Mattress Topper Question - Nest Bedding

Hello! A few years ago I bought the Alexander Hybrid from Nest Bedding in king luxury firm. My partner loves it. Over the years I realized it was too hot for me as well as too firm (I am. 5’7” 145 lb side sleeper).

Last year I got a 3 inch 19 ILD talalay latex topper in twin XL and it made the mattress to much better. However I still had some neck/shoulder pain.

After trying a million different pillows I realized it’s a mattress issue and not a pillow issue. Basically I think the mattress is still too firm (although so much better with the latex).

Nest Bedding could swap out the comfort layers to change the bed to a medium or plush although this will cost upwards of 500 dollars. I’ve also been thinking about adding a second topper. I like the latex topper because it doesn’t get hot.

So I was thinking about adding a 2 inch memory foam topper under the 3 inch talalay topper. Would this be a viable option? Would it be better to change to the plush comfort layer and pay the money? I basically just want a bit more pressure relief to make side sleeping more comfortable.

TIA!

Hello dac091,

Welcome to the MattressUnderGround as a new MUGster!

This query has arisen before concerning the Nest Alexander. If memory serves correctly, there was a manufacturing style change for the Alexander, where one style featured a zippered comfort layer, and the other was sealed.

Your instinct to experiment with different pillows was valid, and it might indeed be the key factor here. Assuming you’ve explored various pillow options, let’s now narrow our focus to the shoulder and neck.

It seems improbable that switching the comfort layer would resolve the issue. Adding a memory foam topper beneath a Talalay topper might not be the best solution either, as this could make the Talalay topper less responsive with a viscoelastic memory foam layer underneath. Placing the memory foam topper above the Talalay topper might provide relief, but there’s uncertainty about the Talalay topper offering enough support for the memory foam topper.

Here’s a suggestion: with some cooperation from your partner, try sliding the Talalay topper down toward the foot of the bed. Then, place a memory foam topper of equal height from the top of the Talalay, positioning it in the middle of your torso and extending it toward your head.

This makeshift setup allows you to test if the issue lies in the mattress build rather than a pillow problem. Examining segmented mattresses, such as the Custom Sleep Technology Performance, might provide insights. They address specific body areas with customized solutions. You could experiment with segmenting the comfort layer to determine if it resolves your concerns.

There are no strict “laws or rules” governing the segmentation of a mattress’s comfort layer for different body areas. However, keep in mind that addressing neck pain can be challenging. Shoulder pain on a firm mattress might occur if the shoulder digs into the mattress. This usually happens when the mattress is firm, and the pillow’s loft is insufficient. Elevating the loft with a supportive pillow can often alleviate both neck and shoulder issues. It’s not just about changing pillows; it’s about finding the right pillow for your needs.

Considering you’ve tried numerous pillows, segmenting the comfort layer might be a potential solution for your case.

One additional point to consider as an afterthought. It’s crucial to be cautious about adding too many layers of foam above your support layer. When your body is elevated too far from the support layer, it may compromise the intended function of the support layer. Maintaining an appropriate balance between comfort layers and support layers is key to ensuring that the mattress functions optimally and provides the necessary support for your body. This in another important aspect of mattress customization.

All the best of luck,

Maverick