More frustrated and confused.

To add-on to the Flame retardant conversation… The Mattress I choose (Aloe Alexis from Brooklyn Bedding) has a 1.5 inch wool layer for breath-ability and Flame retardant too. If I’m not mistaken, this is the only product added for that so it’s completely natural and chemical free. Besides, My Queen size AA was only $1399 less the “Mattress Underground” discount ($69) and two free shredded Latex Pillows. I don’t think the product I bought was the only high Quality bargain but to sum it up: I’m happy, sleeping well and stayed far away from a $4000 mattress without consequences.

Hi ShopperGirl - I hear you, loud and clear! Any chance you could buy the platform from someone local who would deliver and set up, and then buy the mattress from a separate source? I’m like you - not real sure which of those two alternatives you listed would make me feel sicker!

I hope you can figure out a solution that works for you - that period of time in between deciding you need a new bed, and actually getting one you want, can seem to stretch on forever.

Hi, dn!

Actually, I DO enjoy negotiating! It’s like a game to me!

I will definitely see what we can work out on our call later this afternoon. Yes, I have spent months and months to finally arrive at a mattress, but I always did feel in my gut that there must be an equally viable option that wouldn’t break the bank.

The mattress I purchased does indeed have the wool barrier, and they say there are no chemicals either in the product or used in the manufacturing of the product. So, I should be good to go on that front anyway.

Clawdia, I was actually just thinking of that option this morning! If I do that, I would have to take a leap of faith if I decide to opt-out of the contract and purchase online. THat whole process (buying a mattress online without testing it first) is scary to me.

Hi, Jefmoody.

LOL! Yes, I, too, would likely sleep much better if I don’t have to dole out that much dough. But, I was prepared to pay the original quoted price for mattress + foundation, but the added $500 is really pushing me over the edge. :wink:

Hi ShopperGirl,

Some of the information on the Strobel site is very misleading and inaccurate. Burning a single loose strand of knitting wool has absolutely nothing to do with its successful use as a fire retardant material and I have no idea why they put such obviously misleading information on the site. You can see a few more comments about them and some other fire retardant “urban myths” in post #2 here.

If you live in the Chicago Area it may also be worth asking Quality Sleep / My Green Mattress (who are members here and make some great quality/value mattresses) if they can make you a mattress without any fire retardants with a prescription if that is important to you although using either wool or inherent viscose/silica to pass the fire regulations would have no toxicity or chemical issues that I’m aware of.

Chemicals used to pass the fire regulations are also a separate issue from any VOC’s that come from the materials used in the mattress itself. For those that aren’t comfortable with the CertiPur certification used for polyfoam and memory foam then innersprings, natural fibers, and latex may all make good choices.

Phoenix

Hello again, Phoenix!

Thanks for the info.

I have no issues with using wool as a flame retardant; I don’t need a prescription non-chemical mattress.

Many months ago when I first began my mattress shopping I did visit the store you suggested, and did find a mattress I like. The issue I had is that the store was filled with bugs/spiders and I have a severe mold allergy which also was triggered badly when I was in that store. (Nothing against the owners; it is a very old building and there is really nothing that can be done.) Still, because of my mold allergy, I did not want to buy the mattress there, for fear that some mold spores may end up on it, as they make their mattresses on site. I did bring my concern to the attention of the sales lady, who agreed with me, but we both realized there wasn’t much that could be done. Maybe the situation has changed, as I have not been in the store for several months.

First, let me say this community is AWESOME! I so very much appreciate all the responses, suggestions, offers of assistance and ideas! you guys rock!

Second, I wanted to provide an update: I spoke with the owner of the mattress store, and not only did he agree to honor the contract at the price he quoted, but the contract also includes free shipping. So, this is definitely a store that honors its committments and helps the customer. It makes me so glad that I purchased from a locally-owned business, too. I am not saying that online-only businesses don’t provide great customer service; I know most do. But when you can deal with someone in your own community, I think both parties have more of a vested interest in working things out.

Again: thanks to all for your comments and suggestions!

I’m glad to hear you arrived at a good solution for you.

I also wanted to deal with someone who was local; fortunately, that was possible, and not only was my purchase tax free/tax deductible, but they also provided free delivery, set up, and subsequent exchange of a comfort layer that was a bit defective - all within about a week of the original purchase. They’re located 60 miles away, and I was impressed with that service!

