Memory Foam Mattress Help

So say you have 3" of a 5lb memory foam top layer that would be soft and it would be normal to sink down into the core foam?

Hi Ari,

How far you “sink” would be determined by many factors. Starting with the memory foam itself – some are more temperature sensitive than others, some give at different rates, some have slightly different ILDs. Next would be the foam layers beneath it – they type of foam, the thickness, the density, the ILD, the compression modulus. All of the layers of a mattress work together to determine comfort, so if the “base foam” is very stiff, the transition from the 3" memory foam would be more “abrupt”, versus a base foam that had a more “medium” ILD, where the layers would “bend in” to each other a bit more “gently”. So the same piece of upper 3" memory foam can feel very differently depending upon what is placed beneath it.

Then you also have to take into account the individual – the BMI, sleeping position, difference in dimensions in the sleeping style, overall somatotype, sensitivities, flexibility and so on.

So to answer your question, yes, it could be normal to have that feeling, but it also could be normal to not have such a sensation.

Clear as mud, I know. :S

Phoenix

WOW!
ok whew
thank you Phoenix :slight_smile:
that is going to take me a bit to absorb :slight_smile:

Hi Ari,

Just do your best imitation of a sponge :lol: , and avoid the temptation to make predictions of comfort based upon what can often be complex specifications, and instead rely upon your own personal testing results.

Phoenix

Phoenix - I sure know what doesn’t work LOL thank you so much for your time & patience! I am becoming a sponge! LOL

Hi Ari,

You’re welcome.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix
another question!
why do a lot of the beds i see online have the denser foam on top then get lower in the middle as they get to the base …wouldnt it make sense to for it to be the denser memory foam be the middle layer?

random examples

1" 4lb memory foam
3 3.5 lb memory foam
5 " 2.2 lb memory foam,

or another example

3" 4.3 pound Gel foam
3 " 3.5 pound density
5" 2.4 pound density

is that because those middle layers are transition foams?
but a bed like this then doesn’t then seem to have a transition layer

3" 5 lb Memory Foam
3" 2.25 lb HD HR base foam
2" 2.25 lb HD HR base foam
2" 2.25 lb 40 ILD HD HR base foam

don’t worry i am not building my own DIY LOL just trying to make sense of it all :slight_smile:

Hi Ari,

Creating a mattress takes quite a bit of engineering knowledge, and there’s also some “art” involved to it as well.

Remember that density and firmness are not related in polyfoam and memory foam.

A lower density memory foam beneath a higher density may create a feel where those two specific foams “match up” quite well in providing comfort. Some of the higher density polyfoams used in the mid to upper comfort layers are also quite soft (some of the newer generation of what I term “high performance” polyfoams) and can work well when combined with memory foam or polyfoam. And some manufacturers choose to have a design with a bit of a firmer feel on top (what I call a dominant layer), but they don’t want the mattress to feel too hard, so a slightly softer layer might be used beneath that uppermost layer. And a lower density support core polyfoam will usually be a harder feeling product, which is commonly used under higher density memory foams.

It’s all about using quality products and finding combinations that work well together. Even the most knowledgeable mattress designers are often surprised at what they come up with in design versus the what the final product actually feels like.

Phoenix

Thank you, that was something I have been wondering for a long time :slight_smile:
Makes complete sense and also is a good reminder of how important a good and practical return policy is. There is just no way to know how something will feel no matter what the “recipe” is.
Thanks Phoenix!

Hi Ari,

You’re welcome.

Phoenix

Phoenix!

I’m going round in circles now LOL

I was talking to Mike at foamorder - I was concerned 4" of memory foam was too thick and I would be swallowed up in a hammock- he thinks the only change he would make is an inch less of the v34 foam to create more support
Your thoughts on this configuration below please?

4" of 13ild memory foam 5.3lb/ft3
1" of 31-34ild (our v34 foam) 2.6lb/ft3
6" of 40-43ild (our v44 foam ) 2.6lb/ft3

Hi Ari,

The manufacturer is usually the most familiar with their foams and designs, and without you testing out the product you’d have no way of knowing if you would sink down too much for your own personal preference. Also, I believe in the past you’re commented about the mattresses you’ve tested not being comfortable enough with good support, so this may be their best guess at attempting to solve both issues for you with what they have available. I would just make sure you’re familiar with any potential return/exchange policies they have available for you, should you choose a combination from them that unfortunately might not turn out as well as you might hope. But only your own personal testing will result in a verifiable conclusion about the comfort of this design meeting your needs.

