Narrowed down to 2 (maybe 3) advice please :)

Hi. This site has been so helpful to my husband and I as we look to replace our 10 year old Sealy spring mattress.
We have been to many local stores and visited many online sites searching for the best mattress for us.

We have decided that a hybrid coil/latex is the way to go for us.

This is for a King to be used on a Reverie adjustable base. My husband is about 5’8 185 lbs and typically a back sleeper and I am 5’1 120lbs and sleep all ways but mostly side and stomach (which may change with a Reverie)

My favorite of the store models we tried was the Naturepedic Concerto which is 6" of Dunlop ( 2 separate 3" pieces) over a coil system. I preferred the soft on soft Dunlop that we moved around in the floor model. Cotton/Wool cover. After online research we have found 2 (maybe 3) that would be a good match for us,

The first is The Nest Latex Hybrid.

3" of latex over the coil system.
We love that they offer 100 night exchange/returns and free shipping/returns as well. Our concerns are:
only 3" of latex over the coils and also, they do not offer the dunlop latex in a soft or plush. The only firmness levels offered are medium and firm. We did try a 3" wool topper in a local store that I loved so adding one of those to give it a more plush/soft feeling would be a possibility though I am not sure that would “fix” a big difference in firmness. (total with a wool topper for this would be approx: $2300)

The 2nd is with Arizona (mattresses.net)

It would be the same set up. 3" of latex over the coil system. I also talked to him about adding an extra 2" Dunlop topper (to closer mimic the Concerto) which can be done. My concern is that I am in FL and shipping is quite expensive (which we are OK with given the lower cost of the mattress). If we needed to change out a layer, we’d be looking at about another $85 in shipping… Also, returns, while allowed, would be nearly impossible as the gentleman I spoke with stated “good luck getting those coils back to me”. I like what they do there but I am concerned about the difficulty of exchanges or returns should the need arise. (total for this would be about $1750 not including any exchange shipping)

I did just come across Luna bedding and see they offer a very similar bed 1…5" of talalay latex on top of the coils and then a 3" talalay topper. I tried a number of different talalay beds and toppers in the store and did find that I prefer soft dunlop-- I found it to be more comfortable than the talalay. We COULD purchase without the 3" topper for $1095 (1.5" talalay over coils) and then purchase a separate 3" dunlop topper elsewhere. (total of about $1650) I believe I have read that it is not a good idea to put Dunlop over Talalay? I am not sold on the Luma simply because Dunlop isn’t an option but would love your opinion on it. They offer a great exchange/return policy. Free Shipping and Returns.

I am not sure I have found my “Goldilocks” bed. Maybe with Arizona but again, I am concerned about my being “stuck” due to the difficulty with a possible return.

Thank you!

Hello EJS.

Welcome to our forum. :slight_smile:

This will be quite difficult on an adjustable bed base, unless he sleeps “upside down” (his head at the foot section of the bed) with the leg section slightly elevated. It sounds odd, but is actually is comfortable for some prone sleepers.

Naturepedic is also a high quality option and I think highly of them as well although they are generally in a higher budget range compared to other similar mattresses. A forum search on Naturepedic (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments, information, and feedback about them as well.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them (like the Naturepedic you tried and liked), any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one in post #9 here but the only way to know for certain that two mattress will feel the same is if they both contain the same types and blends of latex, all the layers are the same thickness and firmness, and they both have a very similar cover (including any quilting). Once there are differences between any of the specs between two mattresses then “approximating” a mattress based on specs can become much more difficult and the most reliable way to know how they would compare for any particular person would be based on your own side by side testing and personal experience because different people can have different opinions about how closely two mattresses with differences in their designs and components compare to each other because body type, sleeping positions, and individual sensitivities can also play a role in how they feel and compare. Of course, if you’re shopping online, comparing them side by side isn’t a possibility, so I’d again refer you back to phoning any potential manufacturer you’re considering.

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

When you’re considering items online and are unable to try out these products in person, be sure to investigate the return/exchange policies and be informed up front before you consider making a purchase.

Regarding the potential use of a topper, you certainly can always make a firm product a bit more plush in the future, but I would focus initially on mixing as few variables as possible and look at the mattress alone itself when buying online.

I spoke with Ken at Arizona Premium Mattress Company and he admitted that they always want to be up front and inform consumers that while they accept returns it is a bit more difficult to return a spring mattress. He mentioned that they have never had anyone return one of their spring mattresses so far, but as long as you have a good shop-vac you can return anything that they make. They have a popular video on youtube that describes the process, and it doesn’t look that difficult, especially if you have two people. Again, the key is that being an online company that they offer the ability to exchange/return products.

That would come down to a personal preference. Talalay, with a more buoyant feel, is popular as a top layer of a mattress. But if you prefer the feel of Dunlop, there is nothing wrong with using Dunlop as an upper layer.

I’m not sure what Luna bed you are referring to. Can you provide a link? But if you say you prefer Dunlop and they only use talalay, then the point for you personally would be moot.

As you know I think highly of Arizona Premium Mattress Company and Nest Bedding and they certainly make some great quality/value mattresses but as you probably know from your reading here the quality or value of a mattress has little to do with how well you will sleep on it because a mattress also needs to be a good match for you in terms of PPP as well.

Phoenix

Thank you for your reply and for the helpful information you provided!

One more question for you:

Do you have any thoughts on a King Reverie w/ a King mattress w/ both sides synced vs. 2 twin extra longs?

We like the idea of being able to sleep how we want without disturbing each other with the separate mattresses. However, we don’t love the idea of separate beds–would like to ‘meet in the middle’ without a gap or little divide, and also it is much less expensive to go with the King vs the two twins.

Is there something we aren’t considering?

Thanks!

Hi EJS.

Your comments are exactly correct. If you want individual variation, then you would need two twin extra long products. This will also assist with motion isolation.

As far as the gap in the center of the bed, if you’re ending up with a latex bed (like what you described in your previous post), there is really not that great of a gap between the two. These products tend to be squared off on the edges and are flexible, so when pushed together there really isn’t much of a noticeable gap, if at all. Innerspring mattresses with typical quilt panels sewn on top will have a greater curvature, where the top quilt panel slopes down to where it is joined by the side border panel, effectively leaving a “chasm” between the two mattresses, even when they are butted up against each other.

I would tell you to prioritize individual adjustability versus “meeting in the middle.” Most people find that the individual adjustability is key, and if using some sort of latex or memory foam mattress the mid-area really isn’t much of an issue. I would find it less comfortable if you were using typical innerspring mattresses (which it appears you are not).

Phoenix

I’ve been sleeping on my hybrid coil from Arizona Premium for about a month, and am so happy with it. I am a little more aware of the zoning in the coils than I thought thought I would be, but in a good way. I’m astomach/side sleeper and I’m finally able to sleep on my stomach without lower back pain in the morning because of the extra support in the middle from the zoning, but it’s soft and perfect for my upper body. I got the standard 3" topper in medium talalay. I was nervous if feel the coils through the 3" (I’m about twice your weight) but it hasn’t happened.

Forgot to say too-
It is about 13" with the standard configuration, adding another 2" will make it pretty tall (I ended up buying some new sheets since even some of my “deep” ones weren’t fitting as well as I like with the 13"). Not sure if that matters to you in your choice.

Thank you both!

The problem now is, AZ Mattress offers the coil system in only Queen or King. So, I’d have to go with an all latex from them or look elsewhere. I could get two twins from The Nest but again, that wouldn’t offer me a soft topper like I prefer and would be about $800 more than the King from AZ.