I was much more comfortable with all that than I would have been with an online purchase of something I hadn’t been able to try, and it didn’t escape my attention that Phoenix seems more than happy to spread the word about good mattress people regardless of whether they are formal members of the site. It’s not that I don’t buy far too much online, but I was happy to buy locally this time.

Thanks, Clawdia.

I am just glad I don’t have to start this whole bed-shopping ordeal all over again! :woohoo:

I tend to buy a lot online, too, but it’s mostly stuff I can’t get locally. And, as you said, with something like a bed, I really want to try before I buy to (hopefully) get the right one the first time. I loathe the hassle of exchanges and returns.

Now for the fun bedding shopping: Getting a new quilt! I saw a cute white-with-turquoise-seashells one that I’ve had my eye on for some time. Now that I know for sure which bed I am getting, I’m ready to replace my old tattered, shredding, “holey” old one. :slight_smile:

LOL - the bedding really is part of the fun! I’m shopping for a mattress protector and sheets. :slight_smile:

Hi ShopperGirl,

I’m glad that you were able to resolve the issue … and congratulations on your new mattress. You certainly made a good quality choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix!

I can’t wait to get it. As I told the retailer today: I was happy when I walked out of the store yesterday, and if he will honor what we agreed to, I’m pleased as punch to get my new mattress delivered. :slight_smile:

And many thanks to you again, Phoenix, for your insights and suggestions! You really have created an amazing and trustworthy site for mattress shoppers!

Well, my Savvy Rest mattress was delivered yesterday. I went with the following configuration, from bottom to top: Medium Dunlop, Medium Talalay, Soft Talalay.) I tried it in the store with the Medium Dunlop, Medium Dunlop, Soft Talalay, and told the sales person it was too firm. He said if I ordered it with the medium layer Talalay instead of Dunlop, it would be softer, but he didn’t have any medium talalay in the store that I could try. So, I went with it.

After getting only about three hours of sleep the previous two nights (worked very late for work), I thought I would be able to sleep on anything. I even thought this would not be a fair test of my new mattress, because I was so tired and could barely keep my eyes open all day yesterday and that I would mistakenly contribute a good night’s sleep (which I was anticipating getting with my new mattress) to the Savvy Rest.

I was wrong. I slept for about two hours, and woke up so stiff and sore! I dozed off and on for another hour or so, and couldn’t take it anymore. I finished the night sleeping on my couch, which is nice and soft. Slept like a baby on the couch.

I want this thing (the new latex mattress) out of my house. NOW!

I called the store owner, and asked if he was sure that he had the right layers in the mattress, because it was MUCH firmer than even the one I had tried in the store. He double checked and said I had the correct layers. I looked at the layers myself and they were marked properly. He said what likely happened is that the layers I had tried in the store were different ILDs, given that two soft talalay layers will have much different feels because of the range of ILD for soft. He said the store one could have been on the low range of the soft (the top layer), and the one I got on the high range.

Well, ain’t dem some sour apples. What kind of crap is that? Had I known that, I may have considered other options much more carefully.

Given Savvy Rest’s “no return” policy (which I was fully aware of before I bought the mattress, so I am not complaining about not being able to return it), I don’t know what to do. I don’t know if you can even resell a used mattress. (Although I only slept on it one night, it is, technically, “used.”) Hell, at this point, I’d sell the whole darn thing --mattress, foundation, wool mattress pad (paid $170 for that) and the two free pillows (never used; I like my own pillows but, hey, the pillows were free) for half of what I paid just to get this torture chamber out of my house. The pain I was feeling after “sleeping” (I use the term lightly) is not from injuries; about an hour after I got out of that mattress and on to my couch, all pain and stiffness in my back and legs completely went away, so I know it is that SR mattress.

NEVER AGAIN! All the media hype about the greatness of all latex, “choose-your-layers” mattresses suckered me in. At this point, I would even consider one of the chemical-laden mattresses. At least those are comfortable. And what’s worse: not being able to sleep because of pain and stiffness, or getting a good night’s sleep and inhaling chemicals. Next time I am getting a pre-made one in a store, and I am going to a store with a return policy. (However, I have never in my life returned a mattress. I have always tried them in the store, and was happy with them when they were delivered. I just don’t buy into this D-I-Y mattress stuff anymore. At least when you buy one made at a factory, they are all made the same, and you aren’t getting this line that "Well, the ILDs are only a range…)

The only positive I will say is that I was not stuffed up at all while on the Savvy Rest. I can’t remember the last time I did not get stuffed up at night, so clearly my old mattrress had its share of dust mites in it. But that is the only good thing I can say from my experience. (And I realize it is just that: my experience. I have read many other posts on this formum where people love their latex mattresses.)

