Myergobed or Silouhette Marsais??

Hello Phoenix! Thanks for all you do,as for the other mattresses mentioned they were all from links of yours, I believe the Regency from Newport Bedding has foam encased pocketed coils, soy based foams topped with 3 inch of Talalay infused with gel.

The Inspire from Custom Mattress is just all latex with organic cotton wool cover. I believe its on the floor and they are offering me that so am considering.

I am also contacting few others and checking online to see if I do go the all Latex route what is the best price since there is not much difference or is there?

:blink: :dry:

Sincerely confused LOL

Hi tgrafix,

One of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase is to make sure you know the specifics of what is inside any mattress you are considering. The information you would need to identify any weak links or make more meaningful comparisons is in post #4 here.

Once you have this information then along with the results of your own personal testing and making sure you have the information you need about the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you then you would be in a much better position to compare the “value” of one mattress purchase with another.

You will find there is a very wide range of prices, options, and designs for mattresses that use similar materials and components and one may also be a much better match for you in terms of PPP than another as well.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I’ve been shopping around and I am getting frustrated to point I want to get a cheap mattress on liquidation sale :blink:

I like Latex ones but only with more cushion and that drives up the price, and then I have also found 5 or 6 hybrids I like as well.

Here’s a few of the hybrids I was able to get some info on: 1 is called Serenity by Maxim Mattress — this is 18 inch Euro pillow top mattress - Softech Technology and Pocket Coil over Pocket Coil System for queen 660 + 1353 coil count… top layer memory foam, then there’s latex, and coils, foam, and coils. Encased with foam. I would like to call Maxim to verify specs.

Then there’s a hybrid by Spinal Care bedding, — one inch gel memory foam, 1 inch latex, then another inch of memory foam over coils. This felt like a memory foam bed and it has 1575 coils.

Another by Spinal care bedding is the Quantum that I saw has been discussed here, I didn’t get specs of it yet. They also carry an all latex which I haven’t tried but can be ordered.

Lastly, there’s a Stress o pedic that has soy based foam, 3 inches of latex and coils. I also am waiting on more detailed specs. These hybrids are from $899-$1299 price range.

Last hybrid mattress is a Simmons hybrid NXG with latex and memory foam over coils, its the cheapest at $500 liquidation. Sight unseen.

Other latex options are doing it myself buying 3 - 3 inch layers and the cover but I have never dealt with latex and wonder if I should attempt it (to lower costs)

Any suggestions appreciated

Hi tgrafix,

Unfortunately … none of these have enough information to make any meaningful comments about the mattresses. The information you would need is in post #4 here and if you can find this out and post it on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about them.

The specs of the Quantum and my comments are in posts #3 and #4 here and there are no obvious weak links in this mattress.

This could be a very risky purchase because it’s probably a warranty or comfort return in which case it wouldn’t have a warranty. There would also be no way to know whether it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and no matter what the price of a mattress … if isn’t suitable for you to sleep on them it would have little value to you. Once again though I would need to know the specs to make any comments about it outside of the fact that I would be very cautious about buying a mattress from a liquidator where there is no way to know if you are just buying someone else’s problem that could quickly become yours as well except you wouldn’t be covered by the warranty.

Phoenix

Thanks for the info one or 2 of these manufacturers I contacted are not giving me all the info from top to bottom he said that so others don’t duplicate the mattress, in any case — my 3 are now with Spinal Care Bedding or with the online latex here, but I did want to know if you know how to recreate the Pure Latex Bliss Prestige line, I liked this bed but it’s a very high price tag http://www.purelatexbliss.com/shop/mattresses/prestige-collection/prestige-collection-etoile-luxury-11-graphite-infused-talalay-3

Is there a real big difference with this graphite infusion?

Hi tgrafix,

I don’t think this is a legitimate reason for not disclosing the quality of the materials in a mattress because the specific properties or ILD’s and “comfort specs” of the materials still wouldn’t be known (and aren’t necessary to disclose) and would still be proprietary. Anyone that wanted to duplicate a mattress would still need to know much more information than just the quality of the materials and they could find out the quality of the materials and the design of the mattress anyway just by buying one and looking inside the cover and weighing out the foams. This type of answer is just a way to say “we don’t want you to compare the quality of our mattress to others” IMO.

