Mira lux X(10)

Hello!
Recently in the market for a new mattress, and came across a Mira lux X, gel pillow topper with zone coil underneath. Latex is really important to me, but I have found that the latex mattresses are a bit out of my price range. I fell in love with a latex pillow topper mat, and thought I could maybe put that on top of a slightly less expensive mattress, hence my inquiry about the Mira lux X.
It concerns me that I can’t find any information on this bed! It is like the bed doesn’t exist, except in the local store (SleepWorldAsheville, NC). My wife is really concerned that we will get a lemon. Other beds we are considering are kingsdown, and the Sealy iSeries, and adding the latex pillow topper to those as well.
Any information on this Mira Lux mattress would certainly ease our minds! We want to make sure the mattress, and company are legit.

Thanks!

Josh

Hi avl,

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

[quote]It concerns me that I can’t find any information on this bed! It is like the bed doesn’t exist, except in the local store (SleepWorldAsheville, NC). My wife is really concerned that we will get a lemon. Other beds we are considering are kingsdown, and the Sealy iSeries, and adding the latex pillow topper to those as well.
Any information on this Mira Lux mattress would certainly ease our minds! We want to make sure the mattress, and company are legit.[/quote]

Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … the most important part of the value of a mattress is it’s durability and a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label. If you can find out the information listed here about any mattress you are considering (including the Miralux X which is made by Corsicana) and post it on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials in the mattress or the mattress as a whole and help you identify any potential weak links in the mattress.

I would also avoid most of the major brands including Kingsdown, Serta (which makes the iSeries), Sealy, and Corsicana (see this article) or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the information you need about the type and quality/durability of all the materials and components inside it so you can make an informed purchase choice (see the guidelines here).

I would also tend to avoid buying a mattress with the intention of buying an additional topper where you can’t test the combination in person unless you have no other options available because of the additional uncertainty and risk involved compared to buying a mattress that doesn’t need a topper that you can test in person (see post #2 here).

Some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Asheville, NC area (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier) are listed in post #4 here.

Some of the better online latex and latex hybrid options I’m aware of that are in lower budget ranges and may also be worth considering are listed in posts #3 and #4 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for your speedy, informative response! I have submersed myself in this website, and feel much more confident understanding mattresses, and the industry.

After some back and forth between me and my original retail mattress salesman, I decided on the Latex hybrid that Brooklyn Bedding makes! I had originally decided on this mattress after some intense research over the weekend, and wanted to give my salesman a fair chance at finding me something comparable in quality and price. He was a great salesman that had my best interest in mind, and I truly believed that from the start, but in the end he couldn’t compete with the factory direct aspect that BB is offering. He did some research for me about BB, and questioned whether BB was getting their core and Dunlop layers manufactured in China, and adding the “2 talalay layer on at their factory and calling it made in the USA, but in the end it was my conversation with Mario, and my follow up research about the latex manufacturers that BB dealt with that sold me on BB. I am confident that the materials in my new bed will be what they say they will be! I was surprised that the 6” poly foam core had a 2.0 lb density! I had originally thought it was 1.5-1.8. Made me smile.

I will update this post when my new bed arrives, and I have a chance to sleep on it for a month or so.

Thanks again for all the stellar info that you provide, Phoenix! This site is truly amazing, nobody that I know will ever by a mattress blindly again!

Cheers!

Josh

Hi avl,

You certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It’s surprising what people will come up with sometimes even when there is no evidence to support their “questioning”. As you probably know from your conversations with Mario and your reading on the site the Talalay latex in their mattress is made in the US by Talalay Global, the Dunlop is also made in the US by Mountaintop foam, and the polyfoam support core is poured in the US and CertiPUR-US certified as well. Their factory

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit as well.

Phoenix