More toppers or start over with new base?

I bought a Sleep on Latex Medium mattress 6 months ago. It is Medium 6" Dunlop 34 ILD under 2" Dunlop 20 ILD. We were having pain, and pressure points (sore hip and shoulders, low back and neck pain). When I wrote SOL and have our specifics, they said adding a topper was the best route.

Our specifics:
*Primary User: 5’ 2" 130 lbs. Side sleeper. 60 years old, Neck issues
*User 2: 5’ 6", 190 lbs, side sleeper, 56 years old, issues neck to hip
(I only use 1-2 days a week, so defer to primary user needs if choice required)

We added a 3" Dunlop soft topper 20 ILD. This helped, but we still weren’t getting full nights sleep without pain.

Due to personal circumstances we missed 100 exchange window. I pulled a 3" Sensus 5 lb Memory Foam topper from another bed and that almost is a good bed. Our problem is we need to put the Memory Foam topper back where it came from (it is also a twin and our bed is a queen). But since we are both still a little tender, even after 8" of soft added to the 6" Dunlop, I’m feeling that the SOL Medium is the real problem.

Question: is there a topper that would allow us to sleep without getting sore? I don’t want to keep buying toppers if it’s just a too firm base. On the other hand, if a topper would do the trick, that would save us a lot of money. We are using this bed when we caregive and not getting enough sleep because the bed hurts is really bad for everybody. We need a bed that works, so if I have to bite the bullet and redo the base then I’d rather know now.

Lastly, if we do need to get another base, can an upholstery shop slice that 6" Dunlop into two 3" layers? Then we could at least probably reuse the Dunlop 34 ILD as the base on our guest beds or something. Just don’t want to have wasted that much money.

Thanks again for your time. I have really tried to find this out in the forum. I have been a member for years and have read a lot. The variables are just frying my brain. And everybody’s Latex seems to feel different. So thank you, I do need an experts help!

J

Hello and thanks for reaching out! Sleep on Latex’ advice about adding a topper was good advice, but I would have recommended that you get a 3" soft Talalay topper. Talalay is bouncier and springier and is generally better at contour and pressure relief on your hips and shoulders. Dunlop is denser and firmer and is generally better at support and maintaining proper spinal alignment. As such, Talalay is much more common for the top layer of a mattress and it is certainly more common for toppers. You already have Dunlop as the core of the mattress, so I don’t think you’ll need to replace or make any changes to the core of your mattress. You certainly wouldn’t want to make the core any softer, most people go with a 6" medium or firm core, and anything softer than that is liable to lead to back pain due to a lack of support. A Talalay topper would do a much better job of relieving hip & shoulder pain, and it’s a better choice than Dunlop or memory foam for your topper, so I think Talalay is the way to go. If it were my decision, I would try a soft 3" Talalay topper before dissecting your current mattress.

Thanks so much. This clarifies a lot. I really like your website, too.