More frustrated and confused.

Hi ShopperGirl,

I understand that it may feel softer to you because “feel” and softness is very subjective and subject to each person’s perceptions but furniture foams need to be firmer than mattress foams or you would bottom out when you sit on them. If your furniture had foam in it as soft as the top layer of foam in your mattress you would sink right through and bottom out.

Your doctor may know lots about medicine but he appears to know little about latex or mattress materials. That would be like saying all fruit tastes like an orange. Latex comes in a very wide range of firmness levels from ultra soft to very firm and everything in between. Technically if a latex layer and a polyfoam layer are rated at the same ILD then the latex would actually be softer than the polyfoam because of the difference in the ways the two materials are tested.

I understand that your mattress may not feel the way you like or may feel firmer to you but the “feel” of firmness and softness is very subjective and what feels firm to one can feel very soft to another and vice versa. Even wood that is carved out to your exact body shape would be soft in the sense of being pressure relieving … as long as you didn’t move and feel the hardness of the wood because it doesn’t adapt to changing shapes.

While of course you are free to test whichever layers you want … I would still suggest trying the firmer layer over the softer layer if for no other reason than to see if it makes a difference. You have little to lose at this point.

Phoenix

Well, as you say…at this point I have nothing to lose. I will try the firmer (medium) talalay on top tonight and see if that makes a difference. Who knows? If it helps, well, then that was an easy fix.

Hello, Clawdia.

You mentioned that your mattress is the softest you can get in latex. Would you mind sharing your layer combination? I am surprised because I mistakenly thought Dunlop was a firmer latex than talalay. Maybe instead of switching out my middle talalay layer for a soft talalay, I should go with a soft Dunlop. Although…now that I think about it, the guy at the store did say that soft talalay was about the same as medium dunlop, and soft talalay was softer than soft dunlop. (Oy…my head is spinning again from all of this. LOL!)

Yes, I feel very fortunate with my couch. THAT was well worth the investment. Sadly, they don’t even make that couch anymore, so if it goes kaput, I’m SOL. I defnitely wouldn’t do a used couch for the exact reason you mentioned: bed bugs.

If I continue to have such excruciating pain, I won’t even wait the 30 days to exchange the layer; I will do it pretty quickly. At least if I switch out the layer, I will then know whether there is any hope of keeping this mattress or not. Better to invest $175 to exchange a layer than dump the whole mattress without trying every option. It just is difficult for me to keep a reasonable perspective when I am in so much pain from the mattress. As I said: Thank God I at least have my couch.

Hopefully tonight I will be able to make it through on my mattress a little longer. With a suggestion from Phoenix, I plan to put the medium layer on top and the softer layer in the middle just to see what happens. It can’t hurt at this point.

Hi ShopperGirl - sorry if I confused you - my mattress is the softest in a Dunlop latex that I found - it has a 19-23 ILD six inch core with a comfort layer that is three inches of 16-18 ILD. I’m pretty sure Talalay in those ILDs would be softer. If you have Talalay and Dunlop in the same ILD, I think the Talalay would always feel softer.

I was looking for soft, and this feels great to me now - but if at some point it doesn’t feel soft enough I’ll have the option of finding a very soft Talalay topper that I can add to the mix if needed. For the moment I’m perfectly content with it the way it is. I did think initially that I wanted to sleep more “in” the bed that “on” the bed, which isn’t quite the way the Dunlop mattress seems to work - but the important things, that I feel comfortable and have good spinal alignment and great pressure point relief, are certainly present with it the way it is. As I said, I’ve yet to have any pain at all that I could blame on the mattress, so I’m taking that as a good sign that I picked what my body needed even if it might not have been what my mind thought it wanted ahead of time.

You know…I really think the difference is in the thickness of the layers. I found a mattress at Penny Mustard that felt really, REALLY good. But rather than three, three-inch layers like the Savvy Rest, it has one six inch soft talalay layer in the middle,and one inch of medium talalay on the top. It is a very squishy soft mattress–just like I like.

