My three year DIY still isn't right. Not sure where to go from here

I’ve been flailing at getting my bed right. I’m guessing I don’t have actual comfort layers and thus I’m struggling?

Foundation: Latex Mattress Factory Natural Wood Mattress Foundation twin XL’s as king. 5.5" height
Base: 3" Sleep On Latex firm dunlop king
Base above it: 6" Foam By Mail HD36-HQ king
3" FoamSource talalay firm king
3" FoamSource talalay medium two twin XLs
Coop Mattress topper

No mattress bag/cover/protector. Just the fitted sheet on top of the Coop. We do like the height of the mattress overall and if possible would like to keep the height.

Have but aren’t currently using:

Foam by Mail LUX-HQ Foam king. Accidental purchase. Meant to get the HD 36

Arizona Mattress King Bamboo - Wool zippered cover. We feel the zippered top is too firm and we have no ‘feel’ of the latex. Excellent mattress bag though.

ViscoSoft 3" select high density mattress topper

We’ve acquired these pieces one at a time thinking each time we’ve added something we were going to find the ‘it’ finish piece. We haven’t.

Each day we wake up in pain. With the 6" FbM piece on the bottom on top of the foundation then the Dunlop, we both wake up with shoulder pain. So since the ILD of the SoL firm is more than the FbM 6" base, we put the SOL on the bottom then the FBM on top of it then the other layers. So basically a 9" base.

Now we have no more shoulder pain but we both have some mid back pain.

We also have eliminated using the Arizona bag as the cover makes the bed so firm we lose any sense of the latex. In addition, we also don’t care for the feel of memory foam. My wife had one of the first Tempurs and hated the sink in/heave yourself up to roll over so she’s 100% against memory foam. I also tried a

But I’m guessing that the problem I have is we don’t have any actual comfort layers. It’s all base and support?

The best bed we ever owned was a Denver Mattress Doctor’s Choice Elite Firm that fell apart after 18 months. I’m guessing because of the super cheap poly foam layers on top of the springs.

Its construction:

Quilt layers:
Stretch Knit Ticking featuring ICE Technology
1" Super Soft Antimicrobial Foam
0.5" High Density Quilt Foam
Natural Rayon Fire Barrier

Comfort Layers:
1" HyperGel® High Airflow 3lb. Visco Foam Topper
1" High Density 2.2lb Firm Foam Topper
Laminate Insulator

Support System:
Coil Density: 816 Individually Wrapped Queen Coil Density
Targeted Lumbar Support
3" High Density Base Foam

We REALLY liked this feel (the quilted top of the mattress specifically) until it of course collapsed with use and we didn’t achieve 2" of collapse so no warranty replacement.

Thus, my descent into DIYing hoping to get it just right and get some life out of it instead of spending $1500 every few years or $5000 on a matress that might last.

So where should I turn now? More latex toppers but softer ones? I’ve seen posts of maybe a 2" talalay 24 ILD and then a 1" 19 ILD but I can’t find anyone who sells a 1" talalay? Would they go inside the bag I’m not using? Spring base instead of the 6" FbM? Sleep Like a Bear cover?

We’re not super crazy about the Coop mattress topper as it flattens easily and doesn’t really provide the cush we’re seeking. It’s not much different than a down topper. Happy to stop using it for something more that we’re seeking.

I’m getting discouraged because I can’t achieve the feel I’m seeking but I’m gun shy on buying even more non-returnable pieces trying to get this right.

Help?

1 Like

Hi steve0617, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Sorry you have been having trouble finding a
good suitable mattress for you and your wife. A mattress is such a highly subjective purchase…no one can tell you what the perfect mattress for you both would be; it will be a combination of your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

You may want to start with basics: as you can see comparing the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines, latex is one of the most durable materials you can have in a mattress…you do have quite a few data points and components that have worked for you, but until you get the basics down - finding a suitable supportive mattress at your ideal comfort level, especially at the thickness you want. Your ‘best bed you ever had’ may have been comfortable, but as it lasted less than 2 years before ‘falling apart’ it was not really a good mattress!

Such a thick mattress with multiple ILDs and type of latex - Talalay is a ‘bouncier’ form of latex rubber, while Dunlop is ‘denser’ ( think difference between angel food cake and pound cake) - makes your DIY project - which can already be frustrating with only 2 or 3 layers, in order to ‘dial in’ the right feel and support - that much more complex, but a good latex mattress can provide many years of comfortable sleep.

You might want to look at the offerings if the Trusted Members; I would suggest talking to one of the DIY experts like APM, SleepEZ, [DIY Natural Bedding]or [DIY Natural Bedding](https://mattressunderground.com/list-all/item/diy-natural-bedding ), or a customized modulate sleep system like that from Custom Sleep Technology giving them some info line your Stats, PPP and mattress history, they can assist you in finding the right firmness levels for ideal comfort and support. A DIY mattress has the advantage of allowing ultimate customization, with the caveat it’s’ not unusual to need to do a lot of trial and error. Getting the input of an experienced manufacturer can save you a good bit of stress, time and expense.

If you can give us your Stats, we may be able to further comment on your specific layer and ILD questions. In any case - I wish you great success on your DIY journey!

~ Basilio