I am off to check the laws in my state for re-selling a mattress. If I am not able to sell it, this was one very expensive lesson.

I can see you’re pretty upset, and I would be too. Similar thing happened with me (mattress too firm) but I was fortunate I’d selected a retailer and mattress maker had an excellent comfort policy to correct. I treated it like a process, iterating to perfection.

It looks like Savvy Rest has something similar:
http://www.savvyrest.com/policies/latex-exchange

If you’re interested in working with the mattress you have, you do have a couple things working for you (ability to change layers, it’s easier to soften a mattress vs firm one up)… it is unfortunate it’s not perfect right at delivery.

You’ll probably hear a lot of people say you need to give it 30 to 60 days, but if it’s painful to sleep a night then that’s not helpful advice.

In my case, I had started (bottom up), firm, med, soft. It was hellishly too firm for me. I was taking Tylenol and Advil to sleep on it to deal with pressure pain. I switched it to firm, soft, soft, and it’s been a world of difference. No pain and really nice. Not perfect, but 95% the way there. I have a bunch more things I’m trying (med at bottom, and 3" wool topper), I am trying to get that last 5% comfort (and I’m princess and pea type, so my standards way up there). My point being, even changing a single layer has a significant effect.

Thanks for your sympathy, dn. I just went online to seach for a five-inch featherbed topper as a interim measure until I can (hopefully) find a buyer for this mattress. My fear is that the feathers will get firm quickly, as feather toppers I would guess would compress and bunch up unless they are fluffed every day, which I would be happy to do if it gave me some relief.

I called the Savvy Rest dealer again today trying to discuss exchange options, and he said swapping out the middle medium talalay layer for a soft talalay layer probably wouldn’t make much difference. He did acknowledge there might be “some” additional softness, but not the amount I was looking for. I asked about going with three layers of soft, and he just said he would not recommend that for spinal alignment.

He also said something I found counterintuitive: He said a middle soft dunlop layer would be SOFTER than a middle medium talalay layer. (Again, not a LOT softer, but some softer.) He said if I had gone with a soft dunlop middle layer, it would be exactly the same feel as the what I have now – middle layer soft talalay. Wish I would have known that before I doled out the money for the middle talalay layer. :dry:

So. I will first try the featherbed topper. Unfortunately that is only available online, so I will have to wait a week for that. Meantime, I will start putting up postings in some of the local organic food stores and organic clothing places. If no luck, then I will post on Craigslist. The big problem, I am guessing, is that I cannot offer delivery, so if someone wanted it, they would have to haul it themselves.

I’ll let you know how the featherbed topper works when I get it. Keeping my fingers crossed. :slight_smile:

My only caution (depending on your financial situation, it may or may not be relevant) is to not make a bunch of rash purchases, and throw good money on poor solutions. A 5" feather topper untested by you, of unknown quality, has a higher degree of risk than a material you’ve tested in a store. And yes, feathers do pack down, especially if they’re lower quality.

I don’t agree that changing 1 layer won’t make a difference. It did for me.

It doesn’t surprise me that soft Dunlop would be ‘softer’ than medium talalay. That would make sense to me. That said, the perception of softness/plushness is a personal preference, so it’s possible different people think differently.

Good luck!

Thanks once again, dn, for your great advice. I so appreciate it!! :slight_smile: Yes, money is a concern for me! LOL! :slight_smile:

That is why instead of swapping out a layer (which would be a pricey proposition), I thought I would try a topper first. I really don;t know if I want to invest that kind of money (again!) for something that may or may not end up with the cushy feeling my back needs. Even if the topper doesn’t help with this mattress, it wouldn’t be money wasted; I can always use a topper on any new mattress I may get.

A friend of mine just alerted me to a “high end consignment shop” in Chicago that re-sells higher-end furnishings. Obviously I wouldn’t get anywhere near full price back for the mattress, but it may be an option to consider if I absolutely cannot tolerate this. (And, yes: they do accept mattresses, but charge a fee to sterilization, which they must do by law.) Getting something would be better than nothing.

