Narrowed down to Helix Midnight Luxe (Medium) OR Wink Luxury Firm. Any feedback?

Hello all,

I have been researching mattresses for quite a while now, to the point that I feel INFO overload. If anyone has any feedback that can help me decide between the two mattresses or give me any pros of one over the other. Or after seeing our stats below has a better suggestion, I welcome feedback!
My husband and I sharing the bed. King size. Husband 270(ish) pounds, Solid built guy. mid-40s. Sleeps back and side. Not usually sore/issues after waking. Does have Knee issues.
Me: 150 lbs, mid 40s, sleeps back and side. Degenerative Disk Disease, bulging/herniated discs. Hip pain.
NEED: Medium Firmish bed that will help with spinal alignment, but need pressure relief! Tired of waking up with hip pain.
A mattress that will hold up to the weight of us both, our current mattress sags.

After research, we thought of the Helix and Wink plus, but thinking that will not have the pressure relief that I will need as it will be too firm. So I narrowed it down to Wink Luxury Firm (worried about Pressure relief with this one though) and the Helix Midnight luxe, Medium. Any comments ??? Other suggestions? I plan to get the very best frame support as I know this will also be needed! Thank you

Hi Momof_4.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

You’re not alone. Once you realize how much information is out there and start learning all there is to know about how to make the best purchase, choosing mattress components, understanding the durability of those components, how they are interrelated it’s easy to feel overwhelmed.

Thanks for sharing your stats. You did not mention this but your respective heights or your BMI (Body Mass Index) also play an important role in predicting the durability of any mattress you might consider. Higher range BMIs need to put a special emphasis on more durable materials and constructions and probably on mattresses that have firmer comfort and support layers (firmer materials feel softer for heavier people and firmer support layers are usually important to for good alignment for higher weights). I would especially make sure you read post #4 here about the factors that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress and also the mattress durability guidelines.

A higher BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). This could be firmer latex or innerspring (the type of support component would be a personal preference and in the right design either could be suitable) or even a zoned construction. The same overall guidelines apply with higher weights though that PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) along with using high-quality durable materials that will maintain their feel and performance for longer periods of time are the way to make the best choices. Heavier people, in general, will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. I wouldn’t “rule out” any types of mattress and base your choices on your own personal testing.Post #3 here~ has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

The key will be finding componentry that will be of appropriate quality for your specific situation, which will then give you the best chance at have a successful comfort life, so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components. Those in a higher BMI range want to be especially prudent in the choice of their components. For those in a higher BMI range, there is more information about selecting a mattress in thedurability guidelines here. Specifically, if your BMI is 30 or higher:

You can also learn more about general comfort layer recommendations in this article with regards to the varied sleeping positions.

Sagging and softening of the foams is often indicative of a foam breakdown, and most likely a main contributor to your pains. You can learn more in the Mattress Durability Guidelines linked above.
I don’t know how much you read since you found us but the first suggestion I would have is to start with the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones which would include the major brands such as Serta or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality of the materials inside it.

The weak link of a mattress is almost always in the use of low-quality materials in the comfort layers and if you don’t know the specifics of what is inside your mattress you have no way to identify any weak links in the mattress or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses so you would be making a completely “blind” purchase much like the hotel mattress you purchased (you can read more about hotel mattresses in post #3 here ).

The (13") Helix Plus is marketed for “big and tall” sleepers
• Comfort: Memory Foam with Tencel cover
o Helix Dynamic Foam
• Transition Layer: Firm Memory Foam
• Support: Tall pocket coil unit with perimeter support.
• Base Layer: DuraDense Foam

While this product is advertised for plus size people as stated on their site Helix plus uses 3.75 or 4 lbs/ft[sup]3[/sup] density foams, I’d offer a caution about the use of lower density memory foams in the top 4-6" of the mattress which may affect the durability and useful life of this mattress for plus size sleepers.

Wink Plus lists

• Two, 1" layers of 1.8 lb. density polyurethane foam compressed and sewn into the quilt
• 2.5" blended Dunlop latex
• 1" 1.8 lb. density transition foam
• 8" pocketed steel coils
• 1" polyurethane foam, 1.8 lb. density

While I can’t assess if this product is suitable for your comfort/support needs this product would raise some concerns in terms of durability and useful life of the mattress for sleepers with higher BMI ranges and refer back to the Mattress Durability Guidelines link above.

I would also recommend looking through our Trusted Member Directory who we think very highly of and believe they compete with among the best in the industry. They are transparent with their components and have your concerns as a consumer at heart and care more about your health and comfort than their bottom line.

I would always advise before making any mattress purchase that you have a detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced online retailer or manufacturer and provide them with good information about your body type, sleeping style, general preferences and history, some general information about mattresses you have tested and done well with, and any other specific information or circumstances that could affect your choice of a mattress.

Even though there is a lot of information to sift through …a mindful approach has the best chance of making a good mattress selection.
Please do keep us posted with any updates or questions that may arise.

Phoenix