My experience so far in choosing a Latex mattress

Hello,

First of all, thank you to the forum and especially Phoenix for all the wonderful information on this website.

My wife and I (both 26yo) are looking for a new mattress. She is 5’4, 110lbs, stomach/side sleeper. I am 6’1, 205lbs, back/side sleeper and I snore when flat on my back. I have also been lifting weights regularly for 5 years, so most of my weight is on my chest/back/bottom/thighs, not my waist. I have broad shoulders compared to my hips and what my wife likes to call a “bubble butt”. We have had a LUCID memory foam mattress for about 3 years. Lately my hips have been sinking in too much, causing low back pain (combination of heat, weight on hips, and a deteriorating mattress).

I found this website, read through all the guides, and decided to try out some local mattress shops that carried latex. I ended up really liking one (6"firm, 3"medium, 3"soft, all Talalay). I liked the way it let my shoulders sink, but I do think more lower body support would have been better. The sticker price was $5000 and I hate haggling so I decided to look online. We also tried the Pure Talalay Bliss “Beautiful” and felt about the same way. It’s so hard to compare when you try 3 different mattresses at 3 different places hours apart. One takeaway was that I really like the “responsiveness” of the Talalay.

While looking at these forums I came across the company Flobeds. I was really intrigued by their Vzone mattresses and figured it would be a good match for my somewhat unique body shape. I watched the videos on the website, starring Dewey, and decided to give them a call and got Dewey on the line. It was pretty neat to be able to talk to the star of the video! I told him about my wife and me, he customized a mattress while we talked, and sent it to me via email. I plan to send a few follow up questions this week and hopefully place the order next week, using the 5% member discount from this site. Once ordered we plan to purchase a Reverie 5D locally. Hopefully the haggling isn’t too stressful. Anyone have an estimate what one should cost locally? Online I see ~$2000, so you would think local could match or beat that due to high shipping costs.

I just wanted to start a thread to share my experience so far. I hope to update once I sleep on it a while and make adjustments.

Hi mrock42,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and thanks for taking the time to share your comments and experiences.

As you know I think very highly of Flobeds and you are certainly making a great quality/value choice. I’m looking forward to finding out about the configuration you end up with … and of course your comments and feedback once you’ve received it as well.

Post #6 here in the adjustable bed includes a few retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well. Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research. I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you call the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at websites. Many local and online adjustable bed retailers will also ship their adjustable beds directly from the supplier to the consumer rather than keeping them in stock.

Hopefully some of the members here that have recently purchased a Reverie 5D will see your post and share their comments about where they purchased it. I haven’t done much recent pricing research into adjustable beds but $2000 would seem to be a very reasonable price based on some quick searching and the lowest price I saw was $1949 from Mattress Firm on Amazon.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. Sent some final questions to Dewey and I think we’ll pull the trigger soon! Going to check out the Reverie 5d and comparable Ergomotion model(s) at local places soon.

I have a few questions on adjustable bases. I know they are fairly heavy and on legs. With all the weight from the base+latex+person do you think they will do damage to carpet underneath? How loud are they? How difficult are they to disassemble and move? We currently live in a third floor apartment so I don’t want to ruin the carpet or disturb neighbors underneath. We will also be moving in about a year. Is there a difference between the Ergomotion and Reverie for those concerns?

Hi mrock42,

I suppose that it would depend on the carpet itself (and I’m no expert on carpeting) but I wouldn’t think so no (although you would see the impressions of the legs over time).

The raising and lowering mechanism is very quiet (a slight hum) but the massage function is louder and has a noticeable “vibration” when you use it.

They are fairly easy to assemble and disassemble but they are very heavy and awkward and difficult to move and carrying it would be a heavy job for two people. Each half of a split king would be lighter and easier to handle than a queen which would be heavier.

The vibration may be noticeable to lower neighbors but it would depend on the apartment (with some apartments you can hear upper neighbors walking and with others upstairs noise is much less noticeable). Any vibration would be reduced with the carpeting and you can also use rubber casters under the legs to further reduce the vibration as well.

I haven’t done a side by side comparison between them so I can’t really make any meaningful or “accurate” comments but they would probably be “similar” in terms of noise. I don’t know the specific weight of each one but they would all be in the “heavy” range.

Phoenix