To duplicate this you would need access to the same materials (and I don’t know where their graphite infused latex is available in individual layers) although you could probably “approximate” it if you knew the thickness and ILD of all the layers and had access to a similar cover that used quilted latex.

I don’t have any personal experience with the graphite infused latex yet and it’s not widely available but in theory it would affect the temperature regulation of the latex (and Talalay is already one of the most breathable types of foam) and to some degree the response and firmness of the latex as well. It could also make a difference in the fire retardant properties of the latex which may allow more flexibility in the type of fire retardant materials you could use in a sock or quilting.

Overall though … Talalay latex is already one of the most durable and breathable materials and is available in such a wide range of designs and firmness levels that for me there would need to be a significant difference in the feel and performance of a mattress that used it or was in this price range compared to other lower cost Talalay latex options using “regular” Talalay to justify the extra cost (and most likely higher margins) involved. While this would ultimately be an individual preference choice that each person would need to make for themselves based on their budget, preferences, and personal value equation … I wouldn’t choose it based on the fact that it used graphite infused latex alone compared to other mattresses that didn’t unless there was a very compelling and specific reason to do so that was important to me and there was “enough” of a difference that would justify the extra cost.

Phoenix

I need some final advice, I placed a deposit on an all latex but now found out some extra info - since I am side sleeper one rep told me that they have slept on all latex and found they are sore so I must try out the mattress much longer than 10-20 mins — I am side sleeper now am worried that I made wrong choice. The ILD is 32 and 9 inch Talalay, but I spent few mins on it — any advice for side sleeper 5’6 ?

Hi tgrafix,

Each person’s experience on a mattress can be very different from someone else (or even most other people) so the most effective way to decide on which mattress is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP for a local purchase is careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). Nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress.

I doubt that every layer is 32 ILD (although it’s certainly possible) and there are probably a combination of layers or components in your mattress with different ILD’s or firmness levels but if the top comfort layer is 32 ILD (and depending on the thickness of the layer and the other layers and components in the mattress) it may be on the firm side for some side sleepers that are in a lighter weight range but this certainly doesn’t mean that it would be too firm for you because each person is different.

Your own personal testing is the most reliable way to choose a mattress (and much more reliable than any “theory at a distance”) but if you still aren’t confident in your choice then I would make sure you have good options available to you after a purchase so you can use your actual sleeping experience to decide if you need to make any changes to your mattress or exchange the mattress itself after your purchase.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

that helps me out thank you, I forgot to mention in my PM to you, I am confused on foundations, should I fully get the mattress, they will make me a foundation with slats but covered with fiberglass so it’s a solid, since his concern was that the latex would fall through the slats. Which is correct, the various foundations I saw here are varied and I read somewhere if its solid there could be mold… :huh:

Hi tgafrix,

You can read my thoughts about solid surface foundations in post #10 here. A solid surface would be one of the risk factors that can lead to moisture retention in a mattress and the risk of mold, mildew, or dust mites although there would probably need to be other risk factors as well for mold to develop.

If you have a non flexing slat foundation and the gaps between the slats are less than 3" then there should be no issue with the latex sinking into the gaps.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, then I will ask them to not put fiberglass and perhaps just breathable material with slats 2.5 inches apart. I hope they can accommodate.

I just wanted to add the bed I am mentioning is made by Spinal Care Bedding Company (same company that makes Quantum) and the rep mentioned they get the latex from same place as PLB, and I believe the whole 9 inch is 32 ILD, since she mentioned they have a 24 ILD one you can order. Worse case can always add extra topper one I have is memory foam, if later I want more latex…

In any case I did go out to try the PLB firmer version I think it’s fine but again so little time, I can’t exactly be at store for 8 hours. I don’t have return capabilities and this mattress is like PLB in that there’s no zippered cover. It only has a cotton stretch cover and a non toxic fire barrier laminated on.

I think I am reading way too much and getting conflicting info about latex now, some companies many found on this site or mattress stores have told me all latex is not good or possible as a base, need a stronger core, your advice is appreciated.

Tgrafix

Thanks a bunch!

tgrafix

Hi tgrafix,

There are two Spinal Care Bedding companies but the one you are looking at is open and transparent about the materials and components they use in their mattresses and would be well worth considering.

