Mattress Thickness Vs Quality Dilemma. Help Please!

Just registered here hoping for some advice. My wife and I just purchased a new king size platform bed from a local furntiure store.
We needed the under bed drawer storage and my wife fell in love with the bed.
Well, the issue is the bed platform is 22" high. We tried the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe at the furniture store and really liked it, although I felt it was a bit too soft; and the price was a bit prohibitive. We then decided to get the DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams 13-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress from Amazon as a less expensive alternative ($1000 + or - a few hundred was our range).
Well, after doing the simple math, the new bed will be just under 3 feet high…not so much an issue for me, but a wee bit high for my wife.
This leads to my question. We are now in need of the smallest height mattress we can get, but have not idea how this will affect the overall feel of the bed. Dreamfoam has 10" and 11" alternatives, but I was wondering if there were any top quality suggestions with even an 8" or 9" height.
So I guess I am wondering what is combination of mattress quality and feel and low over all height?
I can not tell you how much I will appreciate any help of suggestions.
Thanks !

BTW…for some reason my wife is scared of latex mattresses in fear of latex allergies and the eventual formation of loose latex particles…is this a valid concern?

Hi MJ,

There are too many unknowns and variables for anyone to make specific mattress suggestions for someone else based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) but the steps and guidelines in the tutorial post will give you the best chance of making the most suitable choice in any mattress thickness. Which mattress is best for you would depend on the design much more than on just the thickness of the mattress but having said that … and not taking the many other variables into consideration … thinner mattresses will tend to be firmer than thicker mattresses but this is only in the most general of terms because there are so many variables between specific mattresses and the materials and components inside them. There are many thinner mattresses that use good quality materials (and the tutorial also has some guidelines about the quality/durability of different materials) but only your own testing or experience can know whether they are a good match for you in terms of PPP.

If you talk with Dreamfoam they will be able to tell you much more about the differences between their mattresses you are considering than I could so you can “talk through” the options you have available and decide which of their “thinner” mattresses would have the best chance of being a good match for you.

Overall … I would make PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and choosing the most suitable mattress a bigger priority than the bed because it will have a much bigger effect on how well you sleep than the bed underneath it and IMO the quality of your sleep would be more important than any specific bed. The platform bed you are considering doesn’t leave much room for a mattress where the sleeping surface would be a more normal height because even a relatively thin mattress would end up being higher than most people would prefer.

There is more about the different types of latex allergies in post #2 here. Unless she has a known type 1 latex allergy (and is probably carrying an epipen) then allergies wouldn’t normally be a concern with the type of latex that is used in mattresses and because there is no contact with the latex.

Phoenix

Thanks for the help. We narrowed it down to 2 mattresses from Dreamfoam on Amazon:

The Dreamfoam Bedding 10" with 2.5" of memory foam @ $510
Dreamfoam Bedding 10 "

and the Ultimate Dreams 10" with 3" of memory foam @ $700 Ultimate Dreams 10"

Is .5" of memory foam really worth an extra $200?
I am going to talk to the company tomorrow, but until then, does any one have any experience with these?
Which one of the two will be a bit more firm?
Thanks in advance…

With each of these, you should also find out what density the base foam is.

Hi MJ,

You will generally find that all the mattresses made by the same manufacturer will be in a very similar “value” range based on the cost and quality of the materials inside them.

While it’s always a good idea to check directly with a manufacturer … I believe that the 10" memory foam mattress uses memory foam that is less than 4 lb density. While all the Dreamfoam mattresses are certainly good value in their budget range … I would tend to avoid memory foam under 4 lb density (see post #4 here) unless it was for temporary use or for a guest bedroom or there were no other options available because of budget restrictions.

The Ultimate Dreams 10" gel memory foam mattress uses 4 lb gel memory foam which besides being a thicker layer is also a better quality material and would be inside the quality guidelines I would suggest using. IMO it would definitely be worth the extra cost.

I believe that both mattresses use base foam that is 1.5 lb density but I would check with them about this as well. (NOTE ADDED: the 10" gel memory foam mattress uses 1.8 lb polyfoam in the base layer which is also a good quality material).

A phone call to Dreamfoam would also be the best source of guidance about the firmness level of each of their mattresses and they will be able to talk you through which of their mattresses would be the best option for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Phoenix