Mattress with ONLY - organic cotton & coils ??

Hello there,

Looking for a mattress with only 2 ingredients - organic cotton & coils.
Coils for support. Organic cotton because I am highly sensitive (autoimmune disorder, etc.) and vegan. Does anyone know of a brand(s)?
Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions - greatly appreciated!

Thanks much :slight_smile:
Kristen

p.s. Phoenix, you’re awesome!

Hi Kristen,

Thank you for your kind words!

While not a complete listing, and the lineups offered by some of these companies do change, some options for mattresses made without foam are listed in this post. It would at least be a good place to start your research.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!

Wow. That is a long list. Will go through it.

I saw Naturepedic on the list. I recently went to the store in Minnetonka, MN. Lovely, helpful woman running that place with very nice mattresses!

My only hesitation is the wool used in Naturepedic. Sheep get cut and injured during sheering at farms, it’s cruel.

I read the post saying cotton compresses, making it very firm, I was concerned about that being an issue. She said potato is no longer used because people are sensitive to potatoes too.

Hi Kristen,

You’re very welcome. That should be a good start on finding something that you like.

I certainly understand your thoughts on not wanting to use wool, and some people do avoid wool for such convictions. However, to make such a blanket statement dismisses the many wool producers who treat their animals very well and abide by ethical treatment guidelines (such as EcoWool). Just as an FYI, if a manufacturer is using wool to pass federal flammability regulations, some will make their products without wool should you provide a note from your health care professionals requesting this. So that is something you may wish to investigate to make sure whatever you choose aligns with your preferences.

Yes, over time cotton will tend to compress and become firmer. But the overall comfort of any mattress is a sum of all of the componentry, so the type of innerspring unit used will also have an impact upon your overall comfort.

I believe you are referencing the PLA batting from Naturepedic, which is sourced from sugarcane.

Good luck in your searching!

Phoenix

Hi Kristen,

I started searching for a mattress and I have similar concerns as you.
Have you decided on a particular mattress company yet?

Elizabeth