Metal Bed Frame vs Universal Bed Legs

I plan to purchase a 3 or 4 layer latex bed and wood slat foundation from SleepEz and I’m wondering if I should replace my metal bed frame with the high impact plastic legs? My current metal frame for a CA king has six legs. Four legs are on the outside rails and two legs are in the center of the two horizontal rails. The frame is currently 15 years old. Would the high impact plastic legs (I think they are Universal Bed Legs or something similar) be stronger? It looks like each foundation has eight legs or a total of sixteen for a CA king. The legs also come in different heights from 3 to 10 inches.

Hi djs70,

I think that both would be strong enough to hold the weight of a latex mattress (assuming your metal foundation is high quality) but I personally would go with the legs because it has more support points and a single unit would have more stability and less to go wrong than a 2 piece unit. It’s also easier to disassemble, the legs are easier to remove and change should you need to adjust the height, and perhaps most of all I’ve had enough bruises, shin scrapes, and stubbed toes on metal frames from groggy carelessness that I just don’t particularly like the metal frames anyway.

I should also mention that the foundation you may be talking about is no longer available (the one with the 8 legs that is built like a tank) and he now sells a KD foundation and universal legs legs can be purchased directly from the manufacturer. The SleepEz site is in the middle of an update which will bring everything up to date but the foundation was just not economical enough to make the cost of shipping it worthwhile.

Phoenix

I found the Universal Bed Legs to use with SleepEZ’s frame at a good price + free shipping via sleeplikeabear.com. Can’t figure out why we need 12 legs for a king latex mattress. I know they’re heavy, but isn’t that overkill?

Hi merrymjP,

The king sizes are a split foundation with two pieces so you would need 3 legs on each side of each half of the foundation.

Phoenix