My Nest Alexander Hybrid is uncomfortable

I purchased a Nest Alexander Hybrid Medium four days ago, and I’m finding the mattress to be uncomfortable. I’m a 6’2" 230lb side-sleeper (though sometimes a “sprawl” sleeper). In particular, I feel pressure on my hip while I lie down, though I also wake up with back pain. I’m finding that I toss from one side of my body to the other at night because of this hip pressure.

I switched to the Alexander Hybrid from a Casper, which I found acceptably comfortable, though very hot (the heat being the main reason I switched). I contacted Nest about the discomfort and they say that my discomfort will go away once the mattress is broken in–about a month. Does this sound right? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. :slight_smile:

I had a very similar issue with my Alexander Hybrid. The top layers were just too soft and I found myself sinking right through them to the coils creating pressure points. I am only 145lbs so I can only imagine how much worse it is for you. Sadly when I bought mine they didn’t make a luxury firm model and I ended up having to return the mattress. If it helps though I am on my 5th mattress in a box now and in my experience with all of them is they do firm up a bit after a few days out of the box but given the low density foams in the Nest Hybrid you might not have a good fit given your weight and sleep style. Honestly I am surprised they didn’t recommend the luxury firm to you in the first place.

Hi hotpancakes,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your new mattress!

I’m sorry you’re having some discomfort adjusting to your new mattress. To be fair to both you and the mattress, it will generally take a few weeks for you to adjust to your new mattress, and the mattress to “adjust” to you. The mattress itself will tend to lose a bit of its “false firmness”, and your body will tend to adapt and lose some of its “learned alignment” from your previous mattress. How much this changes, and how fast, is of course very individualized, but it is normal. The forum is littered with hundreds of examples of people becoming much more comfortable after a week or two on their new mattress, regardless of brand/style/personal somatotype.

But be that as it may, here is some information about the many different symptoms that people may experience on a new mattress and some of the most common causes behind them in post #2 here that may be helpful. Issues with your hips being uncomfortable when sleeping upon your side can be from both a product that is too hard or too soft, and unfortunately I can’t diagnose this for you via an online forum, and it is entirely too soon in your adjustment process to put too much emphasis behind your results after four days.

If after a month you still find the mattress uncomfortable, Nest does allow for ether a return or an exchange, so it’s good that you chose a company with such a policy, just in case things don’t turn out as well as you had hoped. If you do come to that point, I would recommend a phone with them directly to discuss your concerns.

You didn’t mention what you are using under your mattress. As this can contribute to the performance of the mattress, you’ll want to make sure that it is a firm and flat surface, and that there is adequate center support. If you are using a slatted network, Nest recommends no more than 4" between the slats.

I’ll be interested in learning about your progress and if you do begin to adjust to your new mattress or if you end up initiating a change, and of course any other questions that you may have.

Phoenix

Hi zexpress,

While I certainly appreciate your comments, I’d be cautious about anyone taking their impressions of their experience with this (or any other) mattress and then applying them to anyone else’s, and expecting that what they felt is what someone else will feel (“pressure”, “soft” and “firm” are relative and often attributed incorrectly), just as I’d caution anyone to put too much stock into others on the site who have found this same mattress “too firm”, all who have had differing body types. There are simply to many personal variables involved, including levels of sensitivity, to predict how someone will respond to a mattress, or why they might have that particular response (especially after only four days of use).

You may be referring to some products “inflating” over the course of a few days, but foams in general will tend to soften and lose their “false firmness” almost immediately with initial use, with this being most noticeable in the first few months of use.

While I know it can be tempting to do, unless someone has enough experience about mattress design and theory to be able to assess the overall design of a mattress (which would be very few people in the country :wink: ), outside of knowing that it didn’t “work” for you personally, I’d be cautious again about predicting what may or may not be appropriate for someone else. As for low-density foams, that is not the case with this mattress. The 2" polyfoam is 1.8 lb, the memory foam is conservatively rated (to Nest’s credit) at 3.5 lb (most companies would rate this at 4 lb) and the 1.5 polyfoam in the quilt is compressed in the quilt panel, so for most individuals in a BMI or 30 or under these materials would be appropriate. What you may be alluding to is my recommendations for those of a BMI or 30 or above (hotpancakes is 29.5) that I prefer to recommend polyfoam at 2 lb and memory foam at 5 lb (see higher BMI guidelines here).

Phoenix