Also, the ILD in their soft must be much softer than the SR soft ILD. When I scrunch the sample of the Savy Rest soft talalay in my hand, it is much “firmer” than when I squish a sample of the soft talalay used by Penny Mustard. Oh, well…too late now. I already made the wrong choice. (I didn’t know Penny Mustard even carried mattresses until AFTER I purchased this one and started more aggressively reading this forum to find answers. That’s when another person mentioned the Penny Mustard stores. Dang! Wish I had known about them sooner!!)

Thanks for the info. If the suggestions from Phoenix don’t work at all tonight, I may just bite the bullet and switch out the medium talalay layer for a soft. And, unzipping the casing has helped a little…

Hi ShopperGirl,

You’re very right that the thickness of each layer along with the softness of each layer and other foam specs as well such as compression modulus and others are all part of how all the layers and components of a mattress interact together to create the feel and performance of a mattress. You can see a few of the factors involved in post #2 here but learning all the technical aspects of mattress design and theory can be a long learning curve and in the end still won’t tell you any more about which mattress is more suitable for you than your own personal experience. Some of this is quite counterintuitive in many cases.

I think that the actual soft latex would be fairly close but there is a significant difference in the layer thickness and design. The Platinum Dreams says they use 24 ILD which would be fairly close to the ILD of the soft Talalay latex that Savvy Rest uses in their soft layers as well although latex that is made by different manufacturers isn’t always directly comparable.

All of this is fairly technical though and the most important thing is your own personal experience and finding a way to sleep soundly over the course of the night :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hey, Clawdia.

Just thought I would follow up on our discussion about one side of the mattress feeling firmer than the other. Remember when I said I thought I was imagining it? Well, last night went to switch the order of the layers as Phoenix suggested and, lo and behold, I found the top layer had two pieces of talalay GLUED TOGETHER! That was supposed to be one of the big selling points of this mattress–no glues with chemicals.

So, my top layer has 20 inches that is from one slab of latex, and 39.5 inches that is from another. I can’t believe I didn’t catch that as they were putting the mattress together for me. The other layers are as they are supposed to be: solid slabs with no pieces haphazardly glued together.

I called the dealer, and he was with a customer so he says he’ll call me back. I can’t believe this. I totally feel bamboozeld by this whole experience.

Anyway, just thought you would get a kick out of this, given our discussion about one side feeling more firm than the other.

Phoenix,

After reading the linked post you referenced in your last comment (technical factors of a mattress), I think a lightbulb may have gone off for me.

Specifically, the discussion on “resilency” (bounce back, if you will), made me wonder if perhaps what my body is rejecting isn’t necessarily the firmness or ILD, but too much “push back” from the talalay. If I interpreted the post correctly, Dunlop does not have as much bounce back or push back as Talalay. If that’s the case, I am wondering if my back may react better to an all Dunlop mattress.

I opened my mattress again and squeezed the medium Dunlop layer with my hand and then squeezed the medium Talalay layer. The Talalay layer definitely felt “harder” to sqeeze than the Dunlop.

I really liked the feel of my old pplyfoam topper mattress, so I am thinking Dunlop may more closely mimick that feeling and level of support than Talalay. Would the be a fair assessment, or am I totally misinterpreting the post on the technical aspects of a mattress?

Hi ShopperGirl,

You are getting into some rather technical issues here that can be very complex and somewhat counterintuitive which is the relationship between ILD, resiliency, hysteresis (energy absorption), layer thickness, point elasticity, compression modulus, pressure redistribution, and what some people call “pushback” and the “feel” of different materials.

There is more about “pushback” in post #2 here.

Dunlop actually has a lower resilience than Talalay in most cases and lower hysteresis (the opposite of resilience and is the amount of energy a material absorbs instead of returns).

When your body is at rest it can’t tell the direction of force (either from a material pushing back or your weight pressing down) because all the forces are in equilibrium. Once you’ve “stopped” sinking in then there is only pressure along your body profile which has no direction.

Dunlop and Talalay also have a different compression modulus so if you have a layer of each material that were cut from the same ILD core then if you pressed it only a little bit the Dunlop would be a bit softer (the initial compression isn’t as firm) but if you squeezed it more deeply then the Dunlop would be firmer because it gets firmer faster as you squeeze it more. ILD is only measured with the original 6" core and is the amount of force that it takes to compress it 25% of its thickness with a 50 sq in compresser foot. In some areas of the world the “standard” ILD is tested at 40% rather than 25% which would produce completely different numbers.

If you have a tight drum for example and you dropped a ball on it the ball would bounce quite high because the drum has a high resilience and returns most of the energy of the falling ball. On the other hand if you dropped the same ball on a spring then it may also have the same rebound (resilience) but the spring would compress more deeply than the drum surface before it launched the ball back into the air. The spring in other words would be more “springy” even though the resilience was the same and the drum may feel more “bouncy” (I know these are somewhat subjective terms but I’m using them for clarity). Talalay feels more “springy” because it sinks in more deeply than Dunlop before it stops so the amount of up and down movement is more and it also has a higher resilience. In other words it feels more “lively” than Dunlop which is why some people say it has more pushback (it allows for more movement). the firmness or softness of both types of latex wil also affect it’s “bounce” or “springiness”.

When you lie on a material and sink into it your weight is re-distributed according to how well the material conforms to the exact shape of your body (point elasticity), its softness, and how quickly it becomes firmer. Different materials and designs re-distribute weight in different ways and to different areas of the body and have a different “feel” which means that each material or design may have it’s own unique areas of greater or lesser pressure.

All of this together adds up to the “feel” of a material and mattress design and different people have different preferences and sensitivities to different designs and materials. I prefer the more lively “feel” of Talalay for example while my daughter prefers the less lively “feel” of Dunlop.

The Talalay layer you were squeezing may also have been firmer than the Dunlop because Dunlop cut from different parts of the original 6" core will have a different firmness (the bottom half of the core is firmer than the top even though they would both have the same “firmness” rating because only the core itself is tested for firmness).

Polyfoam has lower resilience and higher hysteresis than either Talalay or Dunlop and in an equivalent softness rating or ILD will “allow” the heavier parts of the body to sink in more. It is a much less supportive material than latex in the sense of having a lower compression modulus and getting firmer less quickly than latex. It’s also not as point elastic as latex which means it doesn’t conform to the shape of the body as closely.

All of these materials also have a different compression curve because only metal springs have a straight line compression. The compression curve of foam is shaped more like a banana (you can see the compression curve of some Talalay and a spring here and of some polyfoam here) and the difference between Talalay and Dunlop here. The initial resistance of some types of foam is higher until the cell walls start to bend and the rate of firmness increase slows down until finally the foam cells are mostly collapsed and the resistance rises very rapidly again. Each different version of a material can have different specs and compression curves which each re-distribute weight differently.

All of this can be very difficult to analyze or measure accurately and the subjective “feel” that results from the technical specs is difficult to describe but your body will “cut through” all the specs and tell you what it likes and doesn’t and produce “symptoms” when a design isn’t suitable for it. The hard part can be figuring out what the symptoms are pointing to and what to change with all the technical specs, possibilities, and variables involved and the somewhat subjective nature of how our bodies actually “feel” all the different specs.

What’s clear to me is that in its current configuration your mattress isn’t “working”. What’s less clear is what exactly needs to change and this can take some experimentation and trial and error to get a clearer idea and clues to the exact source of your symptoms. Even configurations that make things worse can sometimes provide clues about what will make things better.

