Memory Foam densities

Does anybody have experience with the 8pd memory foam from Select Foam? What is the theory behind using the higher density foam in the comfort layer vs using it in the support layer?

Don’t have any experience with that particular bed but as far as the higher density foam used in the comfort layer it seems that Select Foam is using different layering and densities to convey a certain “feel” in comparison to Tempurpedic brands. The layering and densities combined with the base and cover all add up to give the mattress a firmer or more plush feel and allow a direct comparison to the Tempur beds so you can test them in a b&m store and know what to expect from a Select Foam bed.

Hi gcrain,

I think that TweedSAFD hit the nail on the head.

They model their mattress line on the Tempurpedic line and Tempurpedic also uses their HD memory foam in the top layer in 3 of their mattresses (like Select Foam) and in the Cloud Luxe which is equivalent to the Cirrus Luxe they both use their highest density memory foam under under their 4 lb memory foam.

Tempurpedics 7 lb memory foam is softer than their 5.3 lb memory foam which is why they use it in the top layer with the firmer 5.3 lb memory foam underneath it.

Phoenix

I’m wondering if the Select Foam 8pd works the same way, i.e being softer than the 5pd.

Hi gcrain,

I believe it does (which is why they use it in the layers they do) but they are much more familiar with the specifics of their materials than anyone else so a call to them will give you much more accurate information about any of their materials.

Phoenix