Memory Foam Mattress

My husband and I purchased Tempurpedic mattress about 12 years ago. At that time I don’t recall there being different styles to choose from. Recently my husband felt he needed more support, therefore we purchased new mattresses. We are on our third set. I didn’t like any of the memory foam we tried including the newer Temperpedic. I want to know how to find mattresses more like the original Temperpedic sold in early 2000. Does anyone know if they are still available or which other brand is close to that?

Hi JPS,

Newer versions of memory foams that are currently available in the industry tend to have less temperature sensitivity and a faster response time because so many people didn’t like the motion restriction and “sleeping in sand” feel of the earlier generation of slower response memory foams which along with sleeping temperature was the biggest complaint about memory foam so the more temperature sensitive and slower response memory foams are much more difficult to find.

You probably have the Tempurpedic Classic and the closest mattress to the one you have would probably be the current Tempurpedic Contour Supreme which uses their 5.3 lb memory foam which also has a slower response than many other types of memory foam although it may also be worth trying some of the other firmer mattresses in the Contour series such as the Contour Elite or the Contour Rhapsody Luxe to see if you prefer them.

There are other manufacturers that make memory foam mattresses that use similar quality/density materials and are in much lower budget ranges but while they may sell memory foam mattresses in a similar firmness range to your current mattress and provide similar pressure relief and support/alignment … the versions of memory foam they use would have differences in temperature sensitivity and response time so they probably wouldn’t have the same subjective “feel” as your Tempurpedic.

Because the feel of different mattresses can be very subjective and different people can describe the same mattress very differently … the most reliable way to know which mattress feels closest to your Tempurpedic would be based on your own testing and personal experience.

The mattress shopping tutorial also includes a list of some of the better online memory foam retailers and manufacturers I’m aware of (in the optional online step) and many of these make mattresses that are designed to approximate the current lineup of Tempurpedic mattresses but while they may be similar in terms of firmness and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … they may not have the same subjective “feel” as you seem to prefer.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area and some of these may also carry memory foam mattresses that are in a similar firmness range and provide similar support/alignment and feel “close enough” to your Tempurpedic mattress that they may also be worth considering.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix for your response. One of the other issues that I had with the three new sets I’ve tried is the motion transfer. With my original ones, you could barely feel if at all each other getting out of bed. I live in Stockbridge Georgia just south of Atlanta.

Hi JPS,

Faster response and less temperature sensitive memory foam can be a little less motion isolating than slower responding and more temperature sensitive memory foam but memory foam as a category would be the most motion isolating of all the foam materials.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Atlanta area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix