Memory Foam Mattress Help

Hi
I decided to reach out to mattress hub instead since the boss did develop this bed and they sell it in their stores and it has been confirmed the densities and the certipur certification(Diamond mattress) .

Hi Ari,

I’m glad you were able to find a way to confirm the foam densities and the CertiPUR-US standing on the Quilbed. Thank you for sharing!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix- I don’t know how you do it, I’m so tired of beds and layers , customer service people and ilds etc lol

Anyway this is a new bed in a box tomorrow sleep - doesn’t the medium soft sound more durable and supportive then the medium firm?

Medium firm
1" 3.5lb Memory Foam Layer
1/2" 2.5lb Air Cooled Comfort foam layer with Gel
1.5" Dynamic Response Foam Layer
6" coils at the bottom for additional support."

Medium soft
1" 4.8 lb Viscoelastic (memory foam)
2" 2.5 lb foam layer with Gel (help keep you cool)
6" Series coil
6" x 3" Foam rails with Side Ventilation
1" thin base foam layer which the coils rest upon

Hi Ari,

[quote]Anyway this is a new bed in a box tomorrow sleep - doesn’t the medium soft sound more durable and supportive then the medium firm?
Medium firm
1" 3.5lb Memory Foam Layer
1/2" 2.5lb Air Cooled Comfort foam layer with Gel
1.5" Dynamic Response Foam Layer
6" coils at the bottom for additional support."
Medium soft
1" 4.8 lb Viscoelastic (memory foam)
2" 2.5 lb foam layer with Gel (help keep you cool)
6" Series coil
6" x 3" Foam rails with Side Ventilation
1" thin base foam layer which the coils rest upon[/quote]

Tomorrow Sleep is managed independent of Serta Simmons Bedding (SSB) by Bryan Murphy, a successful eCommerce/Software entrepreneur (WHI Solutions). SSB is building their hybrid mattresses for them (see this article).

The Medium Firm uses a total of 3" of comfort materials, with the memory foam being a bit lower than what I would normally recommend (3.5 lb vs. 4 lb), and you didn’t list the density of the “Dynamic Response Foam Layer”. The Medium Soft uses a higher density memory foam, and the polyfoam layer beneath that uses a better density of foam. There isn’t more detailed information on the spring unit listed on their web site. The Medium Soft, with the specifications you listed, would be using more durable materials overall than the Medium Firm, but again there isn’t complete information provided.

Even with that being said, mattress durability is incredibly complex, and I wouldn’t be able to predict which mattress between these two might be more durable overall than the other. To give you an idea of what is involved regarding the durability of a completed mattress, and while certainly not a complete listing, take a look at some of the factors listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix-I knew it wasn’t exactly what you would want but I had all the info I could drag out of anyone there

Hi Ari,

You have all the tools you need to analyze the componentry within any product, and you’re getting quite good at getting that information!

Phoenix

thanks to you Phoenix!
:slight_smile: thank you

Hi Phoenix
I tried getting the missing info for the tomorrow sleep we talked about above. Here was the response

“I am sorry, but I don’t have the specific information regarding the density of the Dynamic Response Foam Layer. Regarding the coil system, every coil is expertly crafted from durable high-carbon steel and flexes separately for head to toe support. The result is a stabilizing structure designed to support each of your sleeping positions and reduce motion transfer between you and your sleepmate. They make up the bottom half of the mattress as seen on the site and are 6” 800 Series coil (.083" wire). "

I am pretty sure I have chosen the quil if I do bed in a box again unles you say WOW that sounds amazing about something else lol

Hi Ari,

That’s too bad, as they seem to have been able to acquire all of the other foam densities for you.

That would be 13-3/4 gauge steel, to put it into perspective in relation to other innerspring units.

As you’re well aware, that’s not my modus operandi. :lol:

Thanks for sharing your findings.

Phoenix

There’s a new company called Snuz that has some great memory foam mattresses. They’re a little above your budget but right now they are running a $200 off promotion that should allow you to get a queen for under $600.

Hi TedBundo,

I’ve deleted your post as it’s promotional and as such it violates the rules of the forum. You are required when you post here to disclose any relationship you have to the industry, and as an employee who designs the web site and does the SEO for the company you were promoting, future posts such as the one you just made will not be tolerated and you will lose your posting privileges here. Please stay within the rules of this site.

