Memory foam topper over latex?

Hi, I’m struggling to find a mattress that I love. I ordered an Amerisleep AS3 since it was marketed for combo sleepers. My husband is primarily a back sleeper who likes a firmer sleep than I do. I’m primarily a side sleeper who has had shoulder surgery and need pressure point relief. Though I slept well the first few nights, my shoulder began to hurt. After two weeks, I set up a return. I did more research on latex, went to a Savvy showroom to see how I liked the feel, but there was no way I could pay what they were charging. After more TMU research, I bought a 3" soft talalay topper thinking I’d save up for the mattress components. I liked the idea of giving my hubby a firmer feel. Fast forward to my current latex mattress which is firm Dunlop on the bottom followed by medium Dunlop, then split medium talalay for him and soft talalay for me with the 3" soft talalay topper on top. While the support is great in some respects(lower back doesn’t hurt, sleeps cool), my shoulder still hurts. The latex is too bouncy, and I wake up multiple times at night as my husband moves in his sleep. I miss the slight “sunk in” feel of memory foam. I tried an inexpensive Wal-Mart 3" memory foam in place of the latex topper and slept soundly, but my lower back was sore. Would a higher quality memory foam topper make a difference, or do I need to start over again? I’m so desperate for pain free deep sleep.

Hi onepeachymama,

A 5lb or 6lb density memory foam topper will provide more support than the 4lb and may help alleviate your lower back pain. Have you tried a 2" memory foam topper? Most of the issues we see with the lower back are either cause by a topper that’s too thick, or a mattress core that’s not offering enough support. You may want to experiment first before you decide to start all over again.

Did I answer all your question?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!
Mario

So you think two inches of 5lb memory foam topper would give me the hug sensation that I’m looking for? I’m more concerned about my shoulder pressure point. My lower back was only sore the one night I used a cheap memory foam topper in place of my latex one.

Hi onepeachymama,

2" of 5 lb memory foam will help relieve pressure points on hips and shoulders and It will gently hug you and give some support.

It will help with your shoulder pressure point, however I cannot confirm if it will completely alleviate all the pressure as their are too many variables at play here.

Did I answer all your question?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!
Mario