Mattresses comparable to Custom Comfort by Winn aka Winndom

I found this website today and was thrilled. I have been wanting a new mattress for a while as I’m still sleeping on the first mattress I bought for my first apartment at a whopping $200 and every night I wake up at least twice. I can’t remember the last time my shoulders were not sore.

Today I went and tried a mattress that a coworker recommended, the Winn or Winndom mattress and it was all I could do to not buy it today. I loved it, the particular mattress was an interspring mattress with a soft pillowtop (My quote says it is the Colonial model). In total I would be looking at $2400 for a queen.

So onto my dilemmas…

First, My boyfriend seems to think there are mattresses that are just as good, for less than half the price. I’m not sure if this is true or not. He specifically keeps mentioning an all foam mattress from Costco for about $5oo.

Second, regardless of his opinion, I feel like it would be ridiculous for me to not test a few different mattresses. Do you know of any mattresses comparable to the Winn/Winndom?

Anyhow, I am super ready to get out of this bed I have now, so any advice is immensely appreciated , as I lay here unable to sleep… :frowning:

Hi baileykj2,

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones including many but not all of the mattresses that are sold by Costco. As a start I would avoid all the major brands they sell and I would also avoid any mattress that uses lower quality materials or that doesn’t disclose the type and quality of all the materials inside it (see the guidelines here).

There is also more information about buying from Costco in post #4 here.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists.

While Winndom certainly does make some good quality mattresses, outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress is it’s durability and a mattress is only as good as its construction and the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label. If you can find out the information listed here about any mattress you are considering and post it on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and help you identify any potential weak links in the mattress. Without this information it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of any mattress.

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can compare to another one in post #9 here but it’s unlikely that you would find another mattress with exactly the same type of materials and the same design so the only way to know whether another mattress would be comparable in terms of PPP and how it feels would be based on your own personal testing. Once you know the type and quality of materials inside two mattresses you are considering then you can also make some reasonable durability comparisons as well based on the quality/durability guidelines here.

If you can let me know your city or zip code I’d certainly be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix