Memory Foam Solutions mattress toppers

Hi Aleins4u,

There are some good and not so good choices on Amazon and which this is depends on the accuracy of the description and on a few other things you can check.

1. You can ask for the shipping weight of the product to confirm the density of the topper.

2. I would make sure that the memory foam is CertiPur certified (or an alternative certification which has some credibility) because this increases the odds that it is at least “safer” and made by a more reputable foam manufacturer. This one has been certified by PURGreen (see post #12 here) which doesn’t make it bad but there is no set of public standards about what PURGreen tests for and it is mostly a testing protocol used by a single company and it’s subsidiaries (Woodbridge) although they are at least North American (Canadian) based.

3. I would also ask the vendor about the type of memory foam it may be in terms of all it’s properties (response rate breathability, temperature sensitivity etc and you can see more in post #9 here) so that you can get a sense of where it is in the spectrum of the many hundreds of types of memory foams that are available and whether it will “match” the type of memory foam that you may prefer.

4. 4" of memory foam is very thick for a topper and how suitable this may be for your needs and preferences will depend on many factors including the layering of the mattress that it will be used on. If your comfort layers are too thick (including the topper) there is an increasing risk that you may be trading pressure relief (which won’t likely need this thick a layer of memory foam in addition to the mattress you have) for reduced alignment and support (you could be too far away from the support layers of your mattress and some of the softer foams that are in the top layers may effectively become part of your support system which could lead to alignment and back issues).

So I would tend towards a bit more research just to make sure that a memory foam layer this thick (in combination with your mattress) is “as advertised” and suitable for your needs and preferences.

Phoenix