Phoenix

ShopperGirl,

I am also trying to add toppers to my new latex bed to make it more comfortable. I have 3 layers of 3" 100% talalay from Foam Sweet Foam… from top to bottom, M, F, XF or N3, N4, N5. I had a soft top layer, N2, but exchanged it for an xfirm, N5, for my base layer. I also feel the “push back” from the talalay. I have sore hips and legs from it. I believe that I need a softer less “springy” pressure relieving surface. I ordered a wool fleece topper:

Amazon.com

I have liked the feel of these in the past, so I will give it a try. If I need more, I am thinking about a 1" soft 19-21 dunlop topper to put directly under the wool fleece topper. I think the soft dunlop will be a better feel on top rather than a talalay. To me, talalay has a hard feel even in a fairly soft ILD, like an N2. I think my M, F, XF will be good in the long run and I hope it will be durable. I’m hoping that my adjustments to the top will make it really comfortable. Not sure about a 1" dunlop soft topper… just going on my instincts here and all the info that I’ve gathered from this site. I will try just the wool topper first by itself… it should arrive in a few days and I will let you know the results. (I am 125 lbs. and like a med.firm mattress, but I do need a pressure relieving top.) This is the dunlop topper I’ll consider if needed:

https://sleeponlatex.com/collections/queen-latex-mattress-toppers/products/1-latex-mattress-topper-queen

Diane

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Diane – and for the links to the toppers! I will definitely consider those if I can’t get this any more comfortable by switching out a layer.

It certainly seems as if a lot of folks have difficulty with getting the comfort right with latex. When I embarked on this journey, I certainly never expected it to be this complicated and time intensive. LOL!

Please do let me know how the wool fleece topper works out for you. :slight_smile:

Wow, Phoenix! You’re knowledge and insights into the technical aspects of mattress design and materials continue to amaze and impress me! If nothing else, I am certainly getting an education through this process. :slight_smile:

I did try switching out the layers, as well as removing all toppers. That made it worse, so I think the next step is a switch out of middle talalay layer. I am unsure yet as to whether I will switch out the middle medium talalay layer for a soft talalay, or a soft dunlop. Before I do that, I think I will go back to the store and try a configuration with soft dunlop in the middle, although I have found that he configuration in the store doesn’t feel anything like what you get upon delivery. (At least not in my case.) But, hopefully, it will give me an idea of the different “feel” of a dunlop center core. Right now, without trying the configuration, I am leaning toward getting the dunlop for the middle section.

Wish me luck. :slight_smile:

Hi ShopperGirl,

[quote]I did try switching out the layers, as well as removing all toppers. That made it worse, so I think the next step is a switch out of middle talalay layer. I am unsure yet as to whether I will switch out the middle medium talalay layer for a soft talalay, or a soft dunlop. Before I do that, I think I will go back to the store and try a configuration with soft dunlop in the middle, although I have found that he configuration in the store doesn’t feel anything like what you get upon delivery. (At least not in my case.) But, hopefully, it will give me an idea of the different “feel” of a dunlop center core. Right now, without trying the configuration, I am leaning toward getting the dunlop for the middle section.

Wish me luck. :)[/quote]

I also think that this would be the best approach and while it may not be quite he same as your sleeping experience … if you take your time with the testing and are as objective as possible testing for pressure relief and alignment and pay close attention to the more subtle cues from your body then you should be able to get a clear sense of the direction of change that will work best for you. Make sure that you wear loose comfortable clothing and that you take your favorite pillow with you because this will help simulate your sleeping environment more closely.

I would also keep in mind that Dunlop has more of a range of ILD’s between layers and there may be more variance between a layer that you test and a layer that you actually receive. If you call Savvy Rest they may also be able to hand pick a soft Dunlop layer that is on the softer end of the ILD range. Talalay will tend to be a little more consistent because it has less ILD variance between layers than Dunlop.

Good luck … and I’m looking forward to hearing about any insights you gain from further testing :slight_smile:

Phoenix