Mattresses 24/7 on eBay vs SleepEZ 10000

Hi get2venkat,

Hopefully Kopavi will see this and let us know how he is using the 2" topper but I thought I’d mention that a latex topper can just go on top of the mattress and doesn’t have to go inside the cover. In this case I would also make sure that the topper has a good quality cover as well to prevent oxidation and damage to the latex.

Phoenix

[quote=“get2venkat” post=10897]Hello Kopavi,

How did the new 2’’ topper fit in 9’’ mattress cover?[/quote]

The 2" Topper easily fit in the mattress cover. The cover has quite a bit of elasticity and would likely have room for an additional 2" topper if necessary. The topper from Brooklyn Bedding came with a nice bamboo cover which would also work fine above the existing mattress. We chose to combine it with the other layers to keep it more contained.

[quote=“Kopavi” post=7540]We contacted Chuck at Ultimate Mattress and he was able to provide a 2" 19 ILD Talalay Topper at an exceptional price with quality to match. They also shipped the same day that I paid and it arrived in one day. [/quote]I feel a bit silly also asking this three months later, but who is Ultimate Mattress? I don’t remember if I had looked it up but I can’t determine who this might be…

[quote=“Kopavi” post=6488][quote=“Phoenix” post=6468]

I’m curious about your description of the cover though. I’ve had comments from several people who have used this instead of a wool quilted cover that it was one of the nicest unquilted stretch knit covers that they had seen and they compared it favorably to the Pure Latex Bliss covers which are also unquilted. It is designed to be very stretcheable to let the feel of the latex come through without having wool in the quilting. Did you get a sense that it affected the compression of the latex or was it just not a design you liked?

Phoenix[/quote]

I would defer to others as to the cover being one of the nicest. This is my first purchase of latex bed, or for that matter, a bed that you put together yourself. Nice is fairly subjective. Similar to a blind date who shows up in wrinkled clothes and looking a little scattered yet turns out to be a wonderful person with all of the qualities you are looking for.

My “initial” impression was based on the cover being stuffed into one of the latex soft layers and not being separately packaged. Perhaps this was because it was a “factory second” or that Mattresses 24/7 makes bulk purchases and reduces their costs (and prices to the consumer) by not repackaging the covers.

Although the design and packaging came up short, the reason we opted for this cover was to maximize the feel of the latex. As long as it provides comfort with minimal quilting I will consider it to be a success. The input on this forum greatly influenced the decision to go with the stretch cover.

I have not yet zipped up the cover because I am letting the latex breathe and hopefully reduce the rubber odor. With other members indicating that the cover matches up well with the PLB cover I am more reassured with the decision.

The stretch non-quilted cover was also selected after reading this from the Pure Latex Bliss website ( I especially like the last line on the site “That would be like putting ketchup on a steak”:

PLB Non-quilted[/quote]

Where can you buy the stretch non-quilted cover? Will PLB sell it separate?
I’m not sure I will need it but just in case.
I did find this one on Ebay that looks real thin:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120632533296?var=420012633335&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hi jet757f,

They were just comparing the cover with the PLB but they weren’t talking about the PLB cover itself. I don’t think you can buy it separately.

Post #4 here includes sources for different components including covers and including the one they were discussing which originally came from SleepEz. They purchased it as a second from one of the other companies there.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=16174]Hi jet757f,

They were just comparing the cover with the PLB but they weren’t talking about the PLB cover itself. I don’t think you can buy it separately.

Post #4 here includes sources for different components including covers and including the one they were discussing which originally came from SleepEz. They purchased it as a second from one of the other companies there.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

I didn’t notice they had them at SleepEz. I will keep in mind in case I need one.

Can’t find this user’s reference to sleeper cover. Do you mean the one kopavi in post 6 showed a pic of which you said came from sleeper and sold by 247?

Which cover at sleepeZ? Don,t see the 4 way at their site discussed earlier. If these aren,t waterproof how do they keep out ozone?

in first post i meant sleeper not sleeper. also ,how will a cover affect the performance of three 3" layers of tally, with, say, 19,32 and 38 ILDS on a piece of plywood? never mind durability. thanks

sleepEZ not sleeper. i need more sleep. :slight_smile: to be clearer the user referred to was lure, and your respone in post 20. if it is the same cover in kopavi’s picture and it came from sleepez, it is no longer at EZ’s site. is their a good non-quilted one there? 247 has one for $135 + $49 sh. expensive for them.

Hi church11,

SleepEz still sells their non quilted cover as far as I’m aware. You can see a picture of it here (with lighting that makes it look darker than it is).

