memory foam for heavy guy

We went to a local chain store and tried tempur pedic and the cloud luxe and allura seemed nice but very pricey - like pushing $5k. I found out about the ultimate dreams 13" gel memory foam on amazon for under a grand and from what I’ve read here that seems fairly comparable. I read a few reviews here and it looks like a winner especially for the price. I did see one post about a restonic tempagel (I have a local store here I could try this bed out) being better constructed but significantly more costly. I’m guessing that ultimate dreams might be hard to beat due to its price. (Are there any pros/cons to buying from amazon or them directly other than with amazon you get 30 days to return?)

I’m still doing research but my concern is that because of my size that a lower quality mattress might not hold up that long so any recommendations or advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Hi zshguru,

I’m not sure how heavy you are but if you are well over 200 lbs then I would consider minimizing the use of 4 lb memory foam and using a higher density memory foam (5 lbs plus) and a higher density base foam as well. This is a great quality/value choice for more normal weight ranges but I would avoid a mattress like the Cloud Luxe or something similar for higher weight ranges. The Allura or a mattress that used higher density memory foams could make a much less risky choice. The sister company to Dreamfoam which is Brooklyn Bedding has some memory foam options that would probably be more suitable for higher weight ranges (with less 4 lb memory foam and higher density base foams).

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the tutorial post here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices and also includes a link to some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of (including Dreamfoam and Brooklyn Bedding) if you prefer to purchase online vs locally.

Phoenix

I’m about 6’1 and 330 with a wide frame. Funny you mention the Allura that was the one the wife loved.

Out of curiosity due to my weight would latex be a better material than memory foam?

Hi zshguru,

“Better” would really depend on which one you preferred (the type of materials in a mattress would be a personal preference) but a suitable latex mattress would be more durable yes.

Phoenix