Mattress Warehouse Store Credit - Any Acceptable Brand?

We found this site a little too late, unfortunately!
TLDR: Our warranty claim at Mattress Warehouse was approved for store credit (after they lied to us and got caught). Has anyone been successful in getting their money back instead of store credit? If not, is there a innerspring or hybrid brand we can trust that they sell there?

Long version:
A few months ago we purchased a Serta iDirection mattress from Mattress Warehouse. Upon delivery we immediately believed that it felt completely different than the one in the store. We were told to wait the 30 days, which we did, and then returned it for a different iDirection model. Unfortunately, we had the same exact experience with the new model so we submitted a warranty claim.

A bed inspector came out and today we received a denial of warranty with the following notes:

When a mattress is being used without a foundation, you must add a
solid platform on top of any open slatted mattress support system with
openings between the slats that exceed two inches (2"). Use of such an
open slatted mattress support system with spaces between the slats
which exceed 2" without the addition of a solid platform will damage
your mattress and may invalidate your warranty.

When we purchased the mattress we were not made aware of any such requirement. We were only advised to use slats with a minimum of 3" or less of space, which we did. When I called Mattress Warehouse today, the customer service rep said the “rule of thumb is 5” or less". When I spoke to Corporate, they agreed with the warranty notes of 2" or less. This information is not on their website or in our warranty or on the Serta website. When I insisted on getting this in writing, they caved and approved our claim and offered us store credit.

After two bad purchases there, and then being lied to, I’m very apprehensive about making another purchase there. Has anyone been in a similar situation and successfully gotten their money back? If not, are there any brands there that we can trust?

Hi JNJJ and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear that you are having such issues with the Mattress Warehouse. Sounds very frustrating! Though they are correct, in that recommendations for slatted foundations are usually 2 1/2" or less - this is for structural integrity of the support system as a whole, as well as allowing air circulation for the mattresses bottom surface area, you are correct that this should be clearly stated - and the discrepancy in what they told you after the fact is also not great from a customer service standpoint.

Any mattress you choose will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). This gives you some guidance as to what your new mattress should provide to give you proper support as well as comfort.

The issue with Serta - and many of the ‘big brands - is that that are very lacking in transparency in their components and construction. Without knowing the specifications - layer height, foam density, details of components (lije gauge & coil count for springs, etc.) - it’s almost impossible to assess how suitable the mattress is for any given sleeper, or the overall likely durability over time. And as they tend to use trademarked foam formulations, this leaves the consumer with their only option to ‘hope for the beset’…which is not a great way to choose a mattress which one hopes will provide comfortable sleep for many years!

As you don’t give any details of your sleep profiles or what your prior mattress history, of what your goals are as far as comfort, there are a few pointers which may help, since it sounds like you are forced to settle with store credit which may help you.

First, if you are considering any latex or latex hybrid bed, Latex Rubber is a known quantity, unlike proprietary memory and polyfoam components. As you can see by comparing the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines, Latex is both very breathable and one of the most durable mattress materials you can have…though not everyone enjoys the specific feel of latex! If you go this route, and if Mattress Warehouse has any latex/latex hybrid mattressses, you can be a bit more confident that ‘what you see is what you get’.

If you are looking at foam mattresses or foam hybrids, we suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support.

As long as your slats have less than 3" of space between slats, you should have adequate support and ventilation - but always check the ‘fine print’, since as you have seen this is one of the ways mattress retailers use to deny returns/exchanges…another common trick is to say a potentially prematurely wearing foam comfort layer (which can break down due to insufficiently dense foam for the body profiles of those sleeping on it, or have an excess of inexpensive ‘filler foam’, which can leave ‘ridges’ and ‘valleys’ in the foam which can cause muscle aches, pains and even alignment issues) does not exceed their ‘body impression’ guidelines, so that a memory foam layer can be considered ‘not returnable’ even when the mattress proves to be uncomfortable for the consumer.

You may want to consider some other options that they offer, even with their ‘shady practices’ that you’ve experienced so far, since your money is tied up in store credit; it’s quite possible that there is a perfectly good model in the store which will be comfortable, supportive, and durable - you just have to take some time to consider your needs and their various options available. Hopefully, other forum members can also chime in with their experiences with other Mattress Warehouse
mattresses which they have been happy with, to help you in your decision!

