Narrowed down to Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver but have a few questions

First of all, thank you for this fantastically useful website! Everyone who participates here is awesome! I’ve read so many threads in the past few weeks and I am fairly certain I’m going to buy the Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver. My only hesitation right now is that I am not sure what firmness to get. My husband and I are both quite heavy, about 270 pounds for one and 250 pounds for the other BUT we’re losing weight (about 5 or so pounds a month). We’re both side sleepers. The chat rep suggested the firm version but I’m concerned it may be too firm. Any thoughts on that?

My second concern is whether the frame I have is sufficient. It’s the Spa Sensations Steel Smart Base from Walmart. We’re using it with a 5-year-old memory foam mattress (a “Serta” made by Sleep Innovations) right now and there is some sinkage into between the wires BUT I’m pretty sure the base foam for that mattress is far softer than the base foam for Brooklyn Bedding’s mattress. Do you think this frame would handle the new mattress well or should we pony up for a higher quality frame with more grid wires? Or possibly use the existing one for now and save up for a nice wood frame/foundation?

I know a lot of this decision comes down to what we value more but I was hoping you had some opinions or suggestions. Thanks!

Hi jessa:

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Congratulations on the weight loos. Keep up the good work. :cheer:

Brooklyn Bedding is one of the members here which means that I think highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. All of their mattresses use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them so they would certainly make a great quality/value choice.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer (like you already did) that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions (side for you), and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else. Their recommendation of the “firm” version certainly wouldn’t be unreasonable based upon your mass and BMI.

Personally, I can certainly help with “how” to choose, as it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I know you’re already deciding upon the BME, but I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Many online mattresses have a very good trial period and return policy so you can try them in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk (outside of the time you spend sleeping on it and/or returning it if that becomes necessary or any costs involved in the return process) so if it’s not a “good enough” match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP you can just return it and try another mattress if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for but once again you will only know whether it’s “good enough” to keep it and you won’t know whether it would have been better or worse or how it compares to other mattresses that you could have purchased instead that you haven’t actually tried in person.

I would focus upon your present situation and weight, and if you find the mattress to be a bit too firm a few years from now, you could always modify the surface comfort with a topper. But focusing on the “here and now” is always the best course of action, as you’ll be ordering this product to sleep upon it immediately. The BME does have a 120 night trial if you do find the product is too firm after trying it out for a few months.

As there is already some sinkage of the wire grid network, I would look at replacing this frame, as the mattress will have no choice but to contour to the surface upon which it is placed.

An all foam mattress will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components need to be strong and durable and stable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without any of the parts bending, sagging, or breaking over time. The support surface under the mattress should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. I would suggest that in a slatted support system (either a foundation on a steel or wooden bedframe or a platform bed with a slatted support surface) that any gaps between the slats are no more than 3" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than that would be better yet.

I wouldn’t use a wire grid foundation for an all latex mattress, and I’m still not necessarily a fan for long-term use with a foam mattress using a firm polyfoam core. It may be suitable with some modifications although it still wouldn’t be my first choice. You can see some of my comments about wire grid foundations in post #10 here and post #41 here. Additionally, most of them that I’ve seen also appear to have some percentage of customers that report squeaking issues that may be difficult to locate and solve although it may be possible to fix the squeak either by re-tightening any bolts or adding a washer or by lubricating any metal on metal contact points that are squeaking (including the angled braces).

Overall I think using a wire grid foundation as you described (albeit a stronger version) would make a reasonable lower budget choice for a mattress like the BME that has a firmer polyfoam base although as I mention is my previously linked posts it isn’t my first choice.

I look forward to hearing what you decide.

Phoenix

Just curious…when selecting different levels of firmness, what actually changes in the make-up of the mattress?

Brooklyn Bedding says they are 2’ Talalay Latex, 2’ Dunlop Latex, and 6’ Poly Foam for support. Do these measurables change at ‘soft’, ‘medium’, and ‘firm’?

Hi Pharhound,

The overall dimensions will stay the same, but the ILD of some of the foam(s) (the "hardness or “softness” of the foam) will change, with different ILD combinations being used.

The people at Brooklyn Bedding [/url]are very helpful and with a quick phone call or live chat on their web site they’ll be happy to provide a bit more detail about the variations. But in a nutshell, that’s what changes.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

[quote=“Phoenix” post=66572]Hi jessa:

snip

I look forward to hearing what you decide.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks so much for your help! We ended up buying the firm version of the #BestMattressEver and the wood foundation from Mattresses.net. I spoke with someone there and was assured that the weight limit was very high, so much that you could put a waterbed on it if you wanted and I know how heavy waterbeds can be. I used your promo codes to save a little bit more and now all I need to do is buy a new frame (already reading threads on here about heavy duty frames, haha) and then we’re good to go. I can’t wait for our new bed! I’ve been in pain from our bed for awhile now and I really hope this bed works out for us.

