My boyfriend shakes and moves around all night, what type/brand of king mattress will be perfect for us?

My boyfriend tends to move around a lot at night and I need to sleep. We basically sleep on our backs, sides and stomach some nights. We are looking for a King mattress and have been doing research online and it’s just so overwhelming with all the brands and types of memory foam mattresses. We are moving to Olympia and need to have the bed delivered before we arrive so we have something to sleep on. We also would like a mattress that is made in America and not too expensive (max $1800) Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi Meliblue,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice that meets all your criteria (including motion isolation) … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Memory foam is the best at motion isolation but latex and pocket coils are good for this as well. The best way to test for motion isolation though is your own testing on a mattress using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post (with both of you on the mattress) because a mattress that may be “motion isolating enough” for one couple may not be as suitable for another couple that is more sensitive.

Once you reach step 3 in the tutorial then the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Olympia area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #5 here but it sounds like you hope to purchase a mattress before you move so if you let me know your current city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your current location.

The tutorial post also includes several links to lists of some of the better online options I’m aware of as well if you are considering making an online purchase.

Phoenix

Hi Meliblue, thought I’d share this that I found out about memory foam. A family member has a bad back and sometimes to relieve the tension in their muscles they use an electric massager (fairly strong - will rattle your teeth). Previously rather than hold it up over their head, they would place it pinned against the back of the couch and rest back against it. They tried this with their new memory foam mattress and thought the massager stopped working. It didn’t just reduce the vibration, it eliminated it completely where it felt like the unit was off.

Obviously it’s not the same, one is a rapid sharp pulsation motion vs the deeper compression/motion of another person moving around so it may not react the same way. But it did a pretty good job at isolating at least some forms of motion transfer.

If you can, like Phoenix suggested, try it out for yourselves with various mattress types. Maybe try laying on a floor model for a little bit before your boyfriend even lays on the mattress, get comfortable as if you’re trying to take a nap. Then have him get on the mattress to see how much or little it disturbs you. Continue trying to rest while he changes positions trying to mimic what you experience at home best as you can. Hopefully it will help you find a solution so you can both get better rest.