~ Basilio

2 Likes

Consider ditching the credit altogether. Not worth shoe horning yourself into a mattress that is terrible.

OR….buy something people like with the credit and then sell it. Purple or Tempurpedic?

Dont fall prey to the “sunk cost fallacy”!!!

John

Or sell your credit to someone else at a discount.

John

Thank you so much for the lengthy response! We’re likely to go with a latex hybrid and have already learned so much from this site that we’ll use prior to our next purchase. Thanks again for the help!

Selling the credit for a discount is something we’re considering. Thanks!

Hey JNJJ,
It appears that mattress warehouse does carry 2 maybe 3 respectable brands of mattresses. While I tend to shy away from businesses that employ less than stellar business tactics, that are less scrupulous than most would want to deal with, you do have some options. I think what John (billyidol) has offered is the fastest shortcut out of the situation. My personality is not one to go in that direction. I would be wanting to “force” them to accommodate me in a professional business manner. Unfortunately, once the dishonesty starts, where does it end.
When it comes to slats, I am a true believer that 2.5" and under is it. In my mind, I don’t ever want to have to worry about whether the slats are too wide or not, regardless of what a salesperson tells me.
It is difficult to assess what you purchased as the idirection comes in a variety of flavors, firm, medium, plush etc.
A couple of their mattress lines like King Coil, and Kingsdown, use less or no memory foam, and opt for talalay latex and natural fibers. Of course, those may be more expensive than the Idirections, as natural materials as mentioned, are often more costly than synthetic materials like memory foam. Keep in mind, that the natural fibers and materials tend to last longer too. I fully understand, that longevity may or may not be on the top of one’s list, as the budget may be paramount.
Anytime you fall into a certain price category, most of these mattress manufacturers know their competition and are just offering the same product in the same price range, just “mixing” the layers up a bit. But if you search, you will find mattresses out there that will surprise you in price and quality that are being offered by the non-national/once famous brands.
If your budget allows, take a peek at a few of the lines that have no memory foam in them at all, if there is memory foam, perhaps only a thin layer in the cover/panel layer, not in the comfort layer (preferably none), where it tends to sink the mattress. There are other options that offer pressure relief than memory foam, such as talalay or Dunlop processed latex, quality micro coils layers that are 1-2.5" logically placed in the mattress.

I understand no one wants to deal with a less than “ideal” seller, this may be the last time you will have to do it.

The other option is, if you have some family member that needs a mattress with different requirements, such as a teen or a toddler where the requirements may be less rigid. Offer to make a deal with them to get them an appropriate mattress at a discount by offering your credit at a discount.

It may be difficult to get your money back, depending on the total value. Most small claims courts in most states, limit claims at about 3k. If you can prove that you were lied to (and you may have that evidence now, by virtue of their offer to allow you to trade up and lack of transparency on their salespeople and policy documentation, since they caved and approved your claim.

A small claims court judge may not take too kindly to this type of deceptive practices and rule in your favor more quickly than you think. Since it is a claim for 3k or less, MW would probably not send an attorney or even fight it at all, as it may be more costly for them than it is worth. Plus, a letter to the division of consumer affairs, for deceptive practices may motivate them to settle with you as well. As a Board member in my State from my day job, the potential fines imposed for violations of State Regulations/Rules, for deceptive practices, are often incentive enough for them to relent and over a refund to rid themself of the hassle of an annoying consumer “who means business” if you understand what I mean.

So, you do have a couple of options, hopefully you can employ one that works best under the circumstances.

I would try to settle first with them in house. If that doesnt work and you are that frustrated that you just want your money back, than I would go file a small claims issue and write a letter to your division of consumer affairs, usually most States offer an on-line electronic submission.

Good luck, interested to know how it works out.

Stand outside mattress store on Saturday and pass out flier that says, “Buying a mattress at MW? Want a discount?” After 3 hours, you will find someone!

It might work!

John

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed response and recommendations. Lots of great suggestions!

This made me laugh but honestly not a horrible idea!

1 Like

I guess the only question is, when someone asks you why you are selling it at a discount. LOLOL, (because they suck in this store) It’s funny reminds me of this commercial, you just have to laugh. Try This!

1 Like