Phoenix

well if you like something soft Quilbed may be for you. It was not for me…I lasted one night and went back to the nectar. I felt like I was being swallowed by foam on the Quil :frowning:
Very nice customer service though, shipping and refund were both quick

Hi Ari,

I’m sorry your Quilbed didn’t work out for you and was too soft for your personal preferences. :frowning: I do appreciate your feedback on this (and I’m not sure to whom you were addressing your post), but I’ll also add my “standard” disclaimer that how you feel on a product and how others will respond can have a wide variation based upon things such as BMI, somatotype, sleeping style, personal needs, levels of strength and flexibility, sensitivities, etc.

Phoenix

whoops…Phoenix I was addressing it to you…LOL i was in a rush …we had discussed the quil earlier on this thread
thanks!

Hi Ari,

Got it. OK, thanks!

Phoenix

Phoenix :slight_smile:
do all memory foam beds soften more on the side you sleep on? i have read in more then a few reviews of couples sleeping with a hump between them and i noticed myself i need to rotate the bed weekly to keep the support level i need. its not the 1st bed i have had this issue with
Are all memory foam beds like this ?

Hi Ari,

[quote]do all memory foam beds soften more on the side you sleep on? i have read in more then a few reviews of couples sleeping with a hump between them and i noticed myself i need to rotate the bed weekly to keep the support level i need. its not the 1st bed i have had this issue with
Are all memory foam beds like this ?[/quote]

That’s an excellent question. All foams will change over time and result in a loss of their ILD and support factor – polyfoam, memory foam and even latex.

The type of softening or visual cue in the change of the product will depend upon the overall construction, and most notably in the uppermost foam layers, as those undergo the most direct and mechanical stress.

You may notice over time a compression set (permanent loss of height) in foam from bending or collapsing of the cell framework. You’ll tend to notice this more with mattresses using polyfoam in the quilt panel, and more with lower density, convoluted and softer polyfoams. Also, polyfoams that have a more open quilt pattern in the quilt panel can often result in slightly deeper visual “impressions” as time goes on. A top quilt panel that has been cut too large or not affixed tightly to the border panel when joined via tape-edging can also negatively impact impressions in this top layer.

Memory foam may “show” a better height recovery after compression than some other foams, but you can still notice a flex fatigue (loss of firmness) in the areas where the foam is used more than in areas where the foam isn’t used.

You’ll also want to make sure that any foundation and support structure placed beneath any mattress is flat and firm and doesn’t become concave and allow the mattress to flex and impress excessively.

All of the layers of the mattress work together and sometimes it can be difficult to determine where the foams may be “taking a set”, or if some upper foam layers are actually only contouring to layers beneath them that “sagging”, but most often what you’ll initially see will be form the uppermost layers, and over time does tend to even out more in the areas where more use happens where the mattress isn’t used as often. Higher density polyfoams and memory foams will tend to have better durability and show a less dramatic change in their overall comfort and modulus over time as compared to their lower density counterparts.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix for that very helpful information.
The foundation is new and we discussed it on another thread before I bought it of course lol
I have been assuming that it was low density foam issues but wanted to ask you rather then a mattress salesman - sadly they are as honest as used car salesmen lol

Phoenix - I have one more question for today LOL
when you recommend 5lb foam in the comfort layers and base layer foams over 2lbs for higher bmis because they are more durable- does that also mean both foams are firmer?

Hi Ari,

You’re most welcome.

I’m sorry for not recalling about that :whistle: , but I’m glad that it’s not the “culprit”.

I definitely sympathize with you about mattress salespeople. There certainly are some good ones out there who are knowledgeable, but definitely it’s in the minority.

The 5 lb recommendations would be for the memory foam, and the 2 lb recommendation would be for the polyfoam support core. With polyfoam and memory foam, density is not directly related to the ILD (softness). A high-density polyfoam could be produced in very soft or very firm variations, and a low density polyfoam can be produced in a very high or a very low ILD. This is different from latex, where there is an almost direct relationship between higher density and a firmer comfort. Almost all memory foam you would likely encounter will be quite plush.

A higher density is related to a more durable polyfoam or memory foam. A harder (higher ILD) polyfoam can also contribute a bit to extra durability, but density would be the most important feature for that. This is the reason for the higher density recommendations.

Phoenix