I did want to mention that the bed frame/foundation we had from Walmart actually broke this week, we had only had it for 80 days so we were within the 90 day return period for Walmart and got our money back, I would not recommend that frame for anyone who is heavy, it’s just not made as well as some of the others and the “weight limit” is not accurate. Luckily we had a backup (“Better than a Boxspring” that is no longer sold). The only reason we stopped using that one was because it started squeaking, badly. The wires are slightly bowed on that one but it still holds up the bed. It’s on its last legs, though.

Hi jessa,

Thank you for the update, and congratulations on your new mattress purchase! As you know, you made a good quality/value choice. :slight_smile:

Yes, waterbeds are very heavy, so you should be just fine.

So do I!

I’m sorry to hear that your frame broke, but I’m glad it was within the warranty period. I appreciate your feedback on your Spa Sensations Steel Smart Base.

I look forward to your comments about your new mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep on it for a while.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix! Just wanted to you let you know that all the parts for our bed finally arrived and we put it all together tonight. I haven’t had a chance to sleep on it yet so I don’t have any comments on the mattress but I have to say I’m fairly disappointed with the wood foundation from Mattresses.net.

It doesn’t feel all that secure and when I sat on the mattress at the bottom, I heard what sounded like cracking. My husband assures me that it’s not cracking but it sure sounds like it. I’m really worried about wood fragments falling off and hitting my cat since he loves to sleep under the bed. Also, one of the wood slats came apart from the ribbon that holds it all together. And also, there were a lot of wood shards from the foundation, I really wasn’t expecting that. I really wish I had bought a higher quality foundation.

Also, I wanted to mention that we splurged and bought the Knickerbocker Embrace bed frame. I LOVE it! It’s incredibly sturdy and took no time at all to put together. Pretty much idiot proof too, haha.

I did get a chance to lie down on the mattress and it feels really nice but I can tell it’s going to take a lot of time to get used to.

Hi jessa,

I’m glad everything arrived. I’ll be interested in learning about your experience with the mattress after you’ve had a chance to use it for a while.

I’m sorry to hear that, but the first thing I’d do is make sure that everything is secured properly with the corner bolts and the wing nuts. The product itself it quite simple and similar to many of the KD foundations available in the industry. The cracking noise can be common on KD foundations with some stress relieved from where the head to toe beams are joined together with their support pieces. If you’re not going to be moving the foundation often, I’d recommend following the instructions here and secure your cross slats with wood screws. It really does make a world of difference with any KD foundation.

It would be quite odd for "shards’ to come off of your foundation, or for wood slats to splinter off. Again, I’d refer to my suggestion above about using wood screw to secure the cross slats if you’re concerned about making your foundation as solid as possible.

Yes, those frames, while quite expensive, are very strong.

If you still have questions about your foundation, I wouldn’t hesitate to give the people at Arizona Premium Mattresses (Mattreses.net) a call. I’m sure they’ll be happy to be of assistance.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! I know we’ll be moving here in a few months so I’m hesitant to screw on the slats but if we move to the apartment we’re hoping to move to, the foundation will go straight up a set of stairs into a room so that’s not too bad. I’ll double check that everything else is tightened and I’ll check in the morning to see if any wood shards have come off. There were lots of little wood pieces that came off in the box and during assembly. They’re about the size of a common splinter and slightly larger, maybe an inch or two long and some slightly longer than that and thin. I’m concerned my cat will step on them and get a splinter. I might have to keep him out of the bedroom until we can be sure there are no more pieces falling off.

Hi jessa,

Small splinters don’t generally spontaneously fall off of the wood used in your foundation, and even if there was a bad piece of wood that cracked, it doesn’t tend to “explode” into small pieces like an untempered piece of glass.

Because KD foundations are unfinished pieces (not meant to be displayed like a nice oak table), the wood used isn’t as refined nor as smooth as a nice end table. It is common, like when at a lumberyard, for the edges to be not a smooth as a piece of wood that would have been intended for finishing, staining and display. Again, these small rough pieces don’t tend to fall off spontaneously. One thing that you could do, if you were concerned, is when moving your foundation to your new apartment, would be to simply run a sanding block along the edge of any board to remove any small pieces that you were worried about being a potential issue. I would think that most of the loose pieces you found when unpacking your KD foundation would have been small debris that are the result of the production process that were stuck to the pieces while packaging.

Again, I wouldn’t “lose too much sleep” :silly: over what you’re describing, but you certainly have a few options that I would pursue (especially screwing in the slats) once you move to your new apartment.

Good luck with the move!

Phoenix