Memory Foam Mattress Help

Hi Ari,

The manufacturer is usually the most familiar with their foams and designs, and without you testing out the product you’d have no way of knowing if you would sink down too much for your own personal preference. Also, I believe in the past you’re commented about the mattresses you’ve tested not being comfortable enough with good support, so this may be their best guess at attempting to solve both issues for you with what they have available. I would just make sure you’re familiar with any potential return/exchange policies they have available for you, should you choose a combination from them that unfortunately might not turn out as well as you might hope. But only your own personal testing will result in a verifiable conclusion about the comfort of this design meeting your needs.

Phoenix

Ha I know. Princess and the pea…not a fairytale !

Hi Phoenix,

Is there a similar list like this available that’s more up to date? This is a great resource but most of the densities and mattresses have changed on this list since you’ve posted it.

Thanks

what are you looking for? I needed a medium firm memory foam.
I have a nectar and a tempurpdic contour elite, happy with both though the Nectar kinda slept unevenly (softened in a very short period of time on one side) which led me to buying the tempurpdic contour elite.

If you are on a tight budget the nectar is a good price and if it it is not defective lol it is a medium firm.

I like the nectar a lot but consistency with them seems to be a big problem, for example when the one side of the bed softened for no reason they sent another one with no support at all LOL so i just kept the first one and put it in another room.

I need to build (or buy) a split California king foam mattress very soon and really need some help.

I have a significant other who has issues with her back. She is curve (not obese but like kardasian curvy). She has an issue where she would like her back and arms to sink in but what happens is her shoulders usually don’t sink in and so they push forward and the middle of her back sinks in. This causes tremendous pain. She sometimes has to sleep on the floor and while uncomfortable helps with the aforementioned issue. Her support and comfort is much more of a concern that mine but we seem to do well with similar mattresses.

I’m fairly large 6’ 7" and 280. I have tried a number of mattresses before and the only ones I have found that are okay are either ones that are hard as a rock (uncomfortable but you don’t wake up hurting) or ones with very hard dense support layers and then some memory foam on top. I built one in the past that I liked but long story don’t have it. It was hard support foam with very dense top foam.

I would like to either build one or buy one that I can replace the layers so we can try and figure out what works best. I know we want a hard support foam and then some comfort on top.

what I wanted to do was

7-8" of high density firm support foam
1" of medium firm latex on top on the high density foam
2" of 5lb memory foam on top of the latex

Does that sound like a good thing for our problems? I’m really desperate and need to order something soon. We will get an adjustable base.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable place to buy this? I tried a foam place (not sure I can say their name as they don’t seem to be partners) I have ordered from before but they don’t have mattress covers for split california king that stretch so I can’t use them.

Hi JayJay,

I’d be happy to make a recommendation but, if you don’t mind me asking, about how tall is your partner, and about how much does she weigh (if you don’t know exactly, I would mainly just need to know if she’s under 120 lbs, between 120-180 lbs, between 180-260 lbs, or 260 lbs and up).

Regarding component suppliers for a possible DIY, while not inclusive, there are some options listed here but I don’t have records of the individual component suppliers. You can do also do a search like the one linked here and look for some other lists that have been discussed throughout the forum. I would point out that the attempt to design your own mattress with no real understanding of how the componentry will eventually “mesh” together to create overall comfort and may have in some cases higher costs and unintended results …so a tempering of expectations is always realistic.

Creating a DIY mattress out of separate components that are purchased from one or several different sources, I would refer you to post #15 here and the posts it links to (as well as options #1 and #2) so that you have more realistic expectations

Let us know which direction you wish to go into and we’ll do our best to guide you or answer your questions.

LMF

Hi latexmattressfactory,

Thanks for your reply! My girlfriend is in the 120-180 range probably about 150lbs and is 5’ 9" tall.

Also to be clear I’m open to ordering the mattress from someone but most don’t offer mattresses in split cal king, aren’t firm enough. If I went that route I would prefer one where I can replace the layers. I’m just concerned about getting things right and would rather something i could switch out a layer if I need to. In fact I would probably prefer to have something off the shelf but I just haven’t (in my research) found anything but I’m no expert at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Based on the information you’ve provided, the mattress you’re looking at is a bit firmer than what I would initially recommend, but if you prefer something firmer than the average person, then it sounds like you’ve got a good DIY mattress picked out!

Thank you for your help but I am here because I don’t know what is best and I really don’t want to make one I would much rather purchase one. Do you know of anyone who might sell a firm mattress with some memory foam in a split california king preferably where the layers can be swapped out?

For reference the only mattress from a store that seemed okay (other than the ultra ultra hard mattresses with no padding) was the TEMPUR Contour Elite but they are extremely expensive. I wouldn’t feel satisfied paying for that only to feel like the bed was okay.

Hello JayJay

I am sorry that your significant other has back pains and I understand why you’d be in a rush to find a solution. From what you describe it seems that both the support and comfort of your current mattress are not appropriate but I’d be a bit careful with the sense of urgency that you are placing on buying a new mattress without really understanding your needs and preferences. I’d first investigate a bit in the cause of your pains. I’d look at the impressions of your current mattress and measure them. I’d look at the foundation and make sure that it is flat and even when someone is on the mattress. About the pains that your wife is experiencing you did not mention your sleeping positions but any shoulder pressure points and any pain can come from a mattress that is too firm and puts direct pressure on the shoulders, the shoulder blades, and cause soreness or numbness and in the arms or can often come from lack of plushness or postural issues as well. Lower back pains generally come from a mattress that broke down and created impressions or that has upper layers that are too thick and soft and/or support layers which are too soft which can allow the pelvis to sink down too far relative to the rest of the body. A mattress that is too soft can also allow the hips to sink down too far which flexes the hip joints out of their neutral position which can also lead to joint soreness or back soreness if the muscles are working to keep the back and hips in alignment. You can find a bit more information about sleeping positions and posture this in this article here and it is important to understand where the pains are coming from so that you can address the root cause.

Buying a mattress is a more organic process and if you try to rush it you can do more harm than good. A DIY project as well is a bit of trial and error process and unless you are closely guided by someone with the great deal of experience in the type of mattress and materials you are interested you’d be better off just purchasing a component style system where you can swap out and exchange layers to adjust comfort and support as needed for both you and your partner.

A 10" to 12" mattress thickness (as the one you described) would have the benefit of being a little more adaptable for higher weights and multiple sleeping positions, but to guide you I’d need to know a few more things, like … what is your budget range? Do you or your partner have issues sleeping hot? Do you have motion transfer issues? If you want to stick with the DIY that you listed above what is the ILD of the 5lbs memory foam you were considering? Is there a reason you are choosing a Memory Foam comfort layer? Have you tried latex as the top comfort layer and did you like it? (Latex contours just as well and cradles your body but has less issues when it comes to motion transfer and temperature regulations) What is your and your partner’s primary sleeping position?

While your proposed DIY can work well for some people I cannot speak of how this will feel to you as it is dependent on too many variables that are subjective in nature and only you can tell when you test the combination, but I’ll make a few comments more general in nature.
You did not mention the density of the 7-8" of HD polyfoam but generally 2 lb density would be appropriate for your weight. (At 1.8 lbs you can see early breakdown of the foam for higher weight people)
1" of medium-firm latex is a good quality and durable foam
Also you did not mention the ILD" of the 2" of 5 lbs Memory Foam but a firmer version of it would be appropriate for your weight range although being in the top layer for a high weight person I’d expect some break down over time.

I’d also make sure that you visit the Mattress Shopping tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and will help you understand how to assess your needs and preferences. Also, the links it lists would give you basic steps in looking for a suitable mattress.

After you read the few articles I referenced, you will have a better understanding of how all these variables are interrelated; please note that there is no simple answer that replaces your own due diligence and research.

LMF

Hi Cesar,

Thanks for activating this thread and pointing out to the changed lineups. I 've updated the memory foam listings in post #12 here and removed a few links in previous posts pointing to discontinued or modified lines. I did not check up on the non-members entries yet but will have another sweep through sometime soon as time permits.

It is quite difficult to maintain and keep up to date records and listings of retailer/manufacturers in across the country in an ever-changing landscape of the mattress industry but as we come across new information we revisit and edit the old listings to add/remove any relevant information. :wink: but feel free to point out if there is something that escaped my attention in this thread.

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply and all your knowledge. I really appreciate it so much.

I appreciate your concern and agree its not great to rush to get a mattress. Unfortunately i have been looking for a long time and basically not found anything to buy and or make because no one seems to have firm SPLIT California king mattresses with memory foam. My girlfriend is in real pain so I need to do something as our current mattress is just awful and hurting her considerably. Her shoulder, back and neck pain is resolved by sleeping on her back on the floor but that obviously hurts other things.

When on a bed the main issue is that the center of her back sinks in but her shoulders do not so it makes her shoulders go forward. I believe that is why firmer beds and the floor resolve the problem.

So to restate my issues as I may have stated it incorrectly.

• I need a split California king mattress.
  • It needs to be firm (probably extra firm if possible).
  • We need a very dense memory foam top layer
  • I don’t want anything with springs no matter the type
  • it can be latex or have latex in it or all foam. or a combination there of
  • I would prefer being able to swap the layers but its not a requirement
  • I would really prefer to buy something and not do a DIY
  • I would like something sooner that works okay and adjust it later if I need to but its not a problem.

Thank you for all your help

I understand why you are looking for a side-by-side component system mattress as this will allow you to customize each side for the weight differential between you and your partner so that it is suitable for both of you. Also, this layered configuration will allow you to adjust and change firmness or softness as needs change over time. (As a manufacturer of systems like these I am very familiar with these designs ) For example, if you start with a certain setup and the comfort and support is appropriate for you but your partner is still experiencing back aches, you can unzip the cover and rearrange the layers to get more support and a firmer feel.

From the information you provided I am still not able to determine if you are looking for a Memory Foam comfort layer in your mattress or what the budget range is but usually Memory Foams have ILDs in the low numbers which means that they provide too much plushness for your desired needs. I am not sure if you are stuck on the idea of a Memory Foam top layer but if you like to feel of latex (which has more resilience and support but is still very good at motion isolation) you would have more of a chance to get the firm or extra firm feel you are after in a new mattress.

If you like the feel of memory foam for the top of the mattress, I’d recommend at least a 5 lb foam because, at your weight, you want to make sure that memory foam layer is going to last for a while. If you are considering an all-latex mattress, I would suggest that your partner uses a 3"of medium over 3" of medium over 3" of firm for your partner’s mattress. If she tries that and finds that she’s still getting lower back aches, she can move the firm layer to the middle for medium/firm/medium. If that’s still too soft, she can try firm/medium/medium, and if that’s still to soft, please call us and we’ll send another firm or even extra firm layer for $45. For your side of the mattress, I would recommend medium over firm over firm. If you try this and find that it’s too soft, you can try firm/medium/firm or even firm/firm/medium. Please keep in mind that in making these recommendations

I am using one of the systems that SleepEZ is offering (you can see an example here) that fits your description of the mattress you want and this recommendation may not work the same way for other mattresses that have a similar construction but different materials. Our initial recommendations have more than 90% success rate which means that there’s a 90% chance that the above recommendation would work perfectly for the two of you. However, if after some in-home testing and after allowing your body to readjust to the new sleeping surface (which can take anywhere between 1 and 4 weeks especially if you come from a Memory Foam feel type of surface) you find that the comfort or support level is not appropriate you have to make sure that you chose something with a good return/exchange policy to allow for further customization, For example in cases like this we ship a layer exchange for a flat-rate $45 fee for the exchange which can include two 36" x 84" layers).

Also, since latex mattresses typically last 20 years, if anything changes in 5, 10, 15, or even 20 years (if you gain weight, lose weight, develop hip or shoulder issues, etc. etc.) your mattress can always change along with you. So, instead of buying a new mattress, you’re really just looking at rearranging the layers or buying a single layer instead of buying an entirely new mattress.
Layered mattresses are especially recommended for people with high BMI ranges because, if the mattress starts to break down in 10 or 15 years, you would only have to buy a new top layer instead of a new mattress, so it makes it much more affordable and cost effective in the long run.

I hope this information helps you, but if I can be of any additional assistance, please just let me know!

I know the Foamorder conversation took place in 2017 but I recently spoke with them and confirmed that all of their foams are Certipur certified, so not just the company but the actual foam itself. Also, Foamorder said they have recently changed their density from 5.3-lb 4.5-lb. I’m trying to figure out how much of a difference this makes but am proceeding with caution now.

Side question: A few companies are now using 5.3-lb foam only, in 3" or 4" layers. Are they typically of the same firmness throughout the entire 3" or 4" layer, or is there variation so that there is a softer portion on top of a firmer portion? Reps from the companies seem to be fairly uninformed when asked these type of questions. It’s tough to know whether they are simply stating their mattress with such configurations is akin to, say, a Cloud Supreme, or if it really has been designed with that mattress in mind. Many of the companies have trial periods that require the buyer to pay for return shipping, making a leap of faith hard to commit to. The one thing I like about Tempur-Pedic is that the mattresses can always be demoed in-store.

Ari and Phoenix, this thread is a wealth of information, particularly due to the exchanges you two have had over time. Thank you!

Ari, do you mind sharing your weight? You seem to have had some of the same issues as I am currently having in trying to figure out how to make an online purchase as successful as possible, while dealing with return/exchange policies that are either costly or nonexistent. It shouldn’t be this hard, haha!!

I wanted to contribute to this thread by letting you all know that there have been changes to a few popular beds. Christeli finally shared their density with me, though they initially stated they no longer share this info and asked me not to post anything online. I won’t do that, but will say that they no longer have any beds with 5.3-lb density at all. Not one. Foamorder went from 5-lb to 4.5-lb density for all of their mattresses. Novosbed’s firm has 3" of 2.5-lb memory foam on top of 1" of 4-lb memory foam with a 7" 1.75-lb poly foam base. The medium that used to have 5-lb memory foam is mostly 4-lb foam with the 1.75-lb poly foam base.