Phoenix

Ha I know. Princess and the pea…not a fairytale !

Hi Phoenix,

Is there a similar list like this available that’s more up to date? This is a great resource but most of the densities and mattresses have changed on this list since you’ve posted it.

Thanks

what are you looking for? I needed a medium firm memory foam.
I have a nectar and a tempurpdic contour elite, happy with both though the Nectar kinda slept unevenly (softened in a very short period of time on one side) which led me to buying the tempurpdic contour elite.

If you are on a tight budget the nectar is a good price and if it it is not defective lol it is a medium firm.

I like the nectar a lot but consistency with them seems to be a big problem, for example when the one side of the bed softened for no reason they sent another one with no support at all LOL so i just kept the first one and put it in another room.

I need to build (or buy) a split California king foam mattress very soon and really need some help.

I have a significant other who has issues with her back. She is curve (not obese but like kardasian curvy). She has an issue where she would like her back and arms to sink in but what happens is her shoulders usually don’t sink in and so they push forward and the middle of her back sinks in. This causes tremendous pain. She sometimes has to sleep on the floor and while uncomfortable helps with the aforementioned issue. Her support and comfort is much more of a concern that mine but we seem to do well with similar mattresses.

I’m fairly large 6’ 7" and 280. I have tried a number of mattresses before and the only ones I have found that are okay are either ones that are hard as a rock (uncomfortable but you don’t wake up hurting) or ones with very hard dense support layers and then some memory foam on top. I built one in the past that I liked but long story don’t have it. It was hard support foam with very dense top foam.

I would like to either build one or buy one that I can replace the layers so we can try and figure out what works best. I know we want a hard support foam and then some comfort on top.

what I wanted to do was

7-8" of high density firm support foam
1" of medium firm latex on top on the high density foam
2" of 5lb memory foam on top of the latex

Does that sound like a good thing for our problems? I’m really desperate and need to order something soon. We will get an adjustable base.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable place to buy this? I tried a foam place (not sure I can say their name as they don’t seem to be partners) I have ordered from before but they don’t have mattress covers for split california king that stretch so I can’t use them.

Hi JayJay,

I’d be happy to make a recommendation but, if you don’t mind me asking, about how tall is your partner, and about how much does she weigh (if you don’t know exactly, I would mainly just need to know if she’s under 120 lbs, between 120-180 lbs, between 180-260 lbs, or 260 lbs and up).

Regarding component suppliers for a possible DIY, while not inclusive, there are some options listed here but I don’t have records of the individual component suppliers. You can do also do a search like the one linked here and look for some other lists that have been discussed throughout the forum. I would point out that the attempt to design your own mattress with no real understanding of how the componentry will eventually “mesh” together to create overall comfort and may have in some cases higher costs and unintended results …so a tempering of expectations is always realistic.

Creating a DIY mattress out of separate components that are purchased from one or several different sources, I would refer you to post #15 here and the posts it links to (as well as options #1 and #2) so that you have more realistic expectations

Let us know which direction you wish to go into and we’ll do our best to guide you or answer your questions.

LMF

Hi latexmattressfactory,

Thanks for your reply! My girlfriend is in the 120-180 range probably about 150lbs and is 5’ 9" tall.

Also to be clear I’m open to ordering the mattress from someone but most don’t offer mattresses in split cal king, aren’t firm enough. If I went that route I would prefer one where I can replace the layers. I’m just concerned about getting things right and would rather something i could switch out a layer if I need to. In fact I would probably prefer to have something off the shelf but I just haven’t (in my research) found anything but I’m no expert at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Based on the information you’ve provided, the mattress you’re looking at is a bit firmer than what I would initially recommend, but if you prefer something firmer than the average person, then it sounds like you’ve got a good DIY mattress picked out!

Thank you for your help but I am here because I don’t know what is best and I really don’t want to make one I would much rather purchase one. Do you know of anyone who might sell a firm mattress with some memory foam in a split california king preferably where the layers can be swapped out?

For reference the only mattress from a store that seemed okay (other than the ultra ultra hard mattresses with no padding) was the TEMPUR Contour Elite but they are extremely expensive. I wouldn’t feel satisfied paying for that only to feel like the bed was okay.