Mattress Toppers

Hi Phoenix,

I hope you can help me. I bought a Serta Sequoia Firm just over 2 years ago and immediately bought a 3" foam topper (not memory foam) to put on top as it was too firm. This mattress was a “warranty replacement” for a pillow top mattress that only lasted a couple of years, which replaced a previous pillow top mattress that was killing me and I had to convince my husband that a mattress was only designed to last 7 years. I told myself “no more pillow tops” and ended up with the firm Sequoia.

The 3" foam that we have been sleeping on seems perfectly fine but neither of us are very comfortable and I still end up with hip or shoulder pain a lot. A couple of weeks ago, we decided to put a piece of MDF board under the mattress, which has not helped. I thought we needed this as the salesman said we did not need a new foundation with the Sequoia, therefore we were/are using our previous box spring foundation (now with the MDF on top of that).

I’ve decided to buy another mattress topper. I considered memory foam, but I am a hot sleeper and I’m thinking latex would be a better choice for me and my husband. I have hip and shoulder pain and he has back pain; he had a spinal fusion years ago. He says nothing will make him feel/sleep better. We both weigh between 150 and 170 pounds and both sleep on our side most of the time.

I am considering a 3" latex mattress topper from Rocky Mountain Mattress and they have suggested 3 to 4 inches in medium plush. Their latex is Dunlop and I understand this is firmer than Talalay. This is their softest latex. Do you think this would work for us? Our Sequoia seems to be in fine condition but I know this is a discontinued model and wondered if there are problems with it. I hate to make another expensive mistake and I don’t think my husband would be okay with ANOTHER new mattress.

Can you give me some advice, please?

Thank you.

Hi Orchid,

Just like with mattresses … there are too many variables and preferences involved to use a “formula” to choose a topper with any degree of accuracy. While I can certainly vouch for the quality of the toppers that are sold by Rocky Mountain … I would have no way of knowing how it would feel for you without a frame of reference of similar topper / mattress combinations you have tried.

The most accurate way would be to test a specific topper/mattress combination in person but of course this isn’t possible so the next best way would be to test a similar topper on top of a mattress that was similar to yours so you would have an idea of how the combination would feel and perform for you. Even testing mattresses with 3" or 4" of latex on top where you knew the softness of the latex would be very helpful to give you a sense of how your mattress and a topper would feel for you but you may have to do some calling around in your area to find a mattress that would approximate what you are considering. If you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know of any possibilities for retailers or manufacturers in your area I’m aware of.

If that isn’t possible either … then post #2 here and the posts it links to have some guidelines for toppers that can increase your odds of making the most suitable choice.

Your topper will interact with the comfort layer that is already part of your mattress and based on the description here (which is not that detailed) … your mattress has an inch of latex (of unknown firmness) over a 6" polyfoam base (of unknown density and unknown firmness). If your mattress is about 7" - 8" thick then these would probably be all the layers. If it’s thicker then there are layers missing in the description. If you only have a 1" comfort layer then I can certainly understand that you would need some extra softness and pressure relief because this is thinner than the norm for a comfort layer and it could certainly use some “help” for side sleepers in yur weight range in terms of pressure relief.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for your response and for this site. It has been a tremendous help. I have read and learned so much from this site.

My mattress is 9" from seam to seam. From a description that I read, it also has a “verticoil premiere innerspring, 13.5 coil gauge, 286 coils, no relief zone”. And yes, I need some softness and pressure relief! By the way, I live in Henderson, NV.

I’ve decided to go with Talalay (more lively, like Angelfood cake, and often preferred in the comfort levels) and am thinking of getting it from Brooklyn Bedding. It is Oeko-Tex certified (healthy), cover included, and comes with 120 day exchange policy. I am thinking medium plush at 24 ILD, which seems to be a popular choice. I’ll probably order it today as I need some good sleep!! I folded over my polyfoam topper, which made it 6", and I slept on that last night. It provided some relief to my side, which has been hurting since helping my husband carry in the MDF board, but I am concerned about my spinal alignment with that configuration.

I will post again when I get my new topper and let you know how it works out!!

Again, thank you so much for your help!!

Hi Orchid,

There are a couple of versions of the Sequoia and one has an innerspring and one has latex with no innerspring. From what I can see though (such as here) the innerspring version is 11" thick not 9". In the end though it doesn’t make that much difference if you are choosing a topper based on where you are in the range from “just a touch” to “a lot” and tailoring your choices to your body type and sleeping style and what you are familiar with.

While Las Vegas is somewhat of a mattress desert in terms of local manufacturers … some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of that may help you become a little more familiar with different types of latex are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

So after reading your last post, I spent much of the day reading and researching latex again. I am now considering a 2" Natural Latex topper from Arizona Mattress. Thinking that I only need to soften up the very firm mattress. It would be 21 ILD.

I was hyped up about the 3" blended Talalay as several here seem to be purchasing it, but now thinking I just need to add to the comfort level. I do own a latex pillow (non-shredded) so I know what soft latex feels like.

Can you give me some advice, please, as when I talk to any of the places, they always suggest 3".

Thank you!

Hi Orchid,

I’m not sure what to suggest beyond the posts and guidelines I have linked already. If you are looking for “a little to a fair bit” then 2" would seem reasonable to me and if you are looking for “a fair bit to a lot” then I would go with 3". Thinner is usually “safer” in terms of alignment so you aren’t trading one issue for another.

The ILD of the layer also seems reasonable to me and in the range of what most people in your weight range would be happy with.

I can really only tell you how to choose rather than what to choose because I can’t feel what you feel on your mattress and there are far too many variables and individual differences in body types, sleeping positions, preferences, physiology, or individual sensitivities to use a formula to predict with any certainty how any combination will feel for someone without knowing more about what is in your mattress and having a frame of reference of mattresses that you have tested that worked well for you and where the specifics of the layering is known.

The best I can do is provide a guideline that you can use to decide based on your own experience on your mattress and on the types of topper that may work well and would be less risky “on average”. If you are uncertain and haven’t done enough local testing on mattresses that would be similar to your mattress / topper combination that can give you some confidence of which type of topper may be best for you … then the guidelines I linked (including the posts that it links to) along with conversations with knowledgeable people that sell toppers would be the best way to choose that I now of.

Perhaps the places you are talking with are getting the impression from your conversations that 3" would be best for you.

Phoenix