The Christeli info broke my spirit, lol!! My wife and I went back to a mattress store and tried the Cloud Supreme and Rhapsody Luxe and decided we liked the Cloud Supreme more, though the Rhapsody Luxe was still solid, just a little firm. I’ve started considering Cloud Supreme clones instead of Rhapsody Luxe clones but doubt my every decision now. No way of knowing how we’ll feel about either option long-term since we’ve never had a memory foam mattress. We just like the feel a lot and are tired of the innerspring mattress we’ve had. Also, we didn’t vibe with Latex and don’t want to go that route.

Anyway, just wanted to share some new info and a bit of whats going on with us. I’m 225 pounds and the wife is 190 pounds. We’ll figure it out one day but I wanted to have this done before Monday, when classes start back. Work and school are gonna leave no time for this intense level of mattress research, haha!

I was around your wife’s weight when I bought the contour elite, the clouds were too soft and would end up hammocking. I could feel my hips sinking too low in the store.
The rhapsody luxe felt good in one store and too soft in the other, the contour elite felt a bit firm and the contour supreme hurt LOL I have an adjustable base so it was easier to break the bed in, first night I can say I was worried I made a mistake but after that I was comfy.
Be careful though as tempurpdics new lines are using very low quality base foam 1.6lb and I don’t know how those will hold up.
I went though many bed in a box …all were either too soft to be supportive or hard as rocks
I’m happy with the contour elite , it’s the first bed in years I didn’t return within the trial period lol that says something for me anyway

Haha! You put in some serious work to find the right mattress. Hats off to you! We were both feeling the Cloud Supreme a bit more but my gut is telling me that a broken-in Rhapsody Luxe would be a wiser move, long-term. We could always add a topper if it just never felt soft enough, but the Cloud Supreme would be likely to break down too quickly with the 4-lb top layer and it would be weird adding a firm topper to a soft mattress.

Did you ever consider Tripedic? I know you considered Sleep Warehouse but it sounds like that didn’t work out. Care to share more about some of your experiences with other bed-in-the-box brands?

Is it the new models of Tempur-Pedic that contain the 1.6-lb poly, or newer versions of the popular models (Cloud Supreme, Rhapsody Luxe, etc.)? It would be heart-breaking at this point to find out that either of the one’s we’re considering now have 1.6-lb poly, as that would be a deal-breaker.

These mattress companies make this crap way too difficult. Stick to the script, man! Haha! Our biggest issue if the Tempur-Pedic models work out is that we’d be buying a floor model and this have no change or return ability. This is why I think the Rhapsody Luxe might be wiser since we could add a topper on top of a durable mattress.

If someone adds a topper, how do they fit them into the original mattress cover? Or do they place them on top of the existing cover and just fit their protector and sheets over the topper?

Hey Ari, another question I have for you is in regard to the 5.3-lb-only mattresses out there. You know… the ones that advertise being modeled or comparable to Tempur-Pedic mattress but have only 3" or 4" of 5.3-lb foam. I’ve been wondering if those have felt more stiff or firm since most companies seem to use 5-lb foam as a support layer of memory foam, underneath a 4-lb or 6-lb+ top layer.

At any rate, I don’t think I’m willing to buy a mattress that lacks a free return policy. I understand the business models snd it makes perfect sense, but I just don’t wan to go through the hassle and still have to pay for and box up a shipment. I’m pretty sure we’re going with the Rhapsody Luxe or Cloud Supreme. I’m gonna go into the mattress store today and do some lengthy testing on multiple sides. I’m thinking a full 30 minutes on my back, front, then side, for both the Cloud Supreme and the Rhapsody Luxe. I need to get a better idea of how these might work out over an extended sleeping period. Only ownership will truly tell me, but I only spent about 10 minutes on each mattress as cycled back and forth multiple times, trying to get a preliminary feel down. It was late, I had to go to work, and thus I ran out of time. Today, the real testing begins.

I think the rhapsody is going to be a better choice in your weight ranges. It will break in and be quite conforming. I was torn between the rhapsody and the contour elite. I don’t regret my purchase at all.

Phoenix is a better person to get feedback from regarding the cheaper lower density base foams they age now using.

Just leaving an appt. more later lol

I think it will be a better choice as well, durability-wise. I’m a little concerned about comfort. Those layers are so dense and firm that I wonder if they’ll ever break in and feel comforting. I’m certain they’ll support us and not lead to any pain unless it is pain from the surface being too hard. I don’t think the surface is too hard, so it shouldn’t be a problem. I just honestly wonder if it’s worth a lower mattress lifespan to have immediate comfort. That’s so wasteful, but there’s something to be said for feeling comfortable immediately, haha. This entire process is so nutty. I just want it to be over! Hahaha!