At this point, I am just investigating all of my options. My very strong preference, as I said earlier, would be go just get rid of the thing. Sleeping on a horribly uncomfortable mattress will end up costing more in the long run in medical bills and ill health effects than just fessing up that I made a very bad decision and taking my medicine (in the form of financial pain). I only wish latex would perform like some of the toxic mattresses and soften up substantially after use. :\

I’m so sorry your mattress hasn’t worked out for you!

One thing you were told confuses me - “He said the store one could have been on the low range of the soft (the top layer), and the one I got on the high range.”

I thought that Talalay latex was sold as a single number for ILD (19, 22, 36, etc.), while Dunlop is the latex that’s sold with a range of ILD - like my Dunlop mattress was sold as having an ILD range of 16-18 for the comfort layer and 19-23 for the core. Since I’ve seen Dunlop labeled that way, but not Talalay, what you’re told about the low range and high range seems a bit odd. Then again, as much as I’ve learned from reading here, I’m quite sure there are still a lot of things I don’t know.

I will warn you that a good featherbed topper isn’t a cheap alternative in my experience - the one I’d considered buying before I decided to get a new mattress was in the $500 range for a queen size. You can get cheap ones - but the couple of times in the past that I did try cheap ones I was reminded very quickly that often you get what you pay for - the one I bought a couple of years ago in the $250 range wasn’t much good two years after purchase, and I’m the only one who used it, so I’d really expected it to last longer in good condition. That one was from The Company Store, and I also bought one for my daughter from Pacific Coast which wasn’t very satisfactory either. You may think now that fluffing a featherbed everyday would be no big deal - but doing that very thing for six months is what tipped me over the edge towards buying a new mattress. Then again, I was having to unmake and re-make a queen sized soft sided waterbed every day to fluff the featherbed, and it was making my back most unhappy.

I got a flawed comfort layer in my mattress initially where there was a lot of variation in density in a few spots, but thankfully the store swapped out that piece for a perfect layer at no cost to me. Sometimes imperfect latex does slip past quality control - and because of what happened to me, I’m wondering if perhaps something similar happened in your case. It doesn’t sound as though Savvy Rest is very willing to work with you at this point, which really seems a shame considering their prices.

I hope you can find a good solution for your problem!

Hi ShopperGirl,

I’m sorry to hear about your issues as well.

Outside of dn’s great suggestions once again … I would add my vote that you go very slowly and take things one step at a time. A day or two is not nearly enough to really make any major decisions. You have many options before taking more radical steps or adding to your costs. Don’t forget that the mattress you have is a very high quality choice so the goal is to find a way to fine tune it so that your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is just as good as its quality. If you sell the mattress your expenses/losses will be much greater than if you are successful in fine tuning it to your specific needs and preferences.

The first place I would start is post #2 here which can help you eliminate any of the other variables (including the initial break in period and the adjustment period that is part of every new mattress purchase, any toppers or mattress protectors you are using, and the effect of the quilted cover). Your mattress will change it’s “feel” over the first 30 days or so as materials soften a bit and the cover stretches.

This is part of the nature of natural latex and in most cases the ILD variation will be outside the range of perception but for some that are more sensitive it can make a difference. I would also find out whether the mattress you tested in the store was using Talalay latex made by latex international because they have recently changed to Radium Talalay which may also make a difference (the ILD’s between each may not be directly comparable).

A featherbed will have its own surface softness but is also less resilient and elastic than latex and may interfere with the ability of the latex below it to contour to your body shape. It can add some softness in terms of “feel” but may also add some firmness in terms of pressure relief. You can read more about the different types of softness in post #15 here. keep in mind that softness is very subjective.

Like dn … I also believe that changing a layer can make a significant difference and one of the benefits of your Savvy Rest is that you can exchange a layer. It would certainly be worth trying this before selling the mattress IMO. His advice here …

… is exactly the process I would follow … one step at a time. The initial purchase of a component mattress is just one step in the process.

But the first step would be to follow the suggestions in the first post I linked so that at least you have more clarity about the types of changes that would be most beneficial to you. One day is just not enough to evaluate your mattress and you have too many remaining options available to make quick decisions that can cost you a great deal of money IMO.

Phoenix