning.

I’m 5’9" and 150", so fairly skinny. I usually sleep like a corpse on my back and do not move. The sensation I get is that I’m sleeping with my back arched all night. My theory at the moment is that, because of the zoned system, my shoulders are sinking into the mattress while my hips and rear are going nowhere, leading to the “arched” feeling.

Does that sound like a reasonable explanation for what’s going on? Has anybody heard of similar problems with zoned systems? Is there a way to test my theory out or mitigate it, short of just exchanging the mattress and starting over?

Hi manateesheriff.

I am sorry that you feel uncomfortable and wake up sore on your new matters. :frowning:

You do not mention anything about your previous mattress nor the specifics of the zoning in your new mattress but before rushing to return the mattress or trying to fix the wrong issue I’d suggest that you experiment a bit with what you have and try to pinpoint the root cause of your discomfort and sensation of your back being arched.
There may be more than one factor contributing to this and I would first consider a few things.

1. The one-week-old mattress might not be completely broken in (sometimes it may take a few weeks depending on how taught the cover/encasing is)
  2. Your body has not finished adjusting to the new mattress; (it may be that with your old mattress your body gradually got used to a slightly inappropriate sleeping surface and learned to compensate, which means that a longer adjustment period might be necessary, and that might get worse before it gets better.
  3. A zoned system is may not be appropriate for you. (especially as you are a lightweight back sleeper)
  4. In some cases a mattress that is too firm can also cause anterior pelvic tilt and the lumbar being hyperextended which can cause lower back issues, also the body doesn’t sink in far enough to fill in the gaps in the small of the back in your case (and/or the waist for side sleepers) and the recessed curves of the back can sag which may result in the sensation of “arched back” and the feeling of general soreness that you mentioned that would lead to frequent repositioning and waking up often.
  5. You may also wish to investigate the pillow in combination with your new mattress

The best advice I can offer you is to – give the mattress more time if you can. There will always be a period of retrogression where you lose some of your “learned alignment” to your old mattress, and your new mattress will also lose some of its “false firmness”. You’ve only had the new mattress for a week and it takes time for your body to adjust to the mattress, and for the mattress to adjust to you to (see post #3 here ).

Here are a few things that you could try so that you can pinpoint the cause of your discomfort which might be helpful to determine the best direction to take

1. I would start with a few nights on your wife’s side and see how your body reacts to it
  2. You could place a pillow underneath your knees and see that makes a difference if it does then the zone underneath your pelvis may be too firm’
  3. You could experiment with a dual-zone (soft & medium Talalay on not-zoned areas of the Pocket coil) l sleeping on the mattress’s width. At your 5’ 9" (69") … a King size mattress 76" x 80" would allow you to sleep across the mattress on its width and experiment with quite a few configurations.
  4. I’d also look into the pillow that you are using as this is essential for part of a good alignment of the head and neck and a pillow that worked well with your previous mattress might be completely unsuitable for your new mattress. The thickness of the pillow should vary with the amount that your upper back or shoulders sink into the mattress.

I’d make incremental changes with modifying just one variable at a time to collect more data points and then follow your body clues to make your next change. Some of the forum posts that talk about fine-tuning a mattress and may help you recognize or “diagnose” the underlying cause of different types of “symptoms”, pain, or discomfort that may be connected to a mattress include …
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/futons-looking-at-otis post #2 (this is the primary reference post for different “symptoms” that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress)
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/sealy-embody-introspection Post #45 (this is particularly worth reading as well)
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/purchased-a-plb-but-it-s-just-not-working Post #2
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/how-to-compensate-for-my-curves post #6
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/wondering-why-my-lower-back-is-achcy-in-the-morning-only post #6
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/fine-tuning-our-sleepez-10000 Post #4
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/sleep-ez-mattresses Post #7
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/got-my-ultimate-dreams-mattress-now-i-need-a-topper-any-suggetions Post #7
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/seeking-advice-on-latex-mattress-for-couple-with-very-different-body-weights Post #18

Once you’ve had the chance to narrow things down a little further, feel free to post back with any specific questions and I or any of our Expert Members we’ll be happy to assist you.

Phoenix