The advantage of an unquilted stretch knit cover is that it will put you closer to the latex so you will “feel” more of the properties of the latex below it. The advantage of a wool quilted cover is that the wool quilting provides better temperature and moisture regulation and will lower the surface resiliency of sleeping right on the latex. If the wool is used as the fire barrier then it also eliminates the need for a different type of fire barrier. there is more in post #6 here.

Ozone is a gas in the air not a liquid (O3) and a good quality cover of any kind (quilted or unquilted) will be enough to protect the latex from degrading prematurely.

The choice between them would based on each person’s preference.

Phoenix

thanks for your answer. I read post 6. no way to know what i prefer i guess without trying. but i still wonder if the ez pad by enclosing all 3 3" layers in stretch material would change the performance. seems this might be different than simply a cover lying on top. sometimes i sweat a lot and therefore have a waterproof pad on top of the tal. it has straps which bind the top layer. i guess this would change the compression. I would sink in less. maybe good, maybe not. easy to check. without the pad will the sweat damage the tal? is it possible to clean it?
I konw ozone is a gas. my point was if water can get through so can ozone. you are saying i guess that the cover reduces the air exchange and extends durability. do you have a source for this?

Hi church,

If you mean the type of cover that will protect the latex and keep it from oxidizing prematurely … then primarily the experience of many manufacturers I have talked to who have been building latex mattresses for several decades (and the experience of one manufacturer I know of that used a cover that was too thin and the latex was oxidizing too quickly and they had to contact all their customers after 5 or 6 years of so and ask them to replace the covers) even though the latex formula itself includes antioxidants to help prevent this. Ultraviolet (sunlight) is an even bigger catalyst for oxidation and certain solvents and heavy metals are as well.
There are a few sources about how latex degrades and its resistance to different factors in post #2 here.

Phoenix

the unquilted ez cover is on this page. can’t tell if it is the same as the pic you linked too. don’t see the regular rectangular lines but the ez pic lacks definition. does it seem the same to you? about the same price as 247

Hi church11,

I’m not sure which page you’re looking at. Can you provide a link?

Phoenix

meant to do that. this is from your page on where to buy stuff(my title),which i found on my own first and then had trouble. finding. here it is.
https://www.sleepez.com/mattresscomponents.htm

Hi church11,

If you mean the mattress cover that has square quilting then this would not be the same one and it is a picture of their wool quilted cover.

The unquilted cover that is in the forum picture isn’t pictured on the page although I believe it will be when they have completed some of the updates they are working on.

Phoenix

No i mean the cover on the EZ webpage “B ) 4 Way Strtetch Zipper Cover Non Quilted” which according to sean at sleepez is cotton and some stretch material, spandex i think he said. a little thicker than a sheet. he also said they have never sold a similar cover with the same small square design (unquilted, not the wool one with the large square design-it’s not actually all square in the pic you showed me-there are some small squares but it is a kind of maze-like design of small right angle lines) in the pic you are talking about. he says the ones on the web page are the only ones they have ever sold. maybe he is wrong.
this is the cover i think you are talking about. it’s at 247 at ebay. this is the one, right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWIN-XL-SIZE-9-Mattress-4-Way-Stretch-Soft-Cotton-Cover-Zipper-ENCLOSURE-/271072747152?pt=Mattresses&hash=item3f1d31de90

also you have talked about a cover affecting the performance of a talalay topper. what about one which encloses 3 3" layers instead of just one. would there be a change in performance beyond covering just one other than keeping them from shifting? this assumes no concern about breakdown from oxidation, chemical reaction etc,excepting mechanical breakdown. I’m not concerned at this point about the lower levels oxidizing and there is no uv light in my bedroom.

Hi church11,

I thought the one in the forum picture was the unquilted cover they sold and was posted by someone that purchased their mattress but they would know more than I would.

I’m not quite clear on what you are asking but the cover on a mattress will certainly affect how the layers inside it feel and perform. A stretch knit cover will allow more of the feel of the latex to come through while a wool quilted cover will slightly affect how the latex underneath it compresses.

If you mean having a mattress with a cover and then adding a covered topper separately on top of the mattress (or using all separate toppers) instead of having all the latex inside a single cover … then the topper versions would act a little softer than having all the layers inside one cover.

Is this what you mean?

Phoenix

what i mean is this:
3 layers of 3" talalay:
1.top layer has a stretch cover. bottom 2 have no cover
vs.
2. all 3 in one stretch cover together, say, like the one you showed me a pic of and is for sale at 247 at the link i posted-same one i think.