My impressions at Nest Bedding showroom NYC

Hello all,
I just wanted to give my impressions of the Nest beds I was able to try when I happened to be in NYC a couple weeks ago. We’ve been looking for a new bed, and I’ve been wanting to go the memory foam route this time (coming from innerspring). I am a heavy guy at 285 lbs. My wife is on the heavier side too. I tried the Nest Alexander Signature memory foam models in all three firmnesses, and also the Hybrid in both firmnesses.
The Hybrid model felt awesome upon first laying on it. It was like sinking into a cloud. I could have easily fallen asleep in the showroom. However, I noticed when I turned to lay on my side for awhile, that my hips felt like they were sinking down lower than the rest of my body. It was causing an alignment issue and I could feel a slight pain starting to happen in my hips. I knew this wouldn’t be good after an 8 hour sleep! I can’t help but wonder if it’s because of the multi-zone coil areas…maybe the center coils where my hips were, were just a little too soft for my weight.
I then tried the all memory foam in medium. While not cloud like soft, it was still comfortable. Laying on my side I noticed everything seemed to be perfectly aligned. I did not feel any pressure in my hips, or my shoulders.
The all memory foam in soft version felt nice too, but being a higher weight like I am I worry about how well I would stay aligned through the night. I did try the firm versions of the memory foam and hybrid, and they were just too hard for me. I also tried the latex version, and it felt a little too firm for my liking as well.
It’s a shame the Hybrid model didn’t keep me aligned better, or else that would have been the clear choice. I went back and forth between the Hybrid and Memory Foam many times. But in the end I think we are going to try out the all memory foam in a medium version. I hope it goes well! Hopefully taking the plunge on the new bed next month.

Hi bgaviator,

Welcome back again!

I would be quite cautious with a pocket coil with your weight. You would need very strong coils and I think that the consensus with most manufacturers I’ve talked with is that pocket coils that would work well for most people may not be the best choice for higher weights.

I would advise you to go back and reread the information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that I mentioned to you back in 2014, 2015, and 2016 that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges. There is more information about the many factors involved in durability in post #4 here (and the posts it links to) though that can help you decide whether one mattress or design is likely to be more durable than another. The most durable foam material would be latex and if you are looking for an innerspring then I would choose one that had low gauge (coils 12.5 - 13) and where the springs were connected together with helicals (not pocket coils) and were made to hold higher weights … and of course used high quality foam on top of the springs as well. Polyfoam in the range or 2.0 lbs or better, memory foam in the range of 5 lbs or better, and latex are all durable materials. Firmer versions of polyfoam and latex will be more durable than softer versions … especially in the upper layers.

Be sure to use the guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help with how to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Make sure you’ve read post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for, and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix