Member's Mark vs Sleep Science Adjustable Base

Hi everyone! I’m pretty new here, so let me know if I did this wrong. I’ve been doing a ton of mattress research, and I believe I’m going to upgrade from my Sleepy’s Slumber Plush to the SOL/Earthfoam Medium Queen Latex Mattress. I currently have the Mattress Firm Deluxe Metal Platform bed frame. I don’t think this will be good for a latex/foam mattress due to how small and spread out the supports are (like when Spongebob goes through a fence).

After a ton more research on bases, I decided it would probably be most economical just to get an adjustable base from Costco or Sam’s Club.

Costco Sleep Science Base
Sam’s Club Member’s Mark (South Bay) Base

My main concern with these bases is that the fabric might be over a wire frame instead of a solid foundation. If anyone has any experience with either of these bases or could let me know if they would provide enough support for a latex mattress, please let me know. Since I live in a small apartment, I would like to keep 12-14" of under bed storage.

Thanks for the help!

Hi corey and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Glad to see you are researching your new mattress - an informed consumer is the best consumer!

As you likely know, any any mattress you find to be ideal will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions), and your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). You may want to take a look at the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and see how they compare to the Mattress Durability Guidelines. As you can see, latex is one of the most durable mattress materials available.

Your current Sleepy’s Slumber Plush mattress consists of gel infused memory foam, soft and HD quilted foam all of unknown composition and density, and a 5 zone encased coil support layer. If you enjoy the feel of latex, either of the listed mattresses should be a considerable improvement, with the increased breathability and durability latex entails. As long as you can match the comfort and support levels to your body profile, Sleep On Latex and EarthFoam carry solid quality latex sleep solutions; EarthFoam also is organic, with their 8.5" mattress consisting of organic latex, organic wool batting, and an organic cotton cover. Quite a different feel from a hybrid memory foam mattress!

Any mattress you purchase should have a list of recommended bases that will not potentially void any warranties… The Costco Sleep Science Q Series adjustable base has:

Wireless remote
Multiple head/foot lift positions
Zero gravity preset
Legs adj to 3", 6", 9", 12"

While the Sams Club Members Mark base is a more ‘stripped down’ adjustable base:

wireless remote
head and foot articulation
zero gravity preset

Adjustable bases are all similar in respect to their construction, with a metal frame, and fabric or upholstered covering that usually has a ‘no skid’ top surface the mattresses lay on. The big consideration here is whether the adjustable bases comply with the mattress manufacturers recommendations - maximum weight is one major factor they consider in their approved bases. The Costco seems a better fit from an objective standpoint as the legs allow height adjustments in increments of 3". Your Mattress Firm Deluxe metal platform is a simple wire gram base, and lacks the adjustability of the other bases you are looking at. While it appears it would be insufficiently sturdy for an all - latex mattress, again, you may want to check if this would be an approved base for the mattress you purchase, just to be sure. And you may also want to take a look at the adjustable bases offered by many of the Trusted Members of the site, to see if any of these compare more favorably to your requirements for an adjustable base. In any event, it sounds like you are well on your way to a sleep solution that will provide many years of great sleep! Please feel free to share your experience once you had some time on your new mattress.

~ Basilio