Narrowed it down to two choices - Brooklyn mattress total latex or select Sleep Center

So I joined recently and have been looking through lots of the postings, and I think I’ve narrowed it down it down to two choices. Im looking for a cal king with split softness, and somewhat green construction. We’ve previously tried European sleepworks, which I liked, but DH hated, probably because it was too soft for him. Then we’ve had a couple of conventional medium firm with pillow top mattresses, both of which broke down quickly. We are both fit and fairly light weight, but I have more pressure points than some and like a really soft top layer. DH is back sleeper, I prefer side, but I recently tore my acl skiing so I’m also stuck sleeping on my back for a while. I talked to Brooklyn mattress and their total latex seems like a good deal at $1899, plus they will give you a 5% coupon and two free pillows if you like them on Facebook. Only downside is that it is harder to guess the perfect feel long distance, and in some ways I would prefer three layers rather than two. Local to us is select sleep center, and they will totally custom build a bed for $1730 (more if all latex), and give you six months to swap out layers. DH kind of likes the base coil layers (bouncy!), but then they will do 2 layers of 2 inch talalay layers over that, with a zippered organic cotton/wool cover top layer. They get rave reviews for customer service and you can lie down on all the mattresses, and they can deliver by mon or tues and set it all up. The base layer can also be made out of latex or memory foam, but he said most people prefer the coils, and they have multiple coil options. Any thoughts?

Hi valli,

You are certainly looking at some very good choices (Brooklyn Bedding who are members here and Don at Select Sleep Center who I also think highly of).

The best suggestion I can make would be to use the information and follow the steps and guidelines in post #1 here and when you have eliminated the worst choices and are down to choices between “good and good” then to use the parts of your own personal value equation that are most important to you about a mattress purchase to make your final decision.

It’s great to see you looking at good options though and I would always start with local testing so you can become familiar with different materials and mattress designs regardless of where you end up making a purchase.

Don’t forget that PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and your Personal preferences) along with the quality and durability of the materials and your ability to make meaningful quality and value comparisons between mattresses by knowing what is in a mattress you are considering are the most important parts of any mattress purchase (see post #5 here)

Phoenix

Decision made! I went to Select Sleep Center today and tried out a bunch of mattresses, and decided to get the following: Support layer medium firmness European pocket coils on my side, European firmer open coils on DH’s side, topped with 2 layers of 2 inch natural Dunlop latex. Top layer is ultra soft latex (16-18 ILD), second layer is medium (what they call firm, but it’s more like medium 24-26 ILD), and the whole thing is covered in an organic cotton/wool cover. The mattress is about 12-13 inches thick. The salesperson had mistakenly quoted me the price for one layer of latex over the phone, but he was very kind and agreed to honor the lower price for two layers. They don’t carry the latex core as a standard item, although they do it as a special order. I tried the latex layers over a firmer foam base, but I prefer the feel of the pocket coils. The pocket coils are European tempered steel with an extremely high coil count. The bed felt extremely comfortable, and it’s reassuring to know that we can swap out elements for up to six months, and they have a ten year warranty. They will bring it on Monday or Tues and set it all up, as well as taking away the crappy simmons mattress. Price was $1700, plus tax. I can hardly wait.

Hi valli,

Your mattress sounds great!

Some of the most knowledgeable people I know that could sleep on anything they want sleep on innerspring/latex hybrids.

I think you made a good “custom” choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you have the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix