Must buy today online.......

Hi Everyone,

Very new here. To (try) make a long story short, I just came back to visit my elderly parents yesterday (88 dad 82 mom) and found out they are in worse shape than I thought. My mom cannot get into their bed any longer as it’s too high (the mattress is sagging as well) so she sleeps in a very old recliner that seems terrible. (Need a new electric lift recliner if anyone has recommendations!) My dad is bed bound, so he eats and sleeps there nearly 24/7.

After quickly researching as much I can in several hours (my siblings found this site a while ago but won’t help as they’d then have to help pay for everything) I’ve determined they absolutely need an adjustable split king bed to help my dad raise to eat and take meds. The foot rise option would greatly help my mom with her swollen legs. Win win.

So adjustable bed and from reading a latex mattress seems to be best.

Mind you I have to order TODAY. So here’s what I’ve rounded it down to:

Base:
Leggett and Platt Scape
Or
Reverie 5D King (2pc Split)

Mattress:
Organic Latex Mattress 9,000 (9 inch) California King Split (SleepEZ)
Or
9" Botanical Bliss Latex Mattress (Plush Beds)

Again from quick reviews I’ve also rounded it down to ordering from SleepEZ or Plush Beds online. Though I can be swayed to buy from elsewhere. Their bed now is 29 inches high so I need something significantly lower than that. The L&P base is 15" I believe and the Reverie can be adjusted even lower, so with a 9 inch mattress that should be low enough.

As far as firm/soft, my dad could sleep on rock since he has severe dementia. He doesn’t know firm from soft. My mom would like a little “softer” mattress but not sinking into it. He is 175lbs and she is 205lbs. They cannot go out of the house so it’s impossible to take them to any local stores even to test anything out. That’s ALL I have to go on when ordering a mattress. Ugh.

Any thoughts on these two adjustable beds and mattresses? How about the online retailers? (We are in the Northern Virginia area) Our budget is $5000 or less. The SleepEZ combo is $4500. The Plus Bed combo is $4896.

I know read read read, but frankly I’m desperate. Also, I will have to put the adjustable base together. Is this difficult? I’ll have one person to help move stuff around with me, but I’ll be doing the assembly myself. Does anyone suggest white glove delivery or is it easy enough to do yourself?

Sorry for such questions when I know the information is here. I greatly appreciate any help. I’ll call whoever I order from and get suggestions from them as well. (Won’t mention I’m THIS desperate time wise though to them)

Thank you in advance.

Hi lastminute,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!:slight_smile:

I’m sorry about all of the issues your parents are having, but at least they have you to help them through it. I know it is difficult to purchase something for someone else, especially something as personal as a mattress. I’ll do my best to assist you.

These are both good quality items and I wouldn’t recommend one over the other necessarily. Assembly of wither of these is quite easy. The biggest thing with White Glove is getting the items into the bedroom, as they’re quite heavy.

Regarding the two mattresses you were comparing, they both uses comparable components (the SleepEZ does allow more configurability and choices between Dunlop or Talalay with the 3 layers), but in my opinion you’ll get a better value with the SleepEZ, especially if you consider the 9" Natural or the 9" Organic.

I’ve kept my responses short and to the point here as I know you are in a hurry. I hope this helps.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the quick reply! It is very tough with elderly parents at that age for sure. I guess I have a 12 hour or so grace period as ordering today wouldn’t speed anything up more so than ordering tomorrow since it’s the weekend. So I shall read and read even though I’m definitely leaning towards my original SleepEZ choice. With your help of course!

Next up asap purchase of an electric lift recliner!!

Thanks again!

This forum is GREAT btw! But darn there is a lot of info to digest!! Hopefully I can use some of this info for a new bed for myself. I’m sure I’ll be quite jealous once I see their new bed in action haha!

Hi lastminute,

I’m glad I could be of assistance. I was worried my response wouldn’t be fast enough for your timeframe. As you may be aware, SleepEZ is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about latex and different configurations, and I would not hesitate to recommend them for your consideration.

Yes, over five years of 16 hours a day does tend to accumulate quite a bit of information for you to sift through. When you are ready for yourself, the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones. As you’re working on another (and most important) project right now, I’ll leave it at that regarding your own personal process.

I’ll be interested in learning about your decision for your parents.

Phoenix

So I ended up calling SleepEZ today. They were very nice and helpful and most important, zero pressure. We went with the Leggett and Platt Scape due to being a wall hugger and not wall snuggler(?). Though he assured me I’d be happy with either as both are very popular.

He went over the height and weight of my parents and suggested the mattress type/firmness. Probably plugging the info somewhere to get the results but that’s OK. Nice plus is we can change out layers if they don’t like them. We went with the Natural Latex instead of Organic. My parents wouldn’t know what organic was.

My only problem and it’s a BIG one, and this is on our end, is we ordered a Queen Split mattress. Thinking the Split King was too big for their room, at the last second I changed my mind and went with the queen. While size wise it’s definitely better for their room (Split King is 16 inches wider) just looking around online after placing the order we found that sheets/mattress pads for a Split Queen are hard to come by even online and never sold in stores. I found it odd they didn’t even have any I could buy when placing the order and should have changed my mind right there. But didn’t.

So anyone have a Queen Split adjustable bed? Where do you get sheets and pads for it? Any thoughts on a Split Queen please pass them on.

I assume I can change the order as I placed it tonight right when they were closing and still haven’t received a confirmation email.

Being a person with an unusual bed size as well, I buy my bed linens entirely from on-line merchants and have been very happy with their products.

I looked briefly on-line as well for you and did find options–although limited, as you say. I saw split queen sheets and a split queen mattress pad on Amazon. There were a few other websites that offered these bed linens as well. I’d go ahead and purchase what you did find and suspect you’ll be happy with what you receive!

Hi lastminute,

“Wallhugger” is the trademarked name Leggett and Platt uses for their design of the adjustable bed sliding back slightly toward the head when the head section is raised. “Wall-Snugger” is the term that Reverie uses for the same type of function.

Congratulations on your new adjustable bed base and mattress. :cheer: You certainly made a good quality choice with the all-latex mattress. SleepEZ uses their decades-long experience of helping consumers with latex configurations for different needs, sleeping styles, BMI and somatotypes to provide their best suggestion for a product that will hopefully have the best chance for success. While there are general guidelines that are helpful that they use for recommendations, unfortunately there is no one algorithm to predict the “perfect” mattress. At least not yet! :wink:

Post #7 here and the links it contains provides information about quite a few different types of sheets and retailers selling them, but I don’t have anything specifically listed about split queen items. While an “odd size”, split queens are commonly ordered in adjustable beds. I did a quick search and came up with quite a few options, with Advance Bedding offering many different styles at the top of the list.

I hope that helps.

Phoenix