Mattresses , of course....

Phoenix,

Thank you so much for all your information and care in responding to everyone’s questions.
I’ve been reading your information and I can’t believe you know this much OR that there is this much to know about buying a bed.
I’ve been looking for about 9 weeks. I began dealing with the big shops and returned one bed and cancelled the order for another. I contacted several Online stores and I could not get a handle on how they would “feel” or what would be best for me. I am now dealing with 2 small mattress stores in the Denver area and I like them much better than the big stores. The Natural Sleep Store (Andy is fantastic) had a hybrid which I loved but a bit out of my price range. (Natur-pedic) I am thinking of Sleep Station all talalay latex Lodo mattress. I thought I preferred hybrids; however, this all latex feels quite good also. I am 118 lbs and a side/back sleeper who likes soft comfort layer and firmer support layer. It’s certainly more expensive than online buying. My question, is there something I need to find out before I purchase it. The small stores don’t have a trial period or return policy.
I told both of the owners of these stores that I had been on your site and read much of your material. They both paid kudos to you and your site and we all agreed there was no one who knows as much as you do, including themselves. Thank you for being such a support to the public.
Colorado

Hi vjk3047,

I noticed that you registered with your email as your username which means that automated spambots will be able to harvest your email and add you to their spam lists. If you’d like I can remove the @ and the domain after it and change your username to just vjk3047 (or any username you wish).

In the end the only way to know for certain how any mattress will “feel” for you will be based on your own careful testing or personal experience when you sleep on a mattress although if you have done any local testing on similar mattresses that use similar materials then you would at least have a reference point for how different materials and different types of mattresses compare … at least in very general terms. This is one of the reasons that a good trial and refund policy can be a more important part of the “value” of an online purchase so that you can test a mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk outside of the time you spend sleeping on it and/or returning it should that become necessary.

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the only way to know for certain whether any mattress or combination of layers and components is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

With a local purchase for the majority of people … careful testing (using the guidelines in the tutorial) and some good guidance will usually result in a mattress choice that is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and will generally be “close enough” so that if any fine tuning is necessary it would be relatively minor and involve different mattress pads, sheets, mattress protectors, or perhaps even a topper if a mattress is too firm (see post #4 here and post #10 here).

Having said that … for those that are making an online choice that they can’t test before a purchase, have a history of choosing mattresses that are unsuitable for them even if they have tested them, have body types or health considerations that are more challenging and make choosing the most suitable mattress more difficult, or that for whatever reason are more uncertain about whether their choice is “right” for them … then the options you have available after a purchase to fine tune the comfort or support of the mattress or to exchange or return the mattress or individual layers can become a much more important part of each person’s personal value equation. Of course the other side of this is that exchange or return options are built in to the cost of a mattress so they can add to the cost of a mattress and the majority of people who don’t return or exchange a mattress or a layer are the ones who pay for the minority of people who do (see post #3 here and the posts it links to).

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in (either locally or online) and that can provide you with all the information you need to know to make an informed choice and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix