My Mistake: Comfort layer vs. support layer adventure and a question

Just wanted to share my mattress adventure that got FAR more interesting after I discovered this site. I have been so discouraged mattress shopping because of 2 badly failed S brand mattresses that were not cheap. So I learned from your site and went at it convinced that the problem was in the pillow top. I found most retailers were accommodating and although not knowledgeable about the mattress components, willing to help out as far as they could. Surprisingly, I had more issues from high end retailers when I was considering the possibility of a Vi_Spring out of desperation for example. I got iffy responses and 'attitude" for asking questions. They were much more inclined to insinuate that one should not question the components of such well crafted objects. One example was that I was told the warranty on the floor model would be the same, but when I contacted Vi-Spring directly (they answered all my questions very promptly and honestly) they said that is would not be valid. Another insisted that there was sufficient edge support in a lower end model combination when I was certain that there wasn’t since the floor model actually dipped down on one side just from having people sit on it. The end of the strenuous shopping story is that I ended up going with a cheaper tight-top until I live in an area where there may be options worth spending more. But that is not the end of the story.

I came home and decided to celebrate by dismantling the old mattress. I expected to find compressed foam. What I found after all my insistence on no pillow top and good foam quality, was that the foam was all in fantastic shape!! The issue was not to do with the pillow top, it was definitely that there was not enough core support -there was almost no firm foam density foam aside from the edging and it had flimsy innersprings. I also found that what was labeled a latex something mattress had about 1/2 inch of what seems like useless latex below the pillow top. Definitely not worth the probably inflated price just because it was in there somewhere. Anyway, now I have a tight top that I don’t expect to last too too long, but I learned so much from a combination of your website, looking at specs, and taking apart my old mattress that I consider it a stepping stone to future greatness when that presents itself.

But, I am left with a question on foam density. I think memory foam is a word to be avoided now since it got attached to ‘sleeping hot’ so there are many new fancy technology terms specific to companies. When it comes to things called ‘gel foam’ for example, should we assume t is memory foam and would it follow the same density recommendations?

Thank you for maintaining this awesome site!

Hi nuicoled,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

There are different types of “gel foam” because gel itself can be added to polyfoam, memory foam, or even latex foam so you would need to find out what type of foam the gel is being added to and I certainly wouldn’t make any assumptions but if the material is gel memory foam (which is the most common “gel foam”) then I would use the same density guidelines as regular memory foam as a way to reasonably assess the durability of the material. There is more about gel foams in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix