My diy video / savvyrest mimic

I don’t see a lot of videos for how to make a mattress so I included mine here. I tried a savvyrest in the store and loved it in Dunlop S/M/F layers and I would have purchased if savvy rest had a zipper to access layers. I also liked Obasan but too expensive. I’m a side sleeper, thin and bony but tall. Flobeds has a nifty v-zone topper in talalay I thought sounded cool because it divides firmness in head to foot zones, but I wasn’t sure I would like it and what if my body proportions don’t fit in the right zones? I also decided I did not like the feel of talalay feel like I’m going into the mattress despite everyone saying it’s better for side sleepers. I liked having three 3 inch layers so that I had room to play around with firmness variations depending how it stacks.

I went with:

flobeds 9 inch cover. Arizona premium mattress cover would be cheaper and probably just as good but I wanted wool underneath mattress as fire barrier, and I didn’t want to mess around adding my own wool batting to the bottom.

I added coconut coir underneath mattress for moisture control. Underneath I put plywood over a zinus bed with slats 3 in apart. The coconut coir smells like new tennis balls but no smell after I put mattress on top. I was thinking of putting the coconut coir IN the cover but I’m glad I didn’t, because it’s cut one or two inches wider than standard mattress sizes.

For interior layers I used sleeponlatex organic Dunlop toppers 3 inches each of S/M/F. I agree with company, their dunlops are a little firmer than others but in a good way. The toppers arrived in 48 hrs well packed clean no smell good bounce right out of bag. The layers are not cut exactly (widths vary between 38.25 and 39.5) but I don’t think it ultimately matters much, they all squished in just fine. Unlike other photos of Dunlop 3 inch, I was pleased to see the vulcanization holes go all the way through for better ventilation. Sleeps very cool. On the other half I went firmer M/M/F – the difference is slight, but for most side sleepers I think it would be too firm. I tried for one night, it was doable, but no thanks. There was no gap between the twinXLs and there’s no dramatic difference in firmness or “sink in height” when rolling from one side to the other which is great.

On top of mattress I have a “breathable waterproof mattress protector” from Purple, and a washable wool mattress cover from woolroom on top.

It’s only been 5 days but my lower back pain is improving and I really like how it turned out! It seems a little firmer than the savvyrest I tried in the store but I can’t tell for sure. I really like the flobeds cover and I was very impressed with how quickly flobeds and sleep on latex shipped.

Here’s my building video hope it helps!

Congratulations on your mattress build, very nice video. Hopefully, you will enjoy years of comfort. You have created a system that works great for you!

Individual experiences with mattresses can indeed vary, the quality of materials, including the foam layers, can significantly influence sagging and long-term durability. In the case of some legacy brands, some have transitioned to lower quality foams, which contribute to issues like sagging and reduced longevity.

It’s not uncommon for manufacturers to alter their materials or production methods over time, and this can impact the overall performance of the mattress. Lower quality foams may break down more quickly, leading to sagging or a loss of support.

When selecting a mattress, it’s essential for consumers to consider not only the type of support layer (such as springs) but also the quality of the materials used throughout the mattress, including the comfort and transition layers.

The compression, rolling, and boxing of mattresses, as bed-in-a-box mattresses, typically do not damage the springs if the mattress is designed and manufactured with this method in mind. Mattress manufacturers that use this packaging method generally ensure that their mattresses are constructed to withstand the compression process without compromising the integrity of the springs.

The choice between Dunlop vs Talalay is a personal one. Just as a debate would be made about your sagging spring hypothesis, there are those will debate the Dunlop vs Talalay conversation.

Dunlop and Talalay latex are durable materials, but they have different characteristics in terms of firmness, feel, and consistency. The choice between the two often comes down to personal preferences and the specific feel you desire in a mattress. I am certain if you ask SoL and Flobeds that question about D v T you will get very different responses.

In the end, if it works for you, it is the “best,” if it doesn’t work for you, it isn’t even good.

I am happy that you found the right combination that meets your needs and expectations.

Congratulations,

Maverick

Thanks Maverick for the comments, it’s my first youtube video and i worked hard at it.

regarding talalay vs dunlop, there is so much variation and personal preference. I’ve heard heard some latex foams even differ from country of origin.

I have noticed different claims from different websites regarding durability, with most saying dunlop is more durable, while others claim that talalay is more durable. I don’t know what to believe.

1 Like

Depending on the application, believe both. LOL. Your video was great. Hopefully, it will get the hits it deserves.

This is Flobeds take on it Flobeds T v D This is SoL’s take on it SoL T v D.

Much like this if you are old enough to remember Tastes Great, Less Filling!

Enjoy your mattress in good health!

All the best,

Maverick

1 Like