micro coils vs pocket coils w thicker latex vs spring w more turns

Hello! Thank you for the wealth of info posted here. I’ve searched the forum and read many postings but I don’t recall seeing a definitive answer to my “support” wonderings. It might be an apples & oranges situation where it’s just two different paths but I would like any feedback you have.

I am looking at mainly 2 different queen mattresses from Lapensee. I included findings from Hardy’s & Dauphin in case someone else is looking at them.

LAPENSEE
Comfort collection - elegance ($1700 | $2100)

• a good quality soy or latex foam ($1700); better quality foam ($2100)
  • Flip
  • guarantee 15 | 20 years;

Luxury Collection ($2700)

• their highest quality soy/latex foam; (highest quality of all materials used)
  • has coils with more “turns” (20% more wire) to make it more responsive
  • best quality gauge of steel wire across theirofferings
  • they make their own springs
  • Flip
  • guarantee 20 years;

With Lapensee mattresses:
if it compresses within normal range you can pay to have the padding replaced if it bothers you; outside the normal range/any defects - customer has a choice of requesting it fixed or apply a residual value credit towards a new purchase.

• not sure yet price range to pay for padding replacement
  • residual credit option is interesting as if it lasts 70% of it’s life you can choose a credit to get a small discount on a newer potentially better materials/designs. However if the mattress doesn’t last 50% of it’s life then I would buy again from them.

All options were comfortable.

I have had 2 back procedures so spinal alignment & support as a side sleeper (occasional stomach) is super important. I am 150lbs; hubby is 210lbs

W.r.t the Lapensee, would the more/tighter turned coiled spring (12 vs 9 turns steel wire) really translate to a more supportive & responsive mattress for a side sleeper given that there is a thick comfort layer above it?
(The price tag is higher, but if the design really gives a superior support and better spine alignment over a 10+ year span the extra cost is ok for us.)

How does 3lb soy foam (20% soy) compare to latex (talalay) foam with respect to hamocking?

#3 - we’ve now eliminated Dauphin (the micro coil option - below) but I would still like to know: does the micro coil + 1" latex design provides the same “conforming support” given by a thicker soy/latex foam layer?

Assumption w.r.t longevity

Since Lapensee will replace the padding if it sags (factory is close by) & the mattress is flippable the less durable latex is a wash against the more durable microcoil.

DAUPHIN
Dauphin Sapphire 2 ($2600 reg; On sale could go as low as $1600)
http://matelasdauphin.com/en/product/sapphire-no-2/

• micro-coils and 1" layer of latex
  • NO Flip
  • Warranty 20 years; Dauphin does not fix mattresses. If something goes wrong in years 0-5 they make you a new one. 6+ years they give you a residual credit.
    [ we eliminated them b/c of the warranty ]

HARDY’S
(Queen is around $1700)

• pocket coils with customizable firmness and foam top.
  • no micro-coils or coil variety
  • Gaurantee 20 years; Similiar to Lapensee w/o residual value buyback.

[ we eliminated them only b/c we could not sample the one we would be buying and wanted to minimize after sale back & forth; they have minimal innerspring (lots in foam) samples in store to try out ]

Hi bjones,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

With the mattresses you’ve listed, you need to acquire more complete information about all of the materials within the mattress. The specifications you need to know are listed in this article. The good news is that Lapensee tends to be transparent with the materials that they use when asked.

Assuming all things are equal between the two springs (such steel gauge, outer diameter, overall height and the spring index), adding more coils (revolutions) will result in a spring that has a lower spring rate, which is what is being mentioned as a “more responsive” spring (it will contour at a more gentle rate). It wouldn’t be a “stronger” spring, which most people equate with a spring that is harder feeling. Increasing the number the coils (revolutions) is one manner to increase the conformation of a compression spring (lower the spring rate - number of pounds to compress one inch).

In post #2 here I describe in more detail the use plant based polyols in polyfoam. In a nutshell, part of the polyol portion used to create polyurethane foam is replaced with a plant-based polyol. There’s a brief explanation of this from one of the polyol manufacturers here. What you’re describing is simply a piece of polyfoam.

A softer piece of polyfoam or a softer piece of latex will allow for more “sinking in”. Latex overall will tend to have a higher compression modulus (it firms up faster as weight is applied) than most polyfoam. But how much a piece of foam will deflect versus another depends upon the ILD and the compression modulus of those pieces being compared, and of course in a completed mattress depends upon the other materials within that mattress.

Again, this depends upon the specifics of the materials being used, which aren’t provided. In general, latex will tend to be the most durable of all foam materials. The higher the density the latex, the more “supportive” it will be, but the firmer it will feel. With polyfoams, density is not necessarily correlated to softness, and the higher the density the more durable the foam will tend to be, but the ILD of the polyfoam will tend to be more indicative of the overall plushness (or the feeling of “support”).

Phoenix