Latex is generally produced in cores that are about 6" thick so an all latex mattress that is thicker than this would have more than one layer (and even a 6" latex mattress could also have more than one layer). The layers would each have their own firmness rating.

Outside of careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post … the information you would need to assess a mattress and make meaningful quality and value comparisons to other mattresses is in this article.

If you can post this information about the mattress you are looking at I’d be happy to make some comments about it or help you identify any weak links in the mattress but Spinal Care Bedding generally uses good quality materials.

You will hear many “marketing stories” and be exposed to a great deal of misleading information throughout the industry … and in many cases what you are being told is more about selling a particular mattress than it is about providing accurate information.

Latex can certainly make a great support core and an innerspring can as well. Your own testing on a mattress will tell you whether a particular design or combination of materials and components is a good match for you in terms of PPP.

Phoenix

I just got the info for the bed I am getting all 3 layers are 32 ILD, If I want the 24 ILD it would be 6 inch of 32 ILD and 3 inch of 24 on top, but it’s $200 more for that one. What do you suggest is good way to go? Is all 32 make it last longer?

I didn’t get to spend much time on it but I have been on PLB quite a few times to compare.

It is the Spinal Care you are mentioning they have the non toxic material

Hi tgrafix,

I would make your choice based on which one your careful and objective testing indicated was the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) without regard to any difference in durability between them which will not be significant because both of them are the same type and thickness of material.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

So I got my mattress and am shocked that its so firm, I didn’t think it’s so firm - my question is now, what I can do to soften it up, I was considering flexible foundation or soft latex topper, or worst case sell the bed, it’s completely covered with protector and pad and I also put my memory foam on it, and still I feel too firm.

What’s the least expensive way to cushion it up I guess is my question

thanks

Hi tgrafix,

I’m not surprised that using 32 ILD for all three layers would be on the firm side for many people (particularly if they are side sleepers in average weight ranges).

The most effective way to make the mattress softer and add additional pressure relief would normally be by adding a topper. There are some topper guidelines in post #2 here and the posts it links to that you can use as a reference point to help you choose a topper that has the highest chance of success.

Phoenix

Thanks wish I sprung the extra money for the 24 ILD top instead, in any case, I wanted to get your opinion on PLB topper 3 inch, I got one on loan from store listed in your LA post , and actually love it over the memory foam (also 3 inch) and a wool on top of the latex just for the quilt feel but I really like it. I have not tried to sleep yet but my first night on this new mattress I didn’t sleep well cuz I thought was too firm.

The PLB toppers are $499 new for 3 inch is there something you can point me too that will create same feel or I also can purchase the loaner I got at a discount, but it’s used.

I’ve had a rough day and night and maybe losing my mind but my mattress set up is now 26 inches tall but feels so much better.

Hi tgrafix,

The PLB toppers are generally either Talalay latex or Talalay GL fast response which are both good quality materials. They are both blended Talalay latex but the Talalay GL also has phase change gel in the material to help with temperature control a little (although Talalay latex is already among the most breathable of the different types of foam).

They are also very soft however which in a 3" layer can sometimes present some risk for alignment so I would make sure that you don’t go from one end of the scale to the other (comfort layers that are too firm to comfort layers that are too soft).

The ILD of a latex topper is the firmness rating and the topper you have would be in the range of about 14 - 15 ILD (which is the softest they make). Higher numbers would be firmer. The topper guidelines have some ILD and thickness suggestions and it also includes a link to some of the better latex sources I’m aware of where you can probably purchase a blended Talalay latex topper at a lower cost.

Phoenix

HI Phoenix,

I have been sleeping on my combo for two nights, it’s not that soft seeing that I have a wool type topper on top of the latex which I will remove tonight, but thing is I really like the PLB covers and since I don’t have anything else to compare I may just go ahead and purchase - giving it few more days to decide, but if you know where I can obtain the PLB cover maybe I can order a raw latex piece, and try ILD of 19, I want to stay in the soft range because I wanted softer bed but supportive.

Hi tgrafix,

There are other similar stretch knit covers available that would allow you to try different ILD’s of latex inside them but I don’t believe that PLB sells their topper